2021 NBA Free Agency and Trades

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The more I think about it, the more I dislike Eric Paschall being traded to the Jazz. He reminds me a bit of a young Paul Millsap.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saben Lee returning to Pistons.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hmm. Alderidge? Doesn't he have a history with Monty? Baynes would be nice too. Why not both?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm. Alderidge? Doesn't he have a history with Monty? Baynes would be nice too. Why not both?

I'd prefer Kaminsky over Baynes. He is much younger and if Baynes is not hitting the three he is not that effective. I think stats and age support Kaminsky as the better choice.

I'm not a huge fan of bringing in Aldridge just because he decides he wants to play again. He had his opportunity to play for the Suns.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd prefer Kaminsky over Baynes. He is much younger and if Baynes is not hitting the three he is not that effective. I think stats and age support Kaminsky as the better choice.

I'm not a huge fan of bringing in Aldridge just because he decides he wants to play again. He had his opportunity to play for the Suns.
I like Baynes just because he is miles tougher than Kaminski. People cannot go through him going to the hoop. Baynes seems to do a little better with his sideways motion. He blocks the path to the hoop better than Kaminsky. Age really doesn't matter to me because they are both year-at-a-time players anyway.

Also, if you really need some hard fouls to give in the playoffs, Baynes is your man, not Kaminsky.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ewwwww.

Have you watched KAT? He is a putrid defender, there is a reason the T'Wolves stink and players who want to compete have forced their way out.

I think putting him on a team with cp3, Book, are Monty helps a lot. I think Ayton is the better defensive player, but if you are asking me who helps us win a title in the next 2-3 years it's Kat all day. Ayton does not have the mental strength to be a top line offensive player. He is too timid, doesn't draw fouls, and for about 3/4 of his career has seemed very nonchalant about basketball or winning.

I'm still very hesitant to give him a max deal and count on Aytin to become our 2nd superstar.

Like I said, I think now is a chance to sell high on Ayton and buy low on a 25 year old Kat.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think putting him on a team with cp3, Book, are Monty helps a lot. I think Ayton is the better defensive player, but if you are asking me who helps us win a title in the next 2-3 years it's Kat all day. Ayton does not have the mental strength to be a top line offensive player. He is too timid, doesn't draw fouls, and for about 3/4 of his career has seemed very nonchalant about basketball or winning.

I'm still very hesitant to give him a max deal and count on Aytin to become our 2nd superstar.

Like I said, I think now is a chance to sell high on Ayton and buy low on a 25 year old Kat.

Forgetting all the reasons it might be a horrible deal on the court, there's just no way to make it happen without gutting this team. It would take something like Saric, Ayton, Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jalen Smith and maybe draft picks (to offset the injured Saric).

And Kat has been surrounded by talent before and his team still underachieves, always. Pretty numbers, ugly results. He's certainly a much better offensive weapon and I firmly believe offense is more important than defense but the gap between Kat and DA on defense is extreme to say the least.

When you consider their ages and reported work ethic, I am absolutely against trading Ayton for Kat, even if it could be done straight up. But if we were to do it, it would be in the second year of Ayton's new deal when the dollars make a straight up deal more possible.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think James Jones must have some irons in the fire otherwise he would have already gotten to 14 players.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Suns just went to the Finals with Ayton as a key piece. I will take the better defensive player in Ayton. AzStevenCal has covered the rest.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no NBA roster minimum during the offseason so we shouldn't hold our breath although I think the Suns will add some players soon.

Teams are obligated to carry 14 players during the regular season except they are allowed to drop to 13 players for a two week period.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The veteran minimum for Paul Millsap would be $2,564,753 not that the Suns might get him for that.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There goes one of the point guards I liked... Raul Neto. He returns to the Wizards.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think James Jones must have some irons in the fire otherwise he would have already gotten to 14 players.

Did you ever consider for a moment, he's just not that competent, and other GM's signed players before he could - because to me that is by far the most likely answer.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you ever consider for a moment, he's just not that competent, and other GM's signed players before he could - because to me that is by far the most likely answer.

I have an open mind until James Jones proves otherwise.

There are the Chris Paul and Cam Payne contracts plus the appearance in the Finals in his column.

Of course there are more pros and cons.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity… What players/contracts were signed by other teams that you think the Suns should of signed?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I think it is more likely that Sarver has instructed Jones not to sign anyone else for more than the minimum, thereby repeating his behavior from the Nash era, and James Jones is hoping enough actual NBA players slip through the cracks to sign with that oppressive condition. Or Jones in response has already offered the minimum to Moore, Galloway and/or Kaminsky, and they are waiting and hoping to get paid more.

Last edited:

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What's the hold up in free agency right now? Seems like things really slowed down with lots of roster spots around the league to fill.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the hold up in free agency right now? Seems like things really slowed down with lots of roster spots around the league to fill.

My guess is a lot of agents are trying to get more than the minimum for their clients.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Pretty common around this time every year. The players are holding out for better offers, the teams are waiting for the players to get a bit more desperate.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
The money well is running dry on some of these players that want bigger deals. It’ll stall a bit before they realize they’ll have to take a smaller one year deal and try free agency next year.