2023-24 Around the NBA Thread

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know where to post this, delirious through lack of sleep and have started going deep in my head on recent basketball.

Kawhi going to the Clips... that is quietly an absolute disaster for that franchise. He goes there, he has seemingly been injured for every meaningful game, and in really bizarre situations, somehow the Clippers never seem to know if Leonard might get healthy soon or how bad he is hurt. I'd say they are being cagey but Kawhi basically ran this bit on the Spurs too, used it to force his way out.

Then you factor in that Kawhi strong arms the Clips into getting George, who is also hurt constantly and cost them a fortune to acquire.

If the Clips never sigh Leonard that means they also don't get George. They get back all those picks that OKC has on their docket, they also get back Shai, they also have a huge amount of cap space/flexibility while being in a premiere market.

They're probably in a similar spot OKC is now... only instead of being in Oklahoma City, they're in LA. The only reason OKC isn't terrifying to me is because I don't think anyone wants to live in OKC... I am not even judging basketball players here; I have zero interest in living in the plains states, if I was making millions no matter where I was... OKC might be my bottom destination in the NBA.

On the other hand, you take all that youth, picks and cap space... and now it is in LA.

Thank god the Clips got greedy and tried to get rich quick.

Have you ever been to OKC? Absolutely the worst big city I've ever been to. I've been there twice, couldn't leave fast enough either time. Unlike most other major metropolitan cities there isn't really a large city you can escape to quickly either.

On the basketball side though, I think that's a deal you have to make though. They paid a lot for George but since they were getting Kawhi for nothing the cost wasn't too much. Of course Kawhi hasn't been healthy there and seems to be keeping his health status a mystery from the team but George was excellent when they acquired him. He hasn't been healthy since he's in been in LA though and I'm not sure how many games he's sat for rest vs legitimate injury but he was a legit MVP in OKC just before the Clippers acquired him. Since he didn't demand a trade out of OKC, the Thunder were able to get a strong package for him. Things haven't worked out for him in LA as anyone envisioned.

I can't see LA with the draft capital OKC has. OKC was smart and sold off whatever they could to acquire more picks and have drafted well also. LA would have had a few swings but they wouldn't have been patient and rented out cap space like OKC. Of the picks LA has given up the Thunder have selected Tre Man and Jalen Williams. Tre Mann is ok, nothing to lose sleep over losing, but Williams looks like a strong wing who could be a real stud. He was 1st Team All Rookie this last year also. So losing him and Shai sucks, especially with how Shai has developed, but I also don't know if SGA develops as well as he has without having that year with CP3 before being handed the reins to the Thunder. So it's an interesting what if, for LA, probably a bad move but not one that will haunt them for long because they're in LA and will always be a destination of some sort. If they were the Wolves or some other smaller market then it would be hard to swallow and recover but I think it was the right play for a team in LA or NY to make.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Our repulsive overpay for Durant is skewering reality.

... It is virtually impossible to give up more for a player than we gave up for Durant. It should not have happened and it won't happen again.

Also, the Sixers have engaged in far worse trades than Atyon, Cam Johnson, 4 firsts and a swap for Embiid, that isn't even a bottom 3 trade for them in the last 5-10 years and it's almost certainly a better deal than whatever they're going to get for Embiid when they are forced to move him in the next year or two.
Sorry man, this is delusional. But because it’s make believe world you’re entitled to your own fantasy.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Just because he jumps around during player introductions? For all we know the players found him annoying.
They seemed to be engaged by him in those videos. You can tell when players don’t buy into something in video. It’s not like someone told us, we got to actually see it b

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the head of the statue does not look like Kobe.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think they wanted the stubble of his beard, which made it look weird. I think that's what's throwing me off, and that the face seems to need to be thinner.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you ever been to OKC? Absolutely the worst big city I've ever been to. I've been there twice, couldn't leave fast enough either time. Unlike most other major metropolitan cities there isn't really a large city you can escape to quickly either.

On the basketball side though, I think that's a deal you have to make though. They paid a lot for George but since they were getting Kawhi for nothing the cost wasn't too much. Of course Kawhi hasn't been healthy there and seems to be keeping his health status a mystery from the team but George was excellent when they acquired him. He hasn't been healthy since he's in been in LA though and I'm not sure how many games he's sat for rest vs legitimate injury but he was a legit MVP in OKC just before the Clippers acquired him. Since he didn't demand a trade out of OKC, the Thunder were able to get a strong package for him. Things haven't worked out for him in LA as anyone envisioned.

I can't see LA with the draft capital OKC has. OKC was smart and sold off whatever they could to acquire more picks and have drafted well also. LA would have had a few swings but they wouldn't have been patient and rented out cap space like OKC. Of the picks LA has given up the Thunder have selected Tre Man and Jalen Williams. Tre Mann is ok, nothing to lose sleep over losing, but Williams looks like a strong wing who could be a real stud. He was 1st Team All Rookie this last year also. So losing him and Shai sucks, especially with how Shai has developed, but I also don't know if SGA develops as well as he has without having that year with CP3 before being handed the reins to the Thunder. So it's an interesting what if, for LA, probably a bad move but not one that will haunt them for long because they're in LA and will always be a destination of some sort. If they were the Wolves or some other smaller market then it would be hard to swallow and recover but I think it was the right play for a team in LA or NY to make.

A bit of nostalgia that relates favorably to Oklahoma City.

In my youth, my family and I used to drive back East, about 1500 miles, to visit family. We moved to Phoenix when I was quite young. The trip was almost a yearly event.

One of the highlights of the trip was getting within range of an Oklahoma City radio station. Too bad I can't remember the name. It played great music and it was quite powerful. We could listen to it for much of the journey.

One of the things the DJ would often say, and I remember it fondly, "it's mighty pretty in Oklahoma City."

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A bit of nostalgia that relates favorably to Oklahoma City.

In my youth, my family and I used to drive back East, about 1500 miles, to visit family. We moved to Phoenix when I was quite young. The trip was almost a yearly event.

One of the highlights of the trip was getting within range of an Oklahoma City radio station. Too bad I can't remember the name. It played great music and it was quite powerful. We could listen to it for much of the journey.

One of the things the DJ would often say, and I remember it fondly, "it's mighty pretty in Oklahoma City."
I'm not sure if it's the same one but in the 60's my favorite station was KOMA out of Oklahoma City. We spent our summers in a cabin in Walker (near Prescott) and it was the only radio station we could get there. I tried getting it in Scottsdale at night but it was real spotty. But in Walker, it was crystal clear at night.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's the same one but in the 60's my favorite station was KOMA out of Oklahoma City. We spent our summers in a cabin in Walker (near Prescott) and it was the only radio station we could get there. I tried getting it in Scottsdale at night but it was real spotty. But in Walker, it was crystal clear at night.

It's probably the same radio station, but I couldn't find the saying, "it's mighty pretty in Oklahoma City," no matter where I looked.

The music seemed so good back then.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's probably the same radio station, but I couldn't find the saying, "it's mighty pretty in Oklahoma City," no matter where I looked.

The music seemed so good back then.
Sorry, I can't help you there as I don't recall ever hearing that slogan. But it was a very powerful station from OKC so it's possible that it's the same one. I know when I was stationed in Germany in the 70's I ran into several soldiers that grew up listening to that same station and they came from all over the US.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I can't help you there as I don't recall ever hearing that slogan. But it was a very powerful station from OKC so it's possible that it's the same one. I know when I was stationed in Germany in the 70's I ran into several soldiers that grew up listening to that same station and they came from all over the US.

There is a song composed by Bobby Troup named Route 66 containing the lyrics “Oklahoma City is mighty pretty.” I bet that is where the saying I heard on the radio came from.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sorry man, this is delusional. But because it’s make believe world you’re entitled to your own fantasy.

Fine...

Again, just watch what Lillard and Embiid get moved for. Our package for Durant will far exceed it and Durant is worth less than either player.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Fine...

Again, just watch what Lillard and Embiid get moved for. Our package for Durant will far exceed it and Durant is worth less than either player.
Arguable since Durant has won multiple titles and not Lillard or Embiid. Also, Durant's shooting is on a historical level, period.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Arguable since Durant has won multiple titles and not Lillard or Embiid. Also, Durant's shooting is on a historical level, period.

Durant's titles in Golden State weren't really his accomplishments. Add Embiid or Lillard to the Warriors and they win titles too.

KD joined a team that was a title winning team before he arrived and after he departed. It's funny to see how the narrative shifted among basketball fans here since KD became a Sun. A lot of people now gushing over KD were the same who trashed him for leaving OKC to join the Warriors.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Durant's titles in Golden State weren't really his accomplishments. Add Embiid or Lillard to the Warriors and they win titles too.
I can’t believe you just posted this. Tell me, why do the trade haters tear down KD? I don’t get it.

Off-season Suns fans. We go through this nonsense every offseason.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can’t believe you just posted this. Tell me, why do the trade haters tear down KD? I don’t get it.

Off-season Suns fans. We go through this nonsense every offseason.

It's true. KD is a good player but he didn't win anything on his own in OKC or Brooklyn. I'm not sure why you're denying that. You even said as much back then when he joined Golden State. It's funny how you view everything through purple and orange glasses.

I happen to think it's KD's way of taking the easy out to get a championship. Why bother working hard if you don't have to?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It's true. KD is a good player but he didn't win anything on his own in OKC or Brooklyn. I'm not sure why you're denying that. You even said as much back then when he joined Golden State. It's funny how you view everything through purple and orange glasses.
On his own? What do you mean on his own? Nobody wins chips “on their own.”

Are you saying that KD isn’t a historically good basketball player? Because seems like you want someone that wins titles regardless of who is around him. There was only one guy that could do that and that was 60 years ago.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The off season can't be over quick enough. Kevin Durant doesn't have any haters.

Some didn't like the trade because the Suns gave up too much to get him.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is someone saying that KD did it alone? I didn't see that. Also, the idea that they are not KD's accomplishments is crazy. They are not his ALONE but I didn't think anybody said that.

Count me as one of the people that question KD's choices in the past not to lead teams verses join super teams but that has more to do with what stage in his career he is in. That will forever follow his legacy. However, I take no issue with guys at the end of their career ring chasing in any sport. KD joining Book and and old ass CP3 (at the time) is hardly a comparative move to joining Golden State. CP3 was at the end. KD is nearing the end of his career. People seeing this situation different is not purple and orange glasses. If this was 5 years ago, we had Book and a loaded roster already BEFORE he joined I would be there with you. It's not. Adding Beal and Gordon are post KD moves. It's false equivalency.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
On his own? What do you mean on his own? Nobody wins chips “on their own.”

Are you saying that KD isn’t a historically good basketball player? Because seems like you want someone that wins titles regardless of who is around him. There was only one guy that could do that and that was 60 years ago.

Really going to quibble over me saying on his own? We all know he wasn't alone in OKC or Brooklyn. He had top tier teammates on both teams but couldn't lead either team to a title. He had to take the easy way to a title by latching onto a championship team that didn't need him to remain a championship winning team. History proves this. Go ahead though and keep projecting your own views onto others though. I'm not a "KD hater" by any means, I'm happy he's here but he's 34 years old and his best years are behind him. The way the narrative keeps shifting with those who have been all about the KD has been amusing to follow. First he was brought in to lead us to a title and then once Booker outplayed in the postseason and KD looked rather mortal, he's now here as a secondary guy. It's all good though because Ishbia has money and will spend to get us the best team possible except when he sends off our backup PG to save money, clearly showing he's got a line he won't go across. Rather than being open and admitting that though you want to quibble and trash Payne for some reason.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really going to quibble over me saying on his own? We all know he wasn't alone in OKC or Brooklyn. He had top tier teammates on both teams but couldn't lead either team to a title. He had to take the easy way to a title by latching onto a championship team that didn't need him to remain a championship winning team. History proves this. Go ahead though and keep projecting your own views onto others though. I'm not a "KD hater" by any means, I'm happy he's here but he's 34 years old and his best years are behind him. The way the narrative keeps shifting with those who have been all about the KD has been amusing to follow. First he was brought in to lead us to a title and then once Booker outplayed in the postseason and KD looked rather mortal, he's now here as a secondary guy. It's all good though because Ishbia has money and will spend to get us the best team possible except when he sends off our backup PG to save money, clearly showing he's got a line he won't go across. Rather than being open and admitting that though you want to quibble and trash Payne for some reason.
No this is amusing. Who are these people? The vast majority of people here maintained it would still be Book's team even with KD. Unless you are cherry picking a couple posters, there is no narrative shift for most of the fans. The hope was that when Book was doubled or he struggled that KD could takeeover. Even KD said from jump this would still be Book's team. I don't recall this massive shift with Sun's fans saying this was now KD's team to lead us to a title.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoObstacles92