2023-24 Around the NBA Thread

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The NBA Draft may be two days in 2024.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Stupid. At least on a single day your 2nd round audience would have just stayed after the 1st. Now you want people go out of their way to watch the 2nd round with very little incentive?

Apparently the average number of players in a given draft that actually stick and succeed in the league is 12. 12! And how many of that 12 on average come from the 2nd round? I'd say 1 at the most, but it's probably less than one on average.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of the NBA Draft being two days. Of course, I remember when the draft went 7 rounds.

However, the Suns need to value the draft and developing players more than they do now. I'm not sure that is going to happen under James Jones.

I guess we will find out if and when the Suns get a G-League team.

Last edited:

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Stupid. At least on a single day your 2nd round audience would have just stayed after the 1st. Now you want people go out of their way to watch the 2nd round with very little incentive?

Apparently the average number of players in a given draft that actually stick and succeed in the league is 12. 12! And how many of that 12 on average come from the 2nd round? I'd say 1 at the most, but it's probably less than one on average.

It's just dumb all we really want to see are the top 3, then top10, from there its a crap shoot. No one wants this to be a two day event, just another cash grab.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I like the idea of the NBA Draft being too days. Of course, I remember when the draft went 7 rounds.

However, the Suns need to value the draft and developing players more than they do now. I'm not sure that is going to happen under James Jones.

I guess we will find out if and when the Suns get a G-League team.
Alvin Scott, anyone?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I bet the ratings for round 2 will be about 10% of the round one ratings. Certainly less watched than if they just carried over on the same night.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
You'd have to be a real die hard fan to tune in specifically to see the second round round of the NBA Draft.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bet the ratings for round 2 will be about 10% of the round one ratings. Certainly less watched than if they just carried over on the same night.
That’s what I was thinking. This ain’t the NFL.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yep. There are a lot of value in the later rounds of the NFL draft because the rosters are so large. The NBA though? You're talking about a full day dedicated to kids that are going to either be end of the bench of G League players. Not sure there is a market for that.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I posted the odds through NBA history sometime last year. After the first round the odds of sticking in the league beyond your rookie contract are not so good. I don't blame people for not watching. They should just keep this one day.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I posted the odds through NBA history sometime last year. After the first round the odds of sticking in the league beyond your rookie contract are not so good. I don't blame people for not watching. They should just keep this one day.

I consider myself a rather avid fan and outside of checking my phone and noticing that the Suns are about to pick, I pretty much tune out the NBA draft sometime around the 20s.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to Shams Charania, everyone is likely on the table in trade talks for the Warriors except Stephen Curry.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The only way they could make people watch day 2 is if they blocked trades on day 1. Then have trade coverage with the 2nd round on day 2. I can't see them doing that and I'd imagine Woj, Shams, and others would be breaking deals early to earn their money so not even sure if it would help all that much.

The only other way to draw for day 2 would be only covering the lottery on day 1. That would give more weight for day 2 but it would be weird to split a round.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The only way they could make people watch day 2 is if they blocked trades on day 1. Then have trade coverage with the 2nd round on day 2. I can't see them doing that and I'd imagine Woj, Shams, and others would be breaking deals early to earn their money so not even sure if it would help all that much.

The only other way to draw for day 2 would be only covering the lottery on day 1. That would give more weight for day 2 but it would be weird to split a round.
Your last paragraph is the only way I can see that can make this even have a chance to be successful. Start day 2 with pick 14 and you'll at least have some interest from the bigger markets that have later draft picks.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm not sure they're looking to increase audience numbers. The only way this decision makes sense to me is if the second round is already a ratings disappointment and they are moving it to a less valuable time slot.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to Shams Charania, everyone is likely on the table in trade talks for the Warriors except Stephen Curry.

Anthony Slater thinks they're going to trade Wiggins.

Kerr has said twice recently he doesn't like playing Wiggs and Kuminga together, and the stats bear it out. If you can get anything for Wiggs you take it but you're not getting Siakam for Wiggs even if he is Canadian.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Anthony Slater thinks they're going to trade Wiggins.

Kerr has said twice recently he doesn't like playing Wiggs and Kuminga together, and the stats bear it out. If you can get anything for Wiggs you take it but you're not getting Siakam for Wiggs even if he is Canadian.
Yeah, there was a chance before the OG trade, but now RJ fills almost the exact same role and is both younger and cheaper (albeit only marginally).

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone talk me off the ledge . 2 straight embarassing blowout losses for the Warriors and then UCLA loses 90-44 to Utah. Outscored by 36 in the 2nd half, doubled up.

At least I knew the Cards would be bad this year. What a horrible sports season for me.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Someone talk me off the ledge . 2 straight embarassing blowout losses for the Warriors and then UCLA loses 90-44 to Utah. Outscored by 36 in the 2nd half, doubled up.

At least I knew the Cards would be bad this year. What a horrible sports season for me.

You've come to the wrong place. We're Suns fans that would trade our own children for half the titles the Warriors have won in the last decade.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You've come to the wrong place. We're Suns fans that would trade our own children for half the titles the Warriors have won in the last decade.

I get that but remember I went 40 years between titles with some of the worst NBA teams around with the Warriors.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
The NBA Draft may be two days in 2024, June 26th and 27th.

I would watch both days if the Suns were involved.

That's laughable. I can barely even see NBA beat reporters or die hard sports bloggers tuning into a second day of the NBA draft, let alone casual fans. Guarantee that more people will tune into reruns of Bob Ross painting.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's laughable. I can barely even see NBA beat reporters or die hard sports bloggers tuning into a second day of the NBA draft, let alone casual fans. Guarantee that more people will tune into reruns of Bob Ross painting.

I used to so enjoy the draft. When I lived in the Valley, I attended almost every one.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are we sure that's what they're trying to accomplish? I haven't read the articles on it but has anyone indicated that the second round will be prime time? If so, it makes no sense as we all know they can't sell it. Maybe I'm way off base but I think this is a cost cutting decision and really expect them to move the second round to a less valuable time slot (daytime).

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns don't use their first round pick in the upcoming draft, I can see them trading down for additional second round picks or using it to trade for a player on draft day.

I wouldn't mind another player like Toumani Camara.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard