2023-24 Around the NBA Thread

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Portland got more for Holiday then we got for Ayton - and we're talking about a 33 year old PG

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like that trade for the Celtics
I like it better for Portland even though they are just collecting assets. Jrue at 33 has a lot of mileage on him and he's always been a little injury prone. Get him in big games when he's healthy and he's a superstar but most of the time he's just an above average guard. And that looks to me to be a bit of an overpayment for an above average guard unless Brogdon is considered negative value these days.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Portland got more for Holiday then we got for Ayton - and we're talking about a 33 year old PG

Jrue Holiday is a much better player than Ayton at this stage. He is a starter at point guard for a contending team.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Celtics were at the top of Jrue Holiday's wish list. Also, it helps fill the void left by the departure of Marcus Smart.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Ayton doesn't play hard for the Trail Blazers, Robert Williams will eat his minutes. Maybe they move some players elsewhere.
He might if he can stay healthy but that isn't going to happen. He's pretty much the poster boy for the NBA's oft injured team. He makes AD look like Cal Ripken.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jrue Holiday is a much better player than Ayton at this stage. He is a starter at point guard for a contending team.
Yeah, short term, there's no comparison. It's the kind of all in move you make if your window is open and you don't expect it to stay that way for long.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He might if he can stay healthy but that isn't going to happen. He's pretty much the poster boy for the NBA's oft injured team. He makes AD look like Cal Ripken.

He is still a player that will push Ayton. That's probably what Portland wants.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a good haul for Portland in the trade surrounding Lillard.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is still a player that will push Ayton. That's probably what Portland wants.
That's quite possible but I suspect they are just trying to add value rather than put together a cohesive unit. IMO, if they're smart, they'll feed DA for half a season, talk him up every chance they get, and then trade him for a lot more than they gave up. And if they can get and keep Williams semi-healthy they'll move him to a championship contender around the same time.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Boston had to do that with Lillard in Milwaukee. I’m thinking Portland isn’t done.
Agreed. Portland will ship out Williams due to autin and bridging due to age.

That said, as of now Portland has received:

Ayton
Williams
Brogdon
Toumani
3 firsts
2 swaps

That’s pretty close to what nets got for KD.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Teams appear interested in acquiring Malcom Brogdon.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's quite possible but I suspect they are just trying to add value rather than put together a cohesive unit. IMO, if they're smart, they'll feed DA for half a season, talk him up every chance they get, and then trade him for a lot more than they gave up. And if they can get and keep Williams semi-healthy they'll move him to a championship contender around the same time.

It will be interesting to watch. Portland has made some perplexing trades in the past.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like Malcolm Brogdon will be traded.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now the Celtics have three stars.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I love how Portland just keeps downgrading PG's and adding value at each step. They went from Lillard to Jrue to Brogdan and will probably end up with someone like a Tyus Jones or TJ McConnell next they'll somehow squeeze a 1st out of.

If they showed this sort of ability to flip and improve their war chest then Lillard probably gets a ring in Portland. Scoot is primed to be surrounded by some quality players while he comes into his own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn