2021 NBA Free Agency and Trades

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Mikal could learn to attack the basket like Majerle used to that would be a big improvement. He's not as quick of a shooter from outside but he's accurate so I wouldn't worry about changing his game much from behind the 3pt line, its inside that needs work. He's one of the only guys on our team that doesn't pump fake much, if at all. If he added a fake then it would open things up a little more for him.

Dan Majerle was good at attacking the basket early in his career but became a three point shooter later on. Hopefully Mikal Bridges will reverse that direction but still be able to hit the three with consistency. If he can do that he will become a complete player.

I agree, the Suns need to give a course in pump fakes.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I've seen posters compare Marion to Bridges but they don't remind me of each other. Yes, they are both versatile, good defensively and team players.

Marion was athletically off the charts, a tremendous leaper and an excellent rebounder. He mostly played power for the Suns but had an awkward push shot. I'm not sure how to describe it but it was not pretty although it was effective.

Bridges is athletic in his own right but not as explosive as Marion. He has nice form on his shot, likely the better career shooter and has good lateral quickness as well.

I'm thinking there must be better comparisons.

Here is a stat comparison of both players after their third year.

They have similar advanced stats. They both have strong positive impacts on winning. They obviously have very different strengths and styles of play.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They have similar advanced stats. They both have strong positive impacts on winning. They obviously have very different strengths and styles of play.

It's still not going to change Marion's rebounding numbers and ability to play power forward. I just think there are better comparisons.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I've seen posters compare Marion to Bridges but they don't remind me of each other. Yes, they are both versatile, good defensively and team players.

Marion was athletically off the charts, a tremendous leaper and an excellent rebounder. He mostly played power for the Suns but had an awkward push shot. I'm not sure how to describe it but it was not pretty although it was effective.

Bridges is athletic in his own right but not as explosive as Marion. He has nice form on his shot, likely the better career shooter and has good lateral quickness as well.

I saw Shawn at the Biltmore the other day and he looks rough. His legs were a mess when walking and he’s kinda overweight. I never thought I could picture him with fat on him so I had to make sure it was him. He looked happy and said hey though.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw Shawn at the Biltmore the other day and he looks rough. His legs were a mess when walking and he’s kinda overweight. I never thought I could picture him with fat on him so I had to make sure it was him. He looked happy and said hey though.

Awesome. It's nice to know he is still in the Phoenix area.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bridges best comp is Klay Thompson. His shooting stats a notch better than Klay's at the same age, Bridges needs to be more willing to shoot are more active off the ball. Defensively he's certainly capable of reaching Thompson's heights.

He isn't at the hieght of Klay's ability yet, but the only thing that would keep Bridges from Klay's level is his confidence in his shot. If you compare their stats at the same age it is really hard to argue Klay was the better talent. At 24, the only thing Klay beats him in is volume shooting, Bridges overall stats and his shooting percentages are far better.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

athletes say the jumping isn’t the problem it’s the landing. All those years of coming down on those knees must take a toll.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Zach Collins contract with the Spurs looks like low risk, high reward. If he gets healthy that is a good contract.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

Sorry if I wasn't clear - I'm not saying they're the same player, I'm saying their contributions might not be as obvious as others (especially bc he shines defensively). Just as Marion was the glue guy that covered up a lot of warts, Bridges can fill that same role.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Don't know id this is a joke, but my FB Suns group talking about Bender being back with Suns. I don't see it anywhere else....

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Don't know id this is a joke, but my FB Suns group talking about Bender being back with Suns. I don't see it anywhere else....
Ha! Bender had his moments. Wonder if he has improved any in the last year. Might as well talk about Marquis Chriss too.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bender had talent but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a player look more scared on the court

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think Bender would qualify for a Two-Way contract but I wouldn't be against him coming back if he were signed to one. That's about as far as the team should go to give him another look.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bender had talent but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a player look more scared on the court
He was so young when we wasted a pick on a kid who couldn't even get off the bench BEFORE he came to the NBA. Even after playing in Phoenix for 3 years and then splitting a season between Milwaukee and Golden State followed by a year out of the league he won't turn 24 until after this next season starts (if it starts and if it starts on time).

He has some physical gifts that we could use but I don't know if he has the will and the drive to survive and succeed in the league. But Monty does seem like the kind of coach he'd be best paired with.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh my lord... we already started talking about Elfrid’s hair and now people are starting to fluff Bender again? Did I screw something up with my settings on the board and am now on a thread from 2017-18?!

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do wish the Suns would fill their second two-way contract. Just who I'm not sure but preferably a big man.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I actually would not mind that. I still think he has some potential.

Honestly, I see more value in a player like him than Frank, because his upside is much higher, and if either is playing it means something went wrong.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh my lord... we already started talking about Elfrid’s hair and now people are starting to fluff Bender again? Did I screw something up with my settings on the board and am now on a thread from 2017-18?!

Did you see any of Bender's last G-league stint? He was far better than Jalen Smith.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

We must be trying to corner the market on unassertive big men.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Would the league allow for some sort of boxing or mma match for the 15th roster spot? I'd love to see that. If Bender could win that would also answer the question of whether he's gained any sort of assertiveness over the years.

I got the perfect opponent, Marquise Chriss. Winner gets a contract and the loser gets McD's goats. I'd drop some cash for that PPV, especially if they let Tom Leander do the commentary. I'm not a fan of him calling BB games but his lame catchphrases would work for that fight.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was scrolling passed NBAtv tonight and I saw ol Michael Sleazley in a summer league game with the Blazers, felt like a trip through the past. Made complete by him posting a -35 in 47 seconds of playing time.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was scrolling passed NBAtv tonight and I saw ol Michael Sleazley in a summer league game with the Blazers, felt like a trip through the past. Made complete by him posting a -35 in 47 seconds of playing time.
Do we have a roster spot available?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave