2023 1st round pick is #6 Paris Johnson

OP
OP
bankybruce

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Possibly would have ended up with Wright if we didn't trade back up.
That would have happened if Kiem was still here. Wright did not have a 1st round grade, but he would have said he was their #1 choice, so grades don't matter

OP
OP
bankybruce

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It just depends if Johnson actually winds up at LT. I don't think he's a LT I think there's a reason he didn't play there until his junior year.

I think Wright can play RT, I don't think Johnson is a Tackle I think he's a guard.

I guess we'll see, again hope I'm wrong
If Johnson is an all pro LG and Jones takes over for Humphries at somepoint this season due to injury, the left side it set for years. Get the best center tomorrow and then Hernandez is the worst peice on the line.

Cards Crazy

Veteran
Reaction score
It just depends if Johnson actually winds up at LT. I don't think he's a LT I think there's a reason he didn't play there until his junior year.

I think Wright can play RT, I don't think Johnson is a Tackle I think he's a guard.

I guess we'll see, again hope I'm wrong
Ime not saying anything bad either you build the lines 1st and Paris was the number 1 ranked tackle so we will see what happens the rest of the way it is refreshing to see them move up and down the board instead of standing pat for a change

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would have happened if Kiem was still here. Wright did not have a 1st round grade, but he would have said he was their #1 choice, so grades don't matter

He was projected mid first round between 15 and 20 on most of the mocks.

From what's being said his issue was consistency, not a great technical guy, which you can teach.

I think Paris is a guard and if he stays there he'll be good but then you ask should you trade up to 6 to get a guard? But if he winds up as a good LT I'll eat my words. Just never saw it from him in college. If the goal is to protect Kyler you take a guy known for pass blocking not a guy known for run blocking but we'll see. He's huge.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I'm not sure what to think right now. Johnson is probably going to be a fine player for the team however the defense has such huge holes in it I have to wonder how bad the defense will be. Outside of 3 decent LBs and a safety (if Baker is still here) there isn't much else.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
interesting the CBS report on him says he relies too much on athleticism and needs to be better technically. I've always felt one of his issues is he's not athletic enough to be a LT. So I hope CBS is right, if he's more athletic than I think, it improves his chances to play LT.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
interesting the CBS report on him says he relies too much on athleticism and needs to be better technically. I've always felt one of his issues is he's not athletic enough to be a LT. So I hope CBS is right, if he's more athletic than I think, it improves his chances to play LT.
I think you're wrong on his athleticism. I think he oozes athleticism for a longer guy.

I'm excited that the Cardinals are finally using serious draft capital on OL

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score

From what's being said his issue was consistency, not a great technical guy, which you can teach.

I think Paris is a guard and if he stays there he'll be good but then you ask should you trade up to 6 to get a guard? But if he winds up as a good LT I'll eat my words. Just never saw it from him in college. If the goal is to protect Kyler you take a guy known for pass blocking not a guy known for run blocking but we'll see. He's huge.
He was not going to be there at 12.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was not going to be there at 12.

I was talking about Darnell Wright, not Paris Johnson when I said projected 15 to 20. Someone had said he didn't have a first round grade I was saying he was projected mid first round himself.

I hope to be wrong about Paris I like the deal, and I like the idea of building the OL, I just wasn't that high on him, but then I didn't love any of the tackles in this draft.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Johnson is a good player but I still would’ve preferred to stay at #12 & took Calijah Kancey and kept our other 2nd :cool:

We could’ve done some damage at #33 & #34 adding O’Cyrus and another player like Schmits, Cam Smith, Avila, Benton or even Branch.

Now we can only add one instead of 2 quality players at needed positions. Is Paris Johnson worth that price? Hmmm Only time will tell

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He’s a day one starter who can play guard or tackle on either side. He’s a foundational player that will be in AZ for many years. The Cards were never sold on Anderson. It will be interesting to see how he fares in Texas. I told you guys early on this is a conservative front office. Taking Johnson was the safest top 10 pick. He’s a solid if not flashy pick.
100%. I liked Skoronski a little more but this was my #2 guy.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You now have two shots at the #1 pick out of the top 7 teams that project to be in that conversation

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Weird Russ, everything you say about him seems to be the opposite of what I read about him.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Pretty sure Hump has only this year left on his contract
He’s signed through 2025. But we could cut him after this year and it would be a $13.8 M cap hit (not great, but not terrible). I think it’s very likely this is DJs last year here after taking Paris. DJ has about $16M cash due and $22.9M cap hits annually in ‘24 and ‘25.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I really liked his interview. Seems to be legitimately stoked to be a cardinal. Seems to be a guy that’s going to work hard. He sold me.

Would still like to know how he compares to other recent highly drafted olinemen.
That’s because he’s going to the Arizona Buckeyes lol

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Hard to be upset with adding a top offensive lineman. Not my favorite but he has tools. You like the feet. 6'6 with 36 inch arms is tough to get around and can help with the learning curve. HE will need to refine his technique and get stronger. Smart dude which is important for OL. We will see.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard