2021 6th round pick B is Tay Gowan CB

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
For a 6th rounder I have no problem with the pick. I think he is limited but could be a better CB than Wilson. Wilson is a much better athlete but has questionable coverage skills IMO.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For a 6th rounder I have no problem with the pick. I think he is limited but could be a better CB than Wilson. Wilson is a much better athlete but has questionable coverage skills IMO.

yeah, this guy looks better than Wilson. Wilsons highlight reel is sorry.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If he can contribute anything in the years after Butler and Alford are gone it will be a successful pick. This season he will just need to practice and learn.

OP
OP
BullheadCardFan

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Round 6, No. 223 overall: Tay Gowan, CB, UCF

My take: Gowan may have found the perfect situation, even if he thinks he went lower than he should have. He's 6-1, 186 pounds and played almost exclusively outside in college in a press-man scheme. He still has to work to do on his game but learning from veterans such as Malcolm Butler and Robert Alford, and not having to play immediately, at least for the time being, can help him develop into a potential starter in Year 2 or beyond.

https://www.espn.com/blog/arizona-c...draft-picks-2021-analysis-for-every-selection

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I don't like this stat for him. I haven't watched him a bunch but it suggests he's a great cover corner and I didn't see that.

One of his weaknesses is finding the ball and making plays. A bunch of times the WR gets the ball and Gowan makes a play to tackle the ball lose. Which is a good attribute but in the NFL you don't want the ball making it to the WR.

I haven't read his draft profiles but it wouldn't surprise me to see them say he suits zone better.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I appreciate the Cards picking FL guys. I didn’t get out much in 2020. No player was likely hurt worse by COVID. He needed the reps and came up empty since he sat out. If your not familiar with Butler CC, they are a major feeder program. It’s, however, not a good sign Gowan lasted only 3 games at Miami. Butler is well known for getting these guys through academically. He played well at Butler and was considered a good get for UCF. He’s a decent but not special athlete. He needs considerable work to be useful in the NFL. I’m thinking practice squad is his ceiling.

He’s a little stiff and often loses a step after a receiver cut. He is good at getting a hand out to deflect passes. When in position, which is erratic, he can be a bit of a ballhawk. He’s especially adept at moving to the ball when coming downhill. He’ll challenge receivers without hesitation.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
You gotta be excited about getting the second best cornerback in the rest draft... from Central Florida University.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Why not? Might find something late at CB. After not getting a starting CB, might as well snag a few to see of something sticks.

How can it be worse than nothing? A single snap would be an improvement.
How? The team can believe they found their guy and . . . BRANDON WILLIAMS. That’s how it can be worse. Literally “NOTHING” would have been better a single snap.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
How? The team can believe they found their guy and . . . BRANDON WILLIAMS. That’s how it can be worse. Literally “NOTHING” would have been better a single snap.

Meh. Someone said he couldn't be worse than Alford. Alford contributed nothing. Say what you want, Brandon Williams was at least a body someone had to run around :)

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
I like the value.

His EDP was 140 with a high of 116. So in the 200s its great value.

His best traight for me is effort. Really strong effort guy. There's a clip of him chasing down an INT about 50 yards from the opposite side of the field.

He's a project but great value for late 6th.

Can you share that clip?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Meh. Someone said he couldn't be worse than Alford. Alford contributed nothing. Say what you want, Brandon Williams was at least a body someone had to run around :)
I don’t think the pats players even had to run around him enroute to the endzone. Just by him. Starting him as our cb in that first game of the season was the greatest case of front office malpractice in the history of football imo.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Why not? Might find something late at CB. After not getting a starting CB, might as well snag a few to see of something sticks.

How can it be worse than nothing? A single snap would be an improvement.

And when the first snap comes... cheer!

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He has some size and aggressiveness to him. Will see.