2022-23 Around the NBA Thread

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jury awards Vanessa Bryant $16 million over crash scene photos.

Sometimes money doesn't have much meaning compared to the loss.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good for her. She deserves it. However, the admiration for Kobe still makes me sick. People love to pretend nothing ever happened because he was a great player.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Seriously doubt Vanessa needed the money from that suit but I imagine that was more about sending a message to those involved. It seems it was a joint lawsuit with family of some of the other victims and that family received $15 million. It's messed up that rescue workers would take those photos and spread them. It also seems the county is picking up the tab for their carelessness. Hopefully they realize what they did was incredibly messed up..

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The picture of Kobe with his daughter melts my heart. It's very special.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Good for her. She deserves it. However, the admiration for Kobe still makes me sick. People love to pretend nothing ever happened because he was a great player.
Because he cheated on his wife? Everyone makes mistakes. They moved on and he turned out to be what seemed like a good father.

The thing that’s silly to me is Kobe suddenly being ranked higher than he should be on all these lists because he’s dead. Same thing would’ve happened to Kurt Cobain had social media been around back then.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because he cheated on his wife? Everyone makes mistakes. They moved on and he turned out to be what seemed like a good father.

The thing that’s silly to me is Kobe suddenly being ranked higher than he should be on all these lists because he’s dead. Same thing would’ve happened to Kurt Cobain had social media been around back then.
No because he raped someone…errrr….he “thought“ it was consensual but apologized.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
No because he raped someone…errrr….he “thought“ it was consensual but apologized.
The optics were bad but there was no conviction or trial. That doesn’t 100% prove innocence but from what I gathered he was closer to a psycho competitor than a pure monster.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I too find the canonization of Kobe rather nauseating.

More than once, he quit on his team in the playoffs, his stats in elimination games are flat out terrible, he trashed his teammates in the press, he broke up good teams because of his ego, in the later part of his career the Lakers couldn't get anyone of note to play there because of his reputation, he had a stretch in his career where he was elbowing people in the head so often that the NBA had to change the rules.

And that all ignores the whole "Colorado" situation.

In the twilight of his career he behaved better and he was by all accounts a devoted father... but the guy was a douche for most of his NBA career.

And yes, he's severely overrated in the media, partly because of his death, partly because the media was desperate to anoint the next Jordan early in Kobe's career. He was very good but does not belong in the conversation of the greatest.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chet Holmgren will miss the entire season due to injury to the right foot.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chet Holmgren will miss the entire season due to injury to the right foot.

Poor kid. With tons of people already doubting his durability he gets severely injured in an exhibition.

They've got to figure out a way to get some meat on him, but he isn't just skinny, the dude is narrow, I bet his pants have a 24 inch waist.

But some guys with medical red flags do turn it around...

Remember the horror of drafting Alex Len and seeing him stroll up to the stage in a walking boot? It the long run the only thing that has kept Len off the court is that he sucks.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Poor kid. With tons of people already doubting his durability he gets severely injured in an exhibition.

They've got to figure out a way to get some meat on him, but he isn't just skinny, the dude is narrow, I bet his pants have a 24 inch waist.

But some guys with medical red flags do turn it around...

Remember the horror of drafting Alex Len and seeing him stroll up to the stage in a walking boot? It the long run the only thing that has kept Len off the court is that he sucks.

It's really unfortunate. I hope it's something that doesn't jeopardize or limit his career.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is when the injury apparently happened to Holmgren, when he was defending Lebron.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
History has shown that tall players are vulnerable to foot/leg injuries to begin with. Extra tall (and extra slender) even more so.

I called this on Holmgren back when the hype train started when he was still in high school. His frame is going to make it near impossible that he is ever strong enough... nor likely healthy enough on a consistent basis... to have much continued impact on the pro level.

He might have the occasional highlight (or even game) that makes everyone exclaim "what if." But I will be genuinely surprised if he isn't fighting injuries and/or makes much of an impact in real terms throughout whatever his NBA career amounts to.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jury awards Vanessa Bryant $16 million over crash scene photos.

Sometimes money doesn't have much meaning compared to the loss.

That award is just sickening. Happens to a normal person, it’s just news. Happens to someone famous it’s a multimillion dollar lawsuit. What they did was wrong but who really pays for this? And what good does anyone benefit from this.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Michael Jordan broke his foot in the third game of his second season and missed 64 games.
He turned out to be pretty decent. ;)
Clean break from what I remember. Every injury is different but similar ones led to Bill Walton's early retirement, Oden had an ACL injury but also a foot injury that never healed correctly, Yao Ming's career shortened, and I know there were a couple other draft picks that suffered foot injuries and they didn't pan out but I can't recall them off the top of my head.

Foot injuries just suck. Just hoping this one for this kid isn't one of those lingering ones.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Clean break from what I remember. Every injury is different but similar ones led to Bill Walton's early retirement, Oden had an ACL injury but also a foot injury that never healed correctly, Yao Ming's career shortened, and I know there were a couple other draft picks that suffered foot injuries and they didn't pan out but I can't recall them off the top of my head.

Foot injuries just suck. Just hoping this one for this kid isn't one of those lingering ones.
Luka wont be able to walk by the time he's 30.

So maybe all foot injuries aint that bad.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I too find the canonization of Kobe rather nauseating.

More than once, he quit on his team in the playoffs, his stats in elimination games are flat out terrible, he trashed his teammates in the press, he broke up good teams because of his ego, in the later part of his career the Lakers couldn't get anyone of note to play there because of his reputation, he had a stretch in his career where he was elbowing people in the head so often that the NBA had to change the rules.

And that all ignores the whole "Colorado" situation.

In the twilight of his career he behaved better and he was by all accounts a devoted father... but the guy was a douche for most of his NBA career.

And yes, he's severely overrated in the media, partly because of his death, partly because the media was desperate to anoint the next Jordan early in Kobe's career. He was very good but does not belong in the conversation of the greatest.

5 rings

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is ridiculous. I hated the guy when he played but there is zero argument against his greatness.

People hating on him now just seems like sour grapes.
Yeah… I thought he was a piece of garbage off the court (and for stuff he did on the court), but he was a psycho bball player.

Not top 10 of all time, but could be argued anywhere in the next 10.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Reggie Miller, Manute Bol, and Kevin Durant were probably the three skinniest guys I ever remember as rookies in the NBA. They all had pretty good careers.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might be a blessing in disguise they can put him in the weight room all year

Injuries are never good, but hopefully OKC can build up his body for the rigors of NBA play.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave