2023-2024 Transfer Portal Thread

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
This is the new normal for ASU. Any player with some talent will be leaving for better opportunities and unfortunately ASU will not be able to buy their way out of that happening, maybe ever.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we are already there, but it has yet to be fully realized. IMO, NIL money will decide divisions.

It's time for the NFL to have their own G-League.
If the NFL starts a G League type of situation, do you think it would completely devastate college football quality? I’m not saying it’sa horrible idea but I feel like it would turn D1 football into one giant Group of 5 mess

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
So, I feel like we are well on our way to something like this already and we might be closer than we think. There has been alot of talk during this whole realignment surge the past few years and the consensus is that there will be two major conferences that will ultimately split from the NCAA and basically run their own seasons and championships. Would guess that those two conferences will be the SEC and B1G. Each will cap at 24 teams and those 48 will be the ones competing for the “real” championship.

People like to suggest it will be 64 total teams but I think it will be the lower amount. Those two conferences will still schedule out of conference games against Group of 5 teams because of the paydays they can offer. Maybe some of the leftover Power 5 teams will join in on the non conference games.

These super conferences will have salary for all players on the active roster and they will be professional athletes who go to school.

Those two super conferences will then negotiate even better TV deals than before because of their prestige. Everyone left out of this environment will essentially be playing for a lesser championship of some measure.

The Bowl industry will not entirely collapse but there will be a dramatic shakeup of how they are utilized.

A team like ASU probably finds itself on the outside looking in and thus the quality of recruit will drop a little.

All this from my apocalyptic mind

I would wager this is 100% where it's headed. Probably within the next 10 years. There will only be 40 or so teams competing in Division 1 football... and only the most profitable programs.

I think we are already there, but it has yet to be fully realized. IMO, NIL money will decide divisions.

It's time for the NFL to have their own G-League.

This is also a likelihood, and probably also within the next 10 years. All of the (what are now) elite college players will end up in the NFL "minor league" and the various tiers of college ranks will pick from the remainders.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would wager this is 100% where it's headed. Probably within the next 10 years. There will only be 40 or so teams competing in Division 1 football... and only the most profitable programs.

This is also a likelihood, and probably also within the next 10 years. All of the (what are now) elite college players will end up in the NFL "minor league" and the various tiers of college ranks will pick from the remainders.
What is the incentive to the NFL to finance something like that when the colleges handle that for them?

The NBA can handle it due to the size of rosters but I don’t know

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
What is the incentive to the NFL to finance something like that when the colleges handle that for them?

The NBA can handle it due to the size of rosters but I don’t know
Well, for one thing, it gets talent into the pro system to be developed faster, so less of an investment risk than the current system where drafted players have a higher probability of failing. Quarterback being the most relevant position that is highly problematic under the current system.

But it will more likely end up being a case of the NFL just not wanting to compete with colleges for talent, as will increasingly be the case. Guys are already talking about delaying going to the NFL due to NIL (like Caleb Williams). If the NFL just takes the most talented players out of HS and puts them immediately into a developmental league, it will head that off AND actually be a better long term investment for the NFL and a better situation for players. Plus it might also save much of whatever traditional structure college football still has left.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the NFL starts a G League type of situation, do you think it would completely devastate college football quality? I’m not saying it’sa horrible idea but I feel like it would turn D1 football into one giant Group of 5 mess

There needs to be a new divider in what used to be amateur sports.

NIL has blown that model away.

I'm thinking more and more athletes should be signed as contractors of the school and have an agreement which includes NIL.

Those players who violate the rules could be terminated and be subject to penalties under the NCAA or another governing body which includes eligibility.

Players making millions of dollars from donors shouldn't be parading around as student athletes.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Get use to the 2 and 3 star kids we've seen the last few recruiting cycles because the 4 and 5 star kids are way out of ASU's price range. It's going to take whatever NIL money ASU raises to keep Rashada and even then it may not be enough if some major program sees him as a must have. Burns and Gambo mentioned the fact that he didn't set the world on fire last year may increase ASU's chances of keeping him.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Burns and Gambo mentioned the fact that he didn't set the world on fire last year may increase ASU's chances of keeping him.
Probably the only reason he stays around. I wouldn't get too comfy rooting for Rashada.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Probably the only reason he stays around. I wouldn't get too comfy rooting for Rashada.
Personally I think he is gone. Gambo threw out a little nugget yesterday and while I am usually skeptical of him I agree it made sense. He mentioned Kurt Warner's son EJ just entered transfer portal yesterday and ASU makes sense. Had a good year at TEM last year and hometown kid and son of local NFL HOF hero is a good storyline for ASU and seems on brand with Dilly bringing kids back home if it happens.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Personally I think he is gone. Gambo threw out a little nugget yesterday and while I am usually skeptical of him I agree it made sense. He mentioned Kurt Warner's son EJ just entered transfer portal yesterday and ASU makes sense. Had a good year at TEM last year and hometown kid and son of local NFL HOF hero is a good storyline for ASU and seems on brand with Dilly bringing kids back home if it happens.
Is he any good? Too lazy to look it up

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Is he any good? Too lazy to look it up
You must be registered for see images attach

Threw the ball a lot the last couple of years, back to back 3,000 yard seasons. Not a big kid, 6'0 190 is what he is listed at.

OP
OP
SeattleCardinal

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
E. Warner didn’t have any P5 offers coming out of high school, but it seems like there will be some big-school interest in him. I do not know how good he is, given the competition level, but Warner in Tempe would be a nice storyline.

OP
OP
SeattleCardinal

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Interesting choice for Clark. I can't imagine he will get much playing time - maybe as a nickle? Maybe it has more to do with academic goals in this case.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The college football landscape is getting really depressing. I'm happy that some of these young men are getting paid, but they're not even getting a slice of the actual pie. They made a whole new pie (NIL) and expect fans and alumni to pay for it. I can't imagine anyone who isn't insanely rich donating money to these NIL collectives.

Last edited:

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The college football landscape is getting really depressing. I'm happy that some of these young men are getting paid, but they're not even getting a slice of the actual pie. They made a whole new pie (NIL) and expect fans and alumni to pay for it. I can't image anyone who isn't insanely rich donating money to these NIL collectives.
The players never cared what pie the money comes from. They just wanted any pie and they are getting it.

I think we’d be surprised how many fans would kick in $100 or more to fund NIL at some of these schools

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
College football will become just like college basketball where the coach’s will be the most well known people on the team, because it will be a rotating cast of characters on the field every year.