2023-24 Around the NBA Thread

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Havent you heard, his legacy is secure.

What a buffoon.

the thing I don't get with him is he didn't have some wasted development coming up. He played on an elite HS program with a bunch of other elite kids. Played at Michigan when they had arguably as good a development staff as there was in college hoops. And then the Warriors.

It appears he's just still very immature. So crazy, the Warriors don't win 2 years ago without him, he was HUGE on that team because Klay wasn't close to 100%. But when everyone expected him to take the next step, he just went completely downhill and hasn't come back.

You gotta assume the Draymond punch and the reaction by so many which was almost he must have deserved it somehow, just spiraled him out of control. The general perception seems to be picking Wiseman doomed the Warriors run but I would argue the demise of Poole actually did. If he was as good today as he was 2 years ago, he'd still be on the team and they'd still be dangerous.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Long, deep dive, twitter thread, breaking down how overrated Luka Doncic is.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I knew he was a stat padder and a defensive disaster but I wasn't aware just how well Dallas has played when Luka isn't around.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Beating a dead horse at this point, but good lord, it is night after night with this guy doing something utterly bizarre.

What the hell was that?!

The Suns probably could have had Poole for CP3, straight up... and it is wild that I'd rather have Beal in street clothes than Jordan Poole in a uniform.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Beating a dead horse at this point, but good lord, it is night after night with this guy doing something utterly bizarre.

What the hell was that?!

The Suns probably could have had Poole for CP3, straight up... and it is wild that I'd rather have Beal in street clothes than Jordan Poole in a uniform.

I floated the idea of a Poole/Wiseman for Ayton trade before the deadline when Wiseman was moved and then a Poole for Ayton swap after DA no showed in the Denver series. I knew Golden State would move him and I thought it would be easier to trade Ayton for a CP3 type of replacement and then CP3 for an Ayton replacement. Not a lot of teams trade guys at the same position for one other unless someone is willing to accept a downgrade at that spot for pieces elsewhere, like the Ayton trade became. Anyways, I was so very very wrong to think Poole just needed a fresh start elsewhere. Honestly I understand more each day why Draymond beat his ass. Not that I condone that behavior but it's the one physical altercation Draymond's been in that makes some sense.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Clippers are the most uninspiring team that has multiple star players that I can remember. They stink.
Yep, they show very clearly the importance of team chemistry and role players - but also most of their supposed stars are no longer truly stars.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yep, they show very clearly the importance of team chemistry and role players - but also most of their supposed stars are no longer truly stars.

You can’t have 4 guys who need the ball in their hands to be effective, even if they are all willing passers. Their offense has no movement.

Also don’t help that Harden and Westbrook are awful defenders.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score

What the hell was that?!

Draymond knocked him permanently silly

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban selling majority stake to billionaire Miriam Adelson, will retain control of team​

Mark Cuban is apparently selling a majority stake of the Dallas Mavericks.

The Adelson family is currently in the process of buying a majority stake of the Mavericks, according to longtime NBA reporter Marc Stein and The Athletic's Shams Charania. Cuban is expected to remain the controlling owner of the franchise despite selling a majority share of the team.

Miriam Adelson — who is the largest shareholder of the Las Vegas Sands — sold about $2 billion worth of stock in the company earlier on Tuesday with the goal of buying into a sports team, according to CNBC. She is purchasing into the Mavericks at a $3.5 billion valuation, per Charania.

The Mavericks were last valued by Forbes at about $4.5 billion, which made them the seventh-most valuable franchise in the league. By comparison, the Golden State Warriors topped that list at $7.7 billion. Adelson is the fifth richest woman in the world, according to Forbes. She inherited about 56% of Las Vegas Sands when her husband, the company’s founder, died in 2021.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
He’s also walking away from Shark Tank. Is he divesting of a bunch of stuff for a Presidential run or something?

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He’s also walking away from Shark Tank. Is he divesting of a bunch of stuff for a Presidential run or something?
(Not political opinion but answering with facts)

He says he won't...but that was in July

He's more Libertarian.

Adelman is financially Trump's #1 supporter.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lakers with the blowout lost to the 76ers…has lebron saying a lot change is needed. Unfreaking real, this guy is calling for more help and trades if you read between the lines. Media finally seeing that they aren’t as good as they were pegged to be.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lakers with the blowout lost to the 76ers…has lebron saying a lot change is needed. Unfreaking real, this guy is calling for more help and trades if you read between the lines. Media finally seeing that they aren’t as good as they were pegged to be.

This is almost becoming routine. However, it worked last season.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban selling majority stake to billionaire Miriam Adelson, will retain control of team​

The Adelson family is currently in the process of buying a majority stake of the Mavericks, according to longtime NBA reporter Marc Stein and The Athletic's Shams Charania. Cuban is expected to remain the controlling owner of the franchise despite selling a majority share of the team.

Miriam Adelson — who is the largest shareholder of the Las Vegas Sands — sold about $2 billion worth of stock in the company earlier on Tuesday with the goal of buying into a sports team, according to CNBC. She is purchasing into the Mavericks at a $3.5 billion valuation, per Charania.

The Mavericks were last valued by Forbes at about $4.5 billion, which made them the seventh-most valuable franchise in the league. By comparison, the Golden State Warriors topped that list at $7.7 billion. Adelson is the fifth richest woman in the world, according to Forbes. She inherited about 56% of Las Vegas Sands when her husband, the company’s founder, died in 2021.
Ugh. Cuban’s Mavs beat the Suns in having a championship.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kerr may finally have seen enough of Draymond. Pulled him when he flopped, argued the call then got a T and then fouled on purpose right after it.

Completely blew the lead, they have to win by 12 to advance in the tournament and Draymond killed them by being selfish

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kerr has lost his mind. Puts Draymond back in the game after he completely sabotaged the team. Then Moody goes nuclear, 11 in like 3 minutes and made another 3 that got wiped out by a moving screen, dead ball brings in Wiggins for.... Moody. Even the announcers were wondering why.

I get that he's won 4 titles with Draymond but in the state of mind he's in right now you can't trust him.

Terrible game both Payton and Paul got hurt, Payton's looks like a serious one like miss a bunch of time to the calf, Paul at his age will probably miss 2 weeks his seems to be a foot injury.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Malik Monk steals the Warriors soul. Steals the ball in the backcourt then hits a stepback 3. Then makes an impossible bank shot around Wiggins to win the game.

And Kerr again blew it challenging an obvious offensive foul call on Curry so he didn't have a timeout to advance the ball after the go ahead shot.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Payton getting an MRI on his calf today, they seem to think he's going to miss quite awhile. He was visibly upset when he went to the back last night.

Sounds like CP3 is going to miss time too.

Will be interesting one of the "hot" local rumors was Kuminga involved in a deal to get Nikola Vucevic. I'm a fan of his but I don't see the fit, they need rim protection on defense that's not him. Good offensive player, great rebounder, he'd help them but the fundamental issue on defense is lack of rim protection. He's big, but not a rim protector.

Kuminga has had his moments but last night was terrible, the 2 injuries and then him doing so poorly really weakened the bench. I'm assuming if both GP2 and CP3 are out extended time we'll see Poziemski get more run and of course Moody.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is almost becoming routine. However, it worked last season.

Works all the time for this guy. The national media is a joke. The Lakers made the conference finals, they are the team to beat now, they have continuity and kept their pieces together, the Lakers had the best off season, the Lakers have too much size, Austin Reaves is the next greatest thing..

Just stop! Now the media is finally coming to terms with them. Glad the spotlight has been on the Clippers and Lakers, always fun to watch them suffer.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the Warriors falling apart right now at least I can root for Jaime Jaquez. Watched the 2nd half of his game last night against the Bucks before the Warriors game. I knew he was good, saw every game he played at UCLA, but he's been pretty impressive as a rookie.

52% overall 39 from 3 which is better than he was at UCLA. Because he's playing more guard his rebound numbers are nothing like they were at UCLA but last night he was often playing the 4 and held up, even at times guarding Giannis and at one point guarding Brook Lopez for several trips. Love to see guys who work hard get rewarded.

Coming out of halftime the sideline reporter said when she talked to the Bucks the coach said one of their primary concerns was Jaquez, he really impacted the game in the first half and they needed to find a way to stop him, said he's got as good a pumpfake and footwork as any rookie he's seen in years.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

How can you retain control when you don't own the majority of the team - that seems like a recipe for disaster.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
How can you retain control when you don't own the majority of the team - that seems like a recipe for disaster.
Maybe. But I'm pretty sure 80 year old Miriam Adelson isn't taking an active role in running the basketball operations, or that she even particularly has an opinion about who to hire to do so. Might as well let Cuban continue to.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Server didn't own a majority share but was the managing director, or whatever title he had. I believe he owned the single largest stake but I suspect something similar in Dallas. Cuban still holds a nice chunk and it's mainly an investment for the Adelson family. I heard her nephew is going to be the main family guy involved.

Main difference is I can't see the Adelson family going along with the sale if there wasn't a way to oust Cuban. Sarver had language written in that made removing him as the managing director damn near impossible short of a sale. There could also be some timeline worked in as well, he maintains control for X number of years as someone in the family learns more about the league and ownership, not all that different to Colangelo having a couple of years when Server came in.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Torn fight calf muscle for GP2, out several months.

crap