2021 4th round pick is Marco Wilson CB

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
In fairness to Marco, he is not a #1 CB, but is having to play the position out of necessity. Sort of like in the Land of the Blind, the One Eye Rule. Next offseason we have to upgrade the CB room. Draft and/or FA. JMO.

WakeForestCard

Veteran
Reaction score
In fairness to Marco, he is not a #1 CB, but is having to play the position out of necessity. Sort of like in the Land of the Blind, the One Eye Rule. Next offseason we have to upgrade the CB room. Draft and/or FA. JMO.
True, but it's not like he was even going up against a real #1 WR.

Edit: And we have Ceedee, Deebo and Ja'Marr Chase coming down the pipeline :)

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Marco has all the speed, size and agility to be a CB1.

He just hasn't made the step up.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We have a very good CB from Syracuse who will be on the field inside of a month.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
While I hope so, I don't think that we can expect much considering that he had 'no' offseason. Maybe by Thanksgiving.
That may very well be the case. I just think a bunch of people have forgotten about Williams. Had he not blown out his knee last year in October, he could have been a 1st round pick, but definitely a 2nd rounder. Being a Syracuse fan, I watched this kid throughout his time in the Dome. He's a ballhawk with exceptional man to man skills. And he has the mental makeup similar to Clark's. At best, I think Wilson is a CB2, but this kid Williams definitely has the skill set to be a CB1. With our plethora of picks next year, I do think we'll draft a CB. But, I think we'll go DL, OL, and even RB before we go CB. Developing CB's is what JG does, and I think he believes strongly that he doesn't need an early round CB.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He wasn't good, but he also didn't have the help he was supposed to have on at least that long reception to Hyatt.

I don't agree. I think the broadcast crew gave him an out he didn't deserve.

Chachere is never deep on that play or providing cover for Wilson. Chachere is on Waller. Wilson is on an island against Hyatt. And let's be honest, if you can't leave your CB1 on an island against a rookie with no catches yet who can you?

Chachere has Waller if he runs the seam or deep over and Wallace has him if he runs the dig or slant. No way Chachere can bail out Wilson, if he does then Waller would no doubt run the seam for a massive gain anyway.

Wilson just plays it really badly. He's slow in his backpedal, late to flip and stumbles when he realises he's getting burned.

And for the thumbs down people that think Wilson didn't cost us the game single handed. Nearly all the yardage he gave up he gave up in the 2nd half. If he plays just poorly and gives up a 100 or 110 passer rating and 100 yards then at least one of the Giants drives stalls and we win the game. He was an open door the 2nd half.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Chachere is never deep on that play or providing cover for Wilson. Chachere is on Waller. Wilson is on an island against Hyatt. And let's be honest, if you can't leave your CB1 on an island against a rookie with no catches yet who can you?

Chachere has Waller if he runs the seam or deep over and Wallace has him if he runs the dig or slant. No way Chachere can bail out Wilson, if he does then Waller would no doubt run the seam for a massive gain anyway.

Wilson just plays it really badly. He's slow in his backpedal, late to flip and stumbles when he realises he's getting burned.

And for the thumbs down people that think Wilson didn't cost us the game single handed. Nearly all the yardage he gave up he gave up in the 2nd half. If he plays just poorly and gives up a 100 or 110 passer rating and 100 yards then at least one of the Giants drives stalls and we win the game. He was an open door the 2nd half.

He wasn't the only one who cost us the game. Somebody could have gotten a sack and a strip. The entire defensive line also lost the game

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

You aren't going to leave a CB on an island against a guy with Hyatts speed. It's just asking for trouble and is the reason teams want deep threats like Hyatt.
Then why did you see the "Oh poo" moment from Chachere running down field to help Wilson? That doesn't happen if that's not his responsibility.
Or his assignment wasn't a deep pass like that and he expected the safety give him help and the practice squads guy screwed it up?

Wilson wasn't good, for sure.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I expect a bounce back game for Wilson tomorrow. JG is a teacher, especially with CB’s. I bet Wilson worked on technique all week. Once he’s 100% back from injury, I expect to see Williams out there. If Wilson doesn’t improve, we could see two rookies starting at CB by season’s end.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There are 21 other players that could have made a play or several plays.

Sure there is, and they did.

But no single player did less and when a single player has such an individually poor performance it effects everyone else. Like when a LT or QB has a terrible game.

I can't say with any other player "If X plays better we win". I feel confident saying that with Wilson.

And I say this as someone who's defended him.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You aren't going to leave a CB on an island against a guy with Hyatts speed. It's just asking for trouble and is the reason teams want deep threats like Hyatt.

Then why did you see the "Oh poo" moment from Chachere running down field to help Wilson? That doesn't happen if that's not his responsibility.

Or his assignment wasn't a deep pass like that and he expected the safety give him help and the practice squads guy screwed it up?

Wilson wasn't good, for sure.

Chachere's zone is on the other side of the field. He doesn't have a "Oh shoot" moment, he just sees Jones loading up for the deep shot and bails.

How can Chachere be responsible for the deep shot? Hyatt could have run a sluggo or straight post instead of an over and Chachere is nowhere near.

They trusted Wilson not to get burnt deep and he did.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I expect a bounce back game for Wilson tomorrow. JG is a teacher, especially with CB’s. I bet Wilson worked on technique all week. Once he’s 100% back from injury, I expect to see Williams out there. If Wilson doesn’t improve, we could see two rookies starting at CB by season’s end.
He still showing the same issues of his rookie year, giving too much cushion, slow to react, struggle locating the football , understanding wr's route(studying opponent receivers)
Gannon cant do much

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Chachere is disguising who he is helping on and is slow to read that Wilson will need help. Chachere gets sucked into looking at the drag route when there were multiple defenders in that area to help in coverage.

Wilson is playing way off of Hyatt, but Hyatt is ridiculously fast. Wilson isn't expect a post or fly here, but he expects that Chachere will help and he gets there way late. It's pretty much exactly what the color guy said during the broadcast.

This is why scrub guys who misread what offenses are doing can really screw up a game.

It's not reasonable to expect most corners to be able to handle a 4.3 40 guy one one one without over the top help.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chachere is disguising who he is helping on and is slow to read that Wilson will need help. Chachere gets sucked into looking at the drag route when there were multiple defenders in that area to help in coverage.

Wilson is playing way off of Hyatt, but Hyatt is ridiculously fast. Wilson isn't expect a post or fly here, but he expects that Chachere will help and he gets there way late. It's pretty much exactly what the color guy said during the broadcast.

This is why scrub guys who misread what offenses are doing can really screw up a game.

It's not reasonable to expect most corners to be able to handle a 4.3 40 guy one one one without over the top help.

Chachere is the other side of the hashes. He's way too far away to offer help with Hyatt. You can see Chachere locked on Waller and follow his route before realising Marco is getting cooked.

Wilson runs 4.35. Hyatt runs 4.40. If he's losing him with a 10 yard cushion he played it wrong.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson