2022-23 Around the NBA Thread

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Luka wont be able to walk by the time he's 30.

So maybe all foot injuries aint that bad.
Luka doesn’t even have to run to play, and then still is a top 10 player anyway. I think he will be fine.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I too find the canonization of Kobe rather nauseating.

More than once, he quit on his team in the playoffs, his stats in elimination games are flat out terrible, he trashed his teammates in the press, he broke up good teams because of his ego, in the later part of his career the Lakers couldn't get anyone of note to play there because of his reputation, he had a stretch in his career where he was elbowing people in the head so often that the NBA had to change the rules.

And that all ignores the whole "Colorado" situation.

In the twilight of his career he behaved better and he was by all accounts a devoted father... but the guy was a douche for most of his NBA career.

And yes, he's severely overrated in the media, partly because of his death, partly because the media was desperate to anoint the next Jordan early in Kobe's career. He was very good but does not belong in the conversation of the greatest.
Kobe was unlikeable at times. He’s no dirk (off the court). I always compared Kobe to dirk not because of the difference in rings, but because of what they meant for their respective fans. Kobe was no dirk off the court. But aside from that the Colorado incident, I don’t think Kobe have was terrible off the court. As far as breaking up teams, that was on shaq too. Shaq blatantly refused to work on his game to the level that Kobe did, but shaq still wanted to be the king. Kobe demanded excellence from his front office after shaq left and they hit a downward spiral, and look where it got them, back to the top. For me other than MJ, Kobe is the next best player since Jordan left. Lebron fits there too, but he is a front runner and that cannot be denied. I would of respected lebron more if he stayed in Cleveland and brought the rings there.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kobe was unlikeable at times. He’s no dirk (off the court). I always compared Kobe to dirk not because of the difference in rings, but because of what they meant for their respective fans. Kobe was no dirk off the court. But aside from that the Colorado incident, I don’t think Kobe have was terrible off the court. As far as breaking up teams, that was on shaq too. Shaq blatantly refused to work on his game to the level that Kobe did, but shaq still wanted to be the king. Kobe demanded excellence from his front office after shaq left and they hit a downward spiral, and look where it got them, back to the top. For me other than MJ, Kobe is the next best player since Jordan left. Lebron fits there too, but he is a front runner and that cannot be denied. I would of respected lebron more if he stayed in Cleveland and brought the rings there.

LeBron made up for leaving Cleveland by returning and winning a championship there. Had he stayed there instead of bailing again and going to LA I believe he'd be viewed much more favorably. He's a great player, that isn't up for debate, but his ego and need for control is unmatched.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a video of the injury to Gallinari.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gary Harris of the Magic has a torn miniscus.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Thunder have applied for a Disabled Player Exception for Chet Holmgren.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
LeBron made up for leaving Cleveland by returning and winning a championship there. Had he stayed there instead of bailing again and going to LA I believe he'd be viewed much more favorably. He's a great player, that isn't up for debate, but his ego and need for control is unmatched.
Yeah very true about going back and winning one there. Especially what he had to go up against vs GS.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Chet Holmgren Assures Fans He’ll Be Back And Perfectly Healthy For 9 Games Next Year.​

OKLAHOMA CITY—After suffering a foot injury that will cost him the entire 2022-23 season, Oklahoma City Thunder rookie Chet Holmgren reportedly assured fans Friday that he’ll be back and perfectly healthy for nine games next year. “Missing my rookie year in this league isn’t what I wanted, but I want everyone to know that I’ll be back bigger and stronger for a week and half of games early in the 2023-24 season before getting hurt again,” said Holmgren, adding that he would spend the next year focusing on getting better so he can help his team for a few games next November before getting injured and focusing on getting better again. “I’m going to do everything in my power to get healthy and make it back to the court, where I’ll most likely get hurt again, unless I get hurt in the locker room before I can make it back to the court. Injuries happen, but at this point I’ve already got my mind trained on being healthy for the 25 or so games I’ll be able to play in the 2024-25 season while dealing with multiple nagging foot and back ailments before the team shuts me down for the season, at which point I’ll look forward to giving my all for whatever team the Thunder trades me to after the front office gives up on me.” Holmgren also assured fans that he plans on being one of the NBA’s biggest-ever “what-if” stories by the time he retires after nine injury-plagued seasons on four teams.

Source - The Onion

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Indications are that Danilo Gallanari suffered a meniscus tear in his left knee, which is better than initially feared.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Raptors waive Svi Mykhailiuk.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Knicks extend RJ Barrett. It complicates a trade for Donovan Mitchell of the Jazz.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Knicks extend RJ Barrett. It complicates a trade for Donovan Mitchell of the Jazz.

30 million a year for a shooter who can't shoot. But at least he makes up for it by not defending or passing.

I wish we'd extended Cam Johnson already, because this is a grotesque overpay for a guy from his draft class.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
30 million a year for a shooter who can't shoot. But at least he makes up for it by not defending or passing.

I wish we'd extended Cam Johnson already, because this is a grotesque overpay for a guy from his draft class.

I was hoping to sign Cam Johnson for less than the extension given to Mikal Bridges. With teams overpaying, it's getting harder and harder.

I'm hoping this does not end up in restricted free agency.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was hoping to sign Cam Johnson for less than the extension given to Mikal Bridges. With teams overpaying, it's getting harder and harder.

I'm hoping this does not end up in restricted free agency.

He’s a 3 point shooter someone is going to pay him. I don’t think it was ever realistic to have him back

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He’s a 3 point shooter someone is going to pay him. I don’t think it was ever realistic to have him back

I'm still hopeful to bring Cam Johnson back. His extension would not affect this season anyway.

I do not like the idea of restricted free agency.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No wonder the Knicks wanted to extend Barrett. A Knicks first round pick hadn't received an extension in almost 30 years.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No wonder the Knicks wanted to extend Barrett. A Knicks first round pick hadn't received an extension in almost 30 years.

I feel like they could have done it for much much less. He was a genuinely bad player last year.

They've managed to build a real expensive mess:

Brunson- $104m/4 years
Randle- $114m/4 years
RJ- $120m/4 years
Fournier- $56m/3 years
Robinson- $60m/4 years

I'd say Mitchell Robinson is the only guy in that group who isn't a gigantic overpay.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like they could have done it for much much less. He was a genuinely bad player last year.

They've managed to build a real expensive mess:

Brunson- $104m/4 years
Randle- $114m/4 years
RJ- $120m/4 years
Fournier- $56m/3 years
Robinson- $60m/4 years

I'd say Mitchell Robinson is the only guy in that group who isn't a gigantic overpay.

Probably. I was using some sarcasm.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I was going to comment on that but I thought Mitchell Robinson broke that streak. He was a 2nd round pick though. He's over achieved as 2nd rounder, which threw me off.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Luka doesn’t even have to run to play, and then still is a top 10 player anyway. I think he will be fine.
Keep telling yourself that, I give it 5 years before hes working at a ladies footlocker.
He already hurt his ankle lol season hasnt even started yet.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Knicks track record reflects that too. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave