2021 Cardinals Starters - Lots of holes

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The Keim thread got me looking into our roster as we move through Murray's rookie deal. One thing that got my attention is how little young talent we have on our roster that has actually shown anything. Hopefully Keim's drafts start to generate more than one player outside of the top 10 picks who is anything more than mediocre.

QB - Kyler Murray
RB -
WR - Deandre Hopkins
WR - Christian Kirk
WR -
TE - Maxx Williams
LT - DJ Humphries
LG - Justin Pugh
C -
RG -
RT -

DE - Jordan Phillips
NT -
DE -
OLB - Chandler Jones
ILB - Jordan Hicks
ILB - Isaiah Simmons
OLB - Devon Kennard
CB - Byron Murphy
CB - Robert Alford
S -
S - Jalen Thompson

You can even argue that having Simmons, Murphy and Thompson on that list is a stretch. Along with that Phillips, Kennard and Alford have not taken a snap with the Cardinals yet.

I guess my point in this is that we really have to hope that Keim has nailed these free agent signings (Phillips, Kennard and Alford) and these draft picks (so many) or we are going to have a very subpar roster around Murray and will have in essence wasted three prime rookie contract years. And for those who will state that we will re-sign our upcoming free agents...look at the list.

Kenyan Drake - Are you really paying a RB big money?
Larry Fitzgerald - Are you paying Fitz another 10 mil?
JR Sweezy - 31 years old. Might be that he doesn't cost a ton.
Corey Peters - 32 years old.
Patrick Peterson - Do you think we pay him what he is going to want?
Budda Baker - Are you paying him 14 mil per season?

Stuff to consider.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Indeed. Murray has brought a lot of excitement and enthusiasm, but there is a reason we were drafting #1. Keim has been awful in both free agency and the draft - he's only saved himself with a couple trades.

Paying Baker 14M per season would be an even bigger mistake than paying Peterson. Do these stats look like a 14M man?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BakeBu00.htm

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
A free safety who gets zero interceptions in 16 games is no free safety. Baker is a strong safety playing free safety.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
A free safety who gets zero interceptions in 16 games is no free safety. Baker is a strong safety playing free safety.

Budda is a weird case. Last season he was among the league leaders in defeats (Jordan Hick was second, BTW) and tied for first in most TFLs at any position. But he played 100% of the defensive snaps and didn't record an interception.

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
Budda is a weird case. Last season he was among the league leaders in defeats (Jordan Hick was second, BTW) and tied for first in most TFLs at any position. But he played 100% of the defensive snaps and didn't record an interception.

Biggest concern coming out of college was ball skills and that seems to be playing out in the NFL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Here is the positive side of this...there are some guys who I believe can be league average even though they are unproven.

Mason Cole - C/RG
Josh Jones - RT/RG (I am not certain he won't move to RG)

Both of those guys have the college experience, size and athleticism to be able to be league average IMO. Especially because Jones will have this year to build up.

That leaves holes at RB, WR, RG/RT, NT, DE, CB, and S. I am good with holes at RB and WR as those are pretty easily filled. Same with NT in some ways. The secondary is the scariest IMO.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Keim thread got me looking into our roster as we move through Murray's rookie deal. One thing that got my attention is how little young talent we have on our roster that has actually shown anything. Hopefully Keim's drafts start to generate more than one player outside of the top 10 picks who is anything more than mediocre.

QB - Kyler Murray
RB -
WR - Deandre Hopkins
WR - Christian Kirk
WR -
TE - Maxx Williams
LT - DJ Humphries
LG - Justin Pugh
C -
RG -
RT -

DE - Jordan Phillips
NT -
DE -
OLB - Chandler Jones
ILB - Jordan Hicks
ILB - Isaiah Simmons
OLB - Devon Kennard
CB - Byron Murphy
CB - Robert Alford
S -
S - Jalen Thompson

You can even argue that having Simmons, Murphy and Thompson on that list is a stretch. Along with that Phillips, Kennard and Alford have not taken a snap with the Cardinals yet.

I guess my point in this is that we really have to hope that Keim has nailed these free agent signings (Phillips, Kennard and Alford) and these draft picks (so many) or we are going to have a very subpar roster around Murray and will have in essence wasted three prime rookie contract years. And for those who will state that we will re-sign our upcoming free agents...look at the list.

Kenyan Drake - Are you really paying a RB big money?
Larry Fitzgerald - Are you paying Fitz another 10 mil?
JR Sweezy - 31 years old. Might be that he doesn't cost a ton.
Corey Peters - 32 years old.
Patrick Peterson - Do you think we pay him what he is going to want?
Budda Baker - Are you paying him 14 mil per season?

Stuff to consider.

First off you left a few holes unfilled that I am pretty sure are filled.

RT - Josh Jones
C - Mason Cole
WR - Andy Isabella.
RB - I actually feel like Chase Edmonds can be our lead back if necessary and would do ok. But next season there is going to be a glut of quality free agent backs and a strong RB draft class. Not worried about filling this position at all.

At DE and DT there are several young players - Fotu, Lawrence, Allen, Dogbe, Miles. Are any of them likely to become starter quality - unknown - but they might.

We will resign Budda or Peterson or both. Do I think that resigning either is a good idea - well I would probably resign Peterson to a short deal if he performs well. Budda as many have stated is not worth huge money even though he is a good player, simply because he does not create turnovers and is mainly a tackler. I would resign him but 10 mil per would be the max I would go.

To answer your question - no there is no chance I am paying Larry 10 million again.

So to me RG, and a DT to replace peters are the only holes we will definitely have to fill.

We really could use some young CB's as well obviously.

Is the roster in great shape - Nope. But I don't think it's in terrible shape either.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here is the positive side of this...there are some guys who I believe can be league average even though they are unproven.

Mason Cole - C/RG
Josh Jones - RT/RG (I am not certain he won't move to RG)

Both of those guys have the college experience, size and athleticism to be able to be league average IMO. Especially because Jones will have this year to build up.

That leaves holes at RB, WR, RG/RT, NT, DE, CB, and S. I am good with holes at RB and WR as those are pretty easily filled. Same with NT in some ways. The secondary is the scariest IMO.

Yes I agree. Our corner situation is scary and that is what worries the most.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
First off you left a few holes unfilled that I am pretty sure are filled.

RT - Josh Jones
C - Mason Cole
WR - Andy Isabella.
RB - I actually feel like Chase Edmonds can be our lead back if necessary and would do ok. But next season there is going to be a glut of quality free agent backs and a strong RB draft class. Not worried about filling this position at all.

At DE and DT there are several young players - Fotu, Lawrence, Allen, Dogbe, Miles. Are any of them likely to become starter quality - unknown - but they might.

We will resign Budda or Peterson or both. Do I think that resigning either is a good idea - well I would probably resign Peterson to a short deal if he performs well. Budda as many have stated is not worth huge money even though he is a good player, simply because he does not create turnovers and is mainly a tackler. I would resign him but 10 mil per would be the max I would go.

To answer your question - no there is no chance I am paying Larry 10 million again.

So to me RG, and a DT to replace peters are the only holes we will definitely have to fill.

We really could use some young CB's as well obviously.

Is the roster in great shape - Nope. But I don't think it's in terrible shape either.
I disagree regarding Isabella and Edmonds and the defensive line players. Very little has been shown to this point though the sheer numbers would make you think someone becomes league average.

The secondary gives me nightmares. I can see a world where Baker and Peterson price themselves out of Arizona. There are very valid arguments that letting them go would be a smart move, but the holes left on the roster could end up being worse than signing them to overpriced contracts. Also, I am pretty confident that Alford is not going to be good which means he would likely be a cap cut, and would leave us with Byron Murphy. Not great when you consider our pass rush is generated by 30 year old Chandler Jones.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
For those who balk at the idea of giving Peterson an extension...consider he is arguably the 3rd/4th best FA cornerback on the market next offseason.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
For the third consecutive season no less.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson