2021 NBA Free Agency and Trades

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm amazed so many of you still haven't just used the ignore button. I generally don't like to do it, but I felt it was a no-brainer. I'm not a huge Tucker fan, but I wouldn't mind seeing even more young talent. Any good young 4/5, point guards, or 3 & D swingman out there?

Of course I still haven't given up hope of signing Dieng.

Dieng signed with the Hawks.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course. It never ends. They are a free agent magnet.

I don't think they've improved though. I've seen some comparisons to the 2012 or 2013 Lakers that added Nash and Dwight. They're a collection of mismatched parts that could implode at any point.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think they've improved though. I've seen some comparisons to the 2012 or 2013 Lakers that added Nash and Dwight. They're a collection of mismatched parts that could implode at any point.
It's really tough to say how they'll all come together but I think adding Howard is a good move for them. Ultimately though whether they've improved will be determined by which Westbrook they traded for. Did they get the up and down Westbrook or the really good one or the really bad one? We've seen all three versions over the past 3 or 4 years.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meh marc was never fleet of foot to begin with. Now he’s a statue. We showed he can’t see court time against us.

He can hit that shot up top. I think the Lakers would have been wise to use him more in the playoffs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They do seem like a collection of mismatched parts but if all three of their key pieces are healthy they will be hard to stop at least individually.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's really tough to say how they'll all come together but I think adding Howard is a good move for them. Ultimately though whether they've improved will be determined by which Westbrook they traded for. Did they get the up and down Westbrook or the really good one or the really bad one? We've seen all three versions over the past 3 or 4 years.

The Howard signing is the only move I really liked. I think they got Ellington back also, which is decent but he won't see time on that roster.

I will be shocked if their big 3 is still together by years end, provided they're relatively healthy most of the season. If one or more miss a lot time, that might be a blessing for them.

I just can't see them working together. I can some games where they look unbeatable but far more where they're awful. Russ is a horrible shooter and isn't effective off the ball. LeBron won't concede to him either. Davis will see a lot of easy baskets but he can't carry a team on his own, as the Pelicans learned.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It feels like the Suns are waiting for the best leftovers unless they magically have a trade up their sleeve.

They only have 10 players by my count.

I guess Saric makes 11.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sam Dekker to sign with Toronto.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It feels like the Suns are waiting for the best leftovers unless they magically have a trade up their sleeve.

I guess Saric makes 11.

We signed Crowder late last year also. I didn't expect any big first day signings outside of our own. James Jones is smart and won't overpay someone either. He got a great deal on Cam Payne going forward and the Paul deal is solid as well. In the next few days we'll see money dry up and we still have a few bucks to outbid our competition for guys looking to latch on somewhere.

We should hear something about Dario's disable player exception now also. Today is the first day it can be issued to us.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

I guess Saric makes 11.

That's what I am thinking too, and honestly, I think it's the right approach. You have your top 9 guys in the rotation right now, so it's just about the finishing touches at this point. My guess is that once the money dries up, Jones will fill out the roster.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We signed Crowder late last year also. I didn't expect any big first day signings outside of our own. James Jones is smart and won't overpay someone either. He got a great deal on Cam Payne going forward and the Paul deal is solid as well. In the next few days we'll see money dry up and we still have a few bucks to outbid our competition for guys looking to latch on somewhere.

We should hear something about Dario's disable player exception now also. Today is the first day it can be issued to us.
That's what I am thinking too, and honestly, I think it's the right approach. You have your top 9 guys in the rotation right now, so it's just about the finishing touches at this point. My guess is that once the money dries up, Jones will fill out the roster.

I'm hoping James Jones has a plan in place other than what falls through the cracks. I have no problem with this philosophy as long he signs a solid 4/5 before it's over. The pickings are getting slim. Hopefully he pulls a rabbit out of the hat like Jae Crowder.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rudy Gay goes to the Jazz.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I'm hoping James Jones has a plan in place other than what falls through the cracks. I have no problem with this philosophy as long he signs a solid 4/5 before it's over. The pickings are getting slim. Hopefully he pulls a rabbit out of the hat like Jae Crowder.

I think it's tricky- you have a bunch of guys who want to get paid and who wants playing time. Suns have very little money to offer and even less playing time, so I am guessing you have to wait for the market to dry up a bit. But I am with you- they need a big PF. After that, it's all third string guys.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Without being able to offer a guaranteed roster rotation spot or regular minutes, we're not going to attract any real difference makers. If we bring back Frank, Nader, and add a 3rd PG, ill consider this offseason a success.

Its also possible Tyshon Alexander gets a full roster spot. We'll have to see how he does in summer league. I'm not sure how two-way players will be treated next season but I wouldn't be surprised to learn there will be more restrictions on how many games they're allowed to be called up for again since that was essentially waivrd last year because of Covid.

Edit - I meant a guaranteed rotation spot, not roster spot in that first sentence.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JaVale McGee is a solid addition but he is more or less a replacement for Saric. Bringing the same team back, less Craig, is not going to get the Suns back to the Finals. I understand they added Landry Shamet in the back court but the Suns need more size.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JaVale McGee is a solid addition but he is more or less a replacement for Saric. Bringing the same team back, less Craig, is not going to get the Suns back to the Finals. I understand they added Landry Shamet in the back court but the Suns need more size.

James Jones isn't done. I wouldn't expect anything that makes a big splash though. Give it time. We still have a minimum of 3 more signings to make to hit the 14 player minimum.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Realistically the odds are against us (or any specific team) making it to the finals this year and I don't see a player out there (before the deals) that would have changed that reality. That doesn't mean this group can't get there. And sure, there are players that could make us a little better and improve our odds some but IMO we stand a chance for greater improvement due to player growth than any reasonable acquisition beyond our current deals.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nemanja Bjelica to Warriors

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Realistically the odds are against us (or any specific team) making it to the finals this year and I don't see a player out there (before the deals) that would have changed that reality. That doesn't mean this group can't get there. And sure, there are players that could make us a little better and improve our odds some but IMO we stand a chance for greater improvement due to player growth than any reasonable acquisition beyond our current deals.

When the window is open the goal has to be a championship. That's why they are paying Chris Paul huge dollars. I believe a team has to improve each season to even stay even. IMO, as of now, they have not done enough to improve.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We need you Robin Lopez. Come home.

Phoenix is a nice place Enes Kanter.

We will appreciate you Andre Drummond.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

It wouldn't surprise me if the Suns didn't apply for the disabled player exemption for Dario.