2023-24 Around the NBA Thread

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They both re-signed… and left, Harden left because the owner is a cheapskate.

I wasn’t even counting George, he forced his way out in no time.

Superstars don’t get traded in the NBA unless they want to get traded.

I think it’s more likely that SGA forces his way out of there in the next 2 years than seeing anyone force their way in.

George was fine in OKC. Kawhi made the Clippers trade for him but prior to that there were no demands by PG-13 that he wanted out. That's part of the reason the Clippers had to pay so much for him, OKC were competing at the time. They then elected to trade Russ and blow it up completely but they would have kept course with Russ and George if Kawhi didn't throw a wrench in their plans.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t see any star player forcing their way to OKC.

It’s the least appealing destination in the league.
Again, it's not always about the city for some players, it's forcing their way to a team with a good chance at titles - and I can see that with Giannis.

Not to mention even if OKC isn't the first choice the team doing the trading is likely to very much prefer them for the amount of assets they have that no one else can compete with, so the player just may have to settle.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Again, it's not always about the city for some players, it's forcing their way to a team with a good chance at titles - and I can see that with Giannis.

Not to mention even if OKC isn't the first choice the team doing the trading is likely to very much prefer them for the amount of assets they have that no one else can compete with, so the player just may have to settle.

Superstar players go where they want to go, and I’m sorry, I just don’t see anyone wanting to go to Oklahoma City.

I also don’t see any star player convincing himself that going to Oklahoma is their best chance to win when no one will want to join them, and their owner is unwilling to pay to keep a team together.

They do have a lot of assets, they’re going to need them, because even retaining their own guys is going to be difficult.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My Geoff my lawn post of the day is…why are giving random nba players hot mics to talk into? I don’t really care what the Austin River, Myles turner’s, etc have to say.lol

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some crazy crap in the water. Gambo says Lillard happens in 24 hours

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Some crazy crap in the water. Gambo says Lillard happens in 24 hours

He seems to also think Ayton may be a part of the deal... with Nurkic coming our way.

Yuck. Ayton, even as frustrating as he can be, is significantly better than Nurkic.

Nurkic is a hair above JAG status and has zero potential to improve. He also misses a lot of games with injury.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
My Geoff my lawn post of the day is…why are giving random nba players hot mics to talk into? I don’t really care what the Austin River, Myles turner’s, etc have to say.lol

I'm with you. And the poster child for this phenomenon is Kendrick Perkins, who is now shoved down our throats as ESPN's lead analyst, for some inexplicable reason.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He seems to also think Ayton may be a part of the deal... with Nurkic coming our way.

Yuck. Ayton, even as frustrating as he can be, is significantly better than Nurkic.

Nurkic is a hair above JAG status and has zero potential to improve. He also misses a lot of games with injury.

Nurkic is not good and hasn’t played 60+ games since 2019

That’s a big downgrade. I wonder if picks would be coming back to the Suns to kind of restock the cabinet

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nurkic is not good and hasn’t played 60+ games since 2019

That’s a big downgrade. I wonder if picks would be coming back to the Suns to kind of restock the cabinet
Yeah, this one would make no sense to me even if it included 4 firsts and three swaps. For his career he's averaged just over 50 games per season and there isn't much to like about his game other than some stats.

Sure, getting 4 firsts and pick swaps would be a surprisingly good return for DA. But unless we can turn around and package them for some other big man that would actually help us win games, it makes no sense to gather future value for a team in win now mode.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looking at the financial side of the deal and I'm not sure how Ayton goes to Portland, Dame to Miami, and the Suns end up with Nurkic and Caleb Martin. The financials are a mess and it would need to include a 4th and possibly 5th team in the deal.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marcus Bagley signs with the 76ers.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I don’t think he was fine in Charlotte. They made zero effort to retain him.

I’m not saying he’s a cancer, but I don’t think guys like playing with him. I expect him to drive dudes like Embiid and PJ Tucker nuts with his terrible decision making.

Given the recent talk about Oubre, I was amused to be hit by this pop-up ad just now.

You must be registered for see images attach

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
George was fine in OKC. Kawhi made the Clippers trade for him but prior to that there were no demands by PG-13 that he wanted out. That's part of the reason the Clippers had to pay so much for him, OKC were competing at the time. They then elected to trade Russ and blow it up completely but they would have kept course with Russ and George if Kawhi didn't throw a wrench in their plans.

Paul George was going to force his way to Los Angeles. I'd say it was the "worst kept secret" but it wasn't a secret, everyone knew. Paul George wanted to go to LA. He stayed in OKC one extra year because the Lakers couldn't max him after signing LeBron and the Clippers were mess, the instant he had a viable path to contending in LA (Leonard heading to the Clips) he forced his way there.

The NBA has the longest season in sports, I know the MLB plays more games, but the NBA calendar is longer than any other league. If you make a deep playoff run, it's a 9 month season. Destination matters and OKC is, by a wide margin, the last city anyone would want to live among the league's 30 teams, and I expect, if you're rich, the gap is far far larger.

If they ever contend for a title again, it will be with a young roster... just like the last time they contended. OKC not winning with 3 guys who will be first ballot hall of famers, drafted by the team, all of them winning the MVP award, having them all in their prime, having them all leave in their prime... is insane. I cannot think of anything remotely close in league history.

In the modern era, where players have a ton of leverage to pick where they want to go... there is ZERO chance that OKC attracts outside, superstar talent... zero.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

That confused the hell out of me. I was like "When did Marcus Bagley play for ASU? Dude went to Duke." and then was surprised he was a free agent that drew essentially no Interest. I would have kicked the tires on a minimum deal for sure. Then I realized that's is Marvin Bagley's brother. The Bagley's parents are cruel for giving them such similar names.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Given the recent talk about Oubre, I was amused to be hit by this pop-up ad just now.

You must be registered for see images attach

I love your sense of humor, but this one might be going over my head.

You know that is LaMelo Ball, right?

Granted, given the Ball brother's injury history, there is a good chance he plays as many games in Charlotte as Oubre this season.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That confused the hell out of me. I was like "When did Marcus Bagley play for ASU? Dude went to Duke." and then was surprised he was a free agent that drew essentially no Interest. I would have kicked the tires on a minimum deal for sure. Then I realized that's is Marvin Bagley's brother. The Bagley's parents are cruel for giving them such similar names.

I lost track of Marcus Bagley as well, even though he played some basketball at ASU.

However, he was mostly invisible due to injuries and suspensions.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Report Warriors will not sign Dwight Howard.

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

While true, "parts of 3 seasons" is a pretty generous description. Didn't he play like 15 games in total? I remember how excited I was when Bobby Hurley landed both Bagley and Josh Christopher...

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While true, "parts of 3 seasons" is a pretty generous description. Didn't he play like 15 games in total? I remember how excited I was when Bobby Hurley landed both Bagley and Josh Christopher...

The talent was certainly there. I might see more of them in the NBA than in college.