2023-2024 Transfer Portal Thread

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'd expect more but ASU doesn't have blue chip kids anyone would want, maybe Badger & BJ Green.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
More dark times coming to ASU Football... We need a new AD with a proactive approach to NIL - and quickly.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Question for everyone as it relates to the portal:

Do we really care if Rashada leaves?

I think the answer is they gotta try to keep him at this point. If he stays, next season will be critical for Jim.

Follow up question:

Do we think he leaves this off-season?

I expect he will at this point. As I understand it, he is currently not getting much NIL (per SOTD podcast). So if he is not getting money and given the general state of the roster, there will be suitors.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Those are the two that the ASU collective is going to have to pay up for, I think, to have a chance to keep them. Rashada staying is not a certainty either.
I don't think Rashada can transfer again with the new NCAA rules unless it doesn't count if they never played a game for a school, in his case Florida.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think Rashada can transfer again with the new NCAA rules unless it doesn't count if they never played a game for a school, in his case Florida.
He never registered for classes so it was like he was never there as I understand it

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Yay, our best player left, and now all our remaining good players are under the microscope with the vultures circling. This is college football now for all but about 10 teams.

OP
OP
SeattleCardinal

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yay, our best player left, and now all our remaining good players are under the microscope with the vultures circling. This is college football now for all but about 10 teams.
I think that the number might be more like 30 teams, but ASU ain't one of them.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So basically their is no longer an art to recruiting. Guys known to be top recruiters like Kenny Dillingham are nullified and it comes down to who can pay the most in NIL. I now see why Anderson took the Golden Parachute, ASU is never going to be able to compete financially for blue chip recruits so like many have mentioned ASU will not be among the Top 30 programs for the "Super Conference" we know is coming.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So basically their is no longer an art to recruiting. Guys known to be top recruiters like Kenny Dillingham are nullified and it comes down to who can pay the most in NIL. I now see why Anderson took the Golden Parachute, ASU is never going to be able to compete financially for blue chip recruits so like many have mentioned ASU will not be among the Top 30 programs for the "Super Conference" we know is coming.
They could if they got creative.

Their NIL donation program looks pretty lackluster from the outside. Make it engaging for fans, make weekly or monthly behind the scenes for their sports teams, Hard Knocks style - all sports. Benefits to attending sporting events if you're a NIL donator, idk. Make it so the average income fan wants to donate and feel like they're getting something out of it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

It's getting harder to separate college sports from professional sports.

Maybe there should be divisions based on the amount of money teams pay players through NIL or skip the sham entirely and treat it for what it is, professional sports.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's getting harder to separate college sports from professional sports.

Maybe there should be divisions based on the amount of money teams pay players through NIL or skip the sham entirely and treat it for what it is, professional sports.
So, I feel like we are well on our way to something like this already and we might be closer than we think. There has been alot of talk during this whole realignment surge the past few years and the consensus is that there will be two major conferences that will ultimately split from the NCAA and basically run their own seasons and championships. Would guess that those two conferences will be the SEC and B1G. Each will cap at 24 teams and those 48 will be the ones competing for the “real” championship.

People like to suggest it will be 64 total teams but I think it will be the lower amount. Those two conferences will still schedule out of conference games against Group of 5 teams because of the paydays they can offer. Maybe some of the leftover Power 5 teams will join in on the non conference games.

These super conferences will have salary for all players on the active roster and they will be professional athletes who go to school.

Those two super conferences will then negotiate even better TV deals than before because of their prestige. Everyone left out of this environment will essentially be playing for a lesser championship of some measure.

The Bowl industry will not entirely collapse but there will be a dramatic shakeup of how they are utilized.

A team like ASU probably finds itself on the outside looking in and thus the quality of recruit will drop a little.

All this from my apocalyptic mind

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
So, I feel like we are well on our way to something like this already and we might be closer than we think. There has been alot of talk during this whole realignment surge the past few years and the consensus is that there will be two major conferences that will ultimately split from the NCAA and basically run their own seasons and championships. Would guess that those two conferences will be the SEC and B1G. Each will cap at 24 teams and those 48 will be the ones competing for the “real” championship.

People like to suggest it will be 64 total teams but I think it will be the lower amount. Those two conferences will still schedule out of conference games against Group of 5 teams because of the paydays they can offer. Maybe some of the leftover Power 5 teams will join in on the non conference games.

These super conferences will have salary for all players on the active roster and they will be professional athletes who go to school.

Those two super conferences will then negotiate even better TV deals than before because of their prestige. Everyone left out of this environment will essentially be playing for a lesser championship of some measure.

The Bowl industry will not entirely collapse but there will be a dramatic shakeup of how they are utilized.

A team like ASU probably finds itself on the outside looking in and thus the quality of recruit will drop a little.

You're painting a grim picture here.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think we are already there, but it has yet to be fully realized. IMO, NIL money will decide divisions.

It's time for the NFL to have their own G-League.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we are already there, but it has yet to be fully realized. IMO, NIL money will decide divisions.
I don’t think it will fully be based on NIL but there will be a delineation point that is based on it. Teams like Vanderbilt and Northwestern will still be kept in there respective conferences while they may not be paying players at quite the rate of their Tier 1 brethren.

OP
OP
SeattleCardinal

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You're painting a grim picture here.
Things do seem a little grim, particularly from an NIL perspective. Chris Karpman has said that ASU needs at least $3 million in annual NIL money to be competitive from a player personnel perspective for football. He has also said that ASU has nowhere near that, currently. Relegation - one way or another - might be the future. I wonder how many of the BXII schools will be spending at at elite levels the next couple of seasons - guessing a clear minority of them.