2021 NBA Free Agency and Trades

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Kanter is the worst defensive player in the league. I like Lopez because he's developed a very effective hook shot in the paint. It would be nice to get a few buckets that way when the shots aren't falling.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We need you Robin Lopez. Come home.

Phoenix is a nice place Enes Kanter.

We will appreciate you Andre Drummond.
Lopez doesn't have much left but he'd be an okay target for our 3rd center.

I wouldn't touch either Kanter or Drummond for a couple of reasons but mostly because they are two of the most me-first players in the league. Do we really want Drummond elbowing a teammate in the head for grabbing a rebound? And then boasting that he'll do it again to any teammate that comes into his area and grabs a rebound?

Anyway, Kanter and Drummond chemistry issues and lack of defense notwithstanding, IMO we're more likely to see a hundred straight days of heavy rain in Phoenix than we are to see one of those two in a Suns uniform. At least not until the end of their careers. They both believe they are high value starters, playing behind a 22 year old rising center is not the kind of job they'd take a pay cut for.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kanter is the worst defensive player in the league. I like Lopez because he's developed a very effective hook shot in the paint. It would be nice to get a few buckets that way when the shots aren't falling.

A team is not going to get the whole package for a few million.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I wouldn't touch either Kanter or Drummond for a couple of reasons but mostly because they are two of the most me-first players in the league. Do we really want Drummond elbowing a teammate in the head for grabbing a rebound? And then boasting that he'll do it again to any teammate that comes into his area and grabs a rebound?

Anyway, Kanter and Drummond chemistry issues and lack of defense notwithstanding, IMO we're more likely to see a hundred straight days of heavy rain in Phoenix than we are to see one of those two in a Suns uniform. At least not until the end of their careers. They both believe they are high value starters, playing behind a 22 year old rising center is not the kind of job they'd take a pay cut for.

The reason we are talking about centers is because the Suns have not adequately addressed power forward depth. Adding another center is just another way to compensate. Also a team has to account for possible injuries. See Saric.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Drummond is off the table, 1year with 76ers.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lopez is alright for a 3rd. Has length and size, not overly athletic but can still provide some depth at the 5 spot.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking James Jones has to have his eye on someone.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reason we are talking about centers is because the Suns have not adequately addressed power forward depth. Adding another center is just another way to compensate. Also a team has to account for possible injuries. See Saric.
If we can't get someone we really like I'd rather keep the spot open and save the money so we can get a better big when the veterans are released midseason. But I'd rather do without than add someone like Kanter or Drummond.

We had someone backing up Saric in case of injury, his name was Frank. He just wasn't quite good enough to cover us (especially since injuries negated our huge guard advantage) but it's a challenge to add a big man during the offseason that has real value and is willing to just sit on the bench in hopes a player or two in front of him gets injured. We have a much better chance of getting that kind of player in February or March IMO.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
When we start filling out the roster I wouldn’t mind taking a flyer on Justise Winslow on a cheep deal. If he can stay healthy I think he could potentially give us similar things that Torrey Craig gave us.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we can't get someone we really like I'd rather keep the spot open and save the money so we can get a better big when the veterans are released midseason. But I'd rather do without than add someone like Kanter or Drummond.

We had someone backing up Saric in case of injury, his name was Frank. He just wasn't quite good enough to cover us (especially since injuries negated our huge guard advantage) but it's a challenge to add a big man during the offseason that has real value and is willing to just sit on the bench in hopes a player or two in front of him gets injured. We have a much better chance of getting that kind of player in February or March IMO.

A lot of people were saying the same thing about Portis.

This is the Suns opportunity to get a player better than Frank although I wouldn't mind him filling out the roster if the Suns had another power forward.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
A lot of people were saying the same thing about Portis.

This is the Suns opportunity to get a player better than Frank although I wouldn't mind him filling out the roster if the Suns had another power forward.
The roster isn't set in stone on September 1st.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When we start filling out the roster I wouldn’t mind taking a flyer on Justise Winslow on a cheep deal. If he can stay healthy I think he could potentially give us similar things that Torrey Craig gave us.

Suns could use a small ball center with Craig and Saric gone.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think if we add someone they'll be someone young and a lot of people will be disappointed since they'll be unaccomplished. Sort of like Rashaun Holmes when we brought him in. Those are the sort of guys that are available as 3rd string/end of the bench signings.

The biggest "name" we might add is Frank or Big Sauce. If a player is recognizable by name to 90% of the board, they won't be available or likely to sign for what we can offer in terms of money or minutes.

Leaving the roster spot open is fine with me. I'd rather have options than be stuck with junk.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suns could use a small ball center with Craig and Saric gone.

That would be nice but I think that small ball Center will be Stix. We need to find him some minutes. He needs to earn those minutes of course but to stack the roster in front of him won't help him develop. This is an important year for him and the Suns as far as figuring out if we want to keep him for years 3 & 4 of his rookie deal.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would be nice but I think that small ball Center will be Stix. We need to find him some minutes. He needs to earn those minutes of course but to stack the roster in front of him won't help him develop. This is an important year for him and the Suns as far as figuring out if we want to keep him for years 3 & 4 of his rookie deal.

I like Stix but he has yet to show he is an NBA player. Relying on him in year two is risky. Maybe after summer league we will have a better idea.

JerkFace

Reaction score
I like Stix but he has yet to show he is an NBA player. Relying on him in year two is risky. Maybe after summer league we will have a better idea.
I agree that he can’t be relied on yet, but I still think it will be important to his development that we find at least 5-7 minutes per game for him this year.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A team needs three centers or at least a 4/5 that can rotate.
In this offense I think they would be OK with a 4 who can give you minutes at 5 but I am not against signing another center. All I am saying is that the pool of players is shrinking and you need to fill the backup position most in need. That's PF right now.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, I thought it would be good to see where the Suns roster is at the moment.

PG: Chris Paul, Cam Payne
SG: Devin Booker, Landry Shamet
SF: Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson
PF: Jae Crowder, , Jalen Smith, Dario Saric (out)
C: Deandre Ayton, JaVale McGee

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree that he can’t be relied on yet, but I still think it will be important to his development that we find at least 5-7 minutes per game for him this year.

Providing Stix earns those minutes I agree.

JerkFace

Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Providing Stix earns those minutes I agree.

He's got to get the opportunity to earn that time. Bumping him to 4th in a positional depth chart isn't giving him a chance.

Monty and James Jones know a lot more about where Stix is than we do. If they're counting on him to be a 3rd string Center, like it appears they are at this point, I trust that's a good decision.

We'll still be able to spend money later or use the DPE to trade for someone if needed. I'm with Steve as far as keeping our options open. It worked to get Craig last season.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In this offense I think they would be OK with a 4 who can give you minutes at 5 but I am not against signing another center. All I am saying is that the pool of players is shrinking and you need to fill the backup position most in need. That's PF right now.

Then we are in agreement. I'm trying to compensate for the lack of another power forward by adding a center who seem to be more available. The Suns need more size on their bench.