2021-22 Around the NBA Thread

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I noticed the Warriors played the Spurs at home so they didn't have to travel on their back-to-back game.

The Suns and Warriors have identical 19-4 records.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I noticed the Warriors played the Spurs at home so they didn't have to travel on their back-to-back game.

The Suns and Warriors have identical 19-4 records.

Really crazy game I assume letdown after the 2 Suns matchups. Steph started 1-15, finished 7-28. He hit a 3 to put them up 3, then ticky tack foul call puts SA at the line, Kerr can't decide if he should challenge or not doesn't challenge. Make first brick 2nd, Lee somehow falls down going for rebound it caroms out to White who hits a 3 to put SA up 1. Warriors turn it over.

White just veers right into JTA on a drive they call it a block, Kerr challenges. Everyone who sees it says White caused all the contact but the ref says because JTA was moving he didn't have position so the call is upheld. White splits the FT's SA up 2. Curry goes fast misses a 3, Murray scores SA up 4. Basically that was game.

I thought they should have challenged the first foul, they called it a shooting foul on JTA against Keldon Johnson the replay was pretty blatant the only contact was a bump well before Johnson went into his shooting motion he did a modified Euro Step and then shot the whistle happens on the shot. On replay there's a bump then he goes into his shooting motion and the whistle blows on the release of teh shot. So if the warriors challenge the call of a shooting foul they probably get a reversal I don't think the ref can say it's not a shooting foul but there was a foul before the shot. I think they would have overturned the call Warriors ball up 3 but didn't challenge game over.

Spurs got 4 points in the first 10 minutes of the 4th and 9 in the last 2 to win it.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And now the Warriors fall to the Spurs on the 2nd of a B2B.
Just proves the back to back can be a killer! They caught us tired and without our superstar big deal. I’m almost glad the streak is over relieves some pressure and just let them play good ball again without streak talk! I believe fully healthy this Suns team is the best team in basketball and built for the playoffs with our depth.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really crazy game I assume letdown after the 2 Suns matchups. Steph started 1-15, finished 7-28. He hit a 3 to put them up 3, then ticky tack foul call puts SA at the line, Kerr can't decide if he should challenge or not doesn't challenge. Make first brick 2nd, Lee somehow falls down going for rebound it caroms out to White who hits a 3 to put SA up 1. Warriors turn it over.

White just veers right into JTA on a drive they call it a block, Kerr challenges. Everyone who sees it says White caused all the contact but the ref says because JTA was moving he didn't have position so the call is upheld. White splits the FT's SA up 2. Curry goes fast misses a 3, Murray scores SA up 4. Basically that was game.

I thought they should have challenged the first foul, they called it a shooting foul on JTA against Keldon Johnson the replay was pretty blatant the only contact was a bump well before Johnson went into his shooting motion he did a modified Euro Step and then shot the whistle happens on the shot. On replay there's a bump then he goes into his shooting motion and the whistle blows on the release of teh shot. So if the warriors challenge the call of a shooting foul they probably get a reversal I don't think the ref can say it's not a shooting foul but there was a foul before the shot. I think they would have overturned the call Warriors ball up 3 but didn't challenge game over.

Spurs got 4 points in the first 10 minutes of the 4th and 9 in the last 2 to win it.

Any team can beat another team on a given night. The Suns better be ready to play the Spurs or they await the same fate. Spurs have won four games in a row over good or respectable teams.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Good lord you complain about the refs a lot.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good lord you complain about the refs a lot.

I didn't complain about the ref I said Kerr challenged the wrong call. He challenged the one he likely wouldn't win over the one he might have won

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah but many of us do, fortunately we have game day threads to get it out of our system.

FWIW the 2 minute review said both calls were correct so whichever one he challenged he wasn't going to win. But if he was going to challenge one of them he should have challenged the first one it was the most likely of the 2 to be overturned

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW the 2 minute review said both calls were correct so whichever one he challenged he wasn't going to win. But if he was going to challenge one of them he should have challenged the first one it was the most likely of the 2 to be overturned
I believe you, I've seen enough refereeing to know how often they get it wrong. My point was that most of us here get to get it out of our system in a game day thread, as it's a Suns site you're left with a catchall thread to voice your frustrations.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe you, I've seen enough refereeing to know how often they get it wrong. My point was that most of us here get to get it out of our system in a game day thread, as it's a Suns site you're left with a catchall thread to voice your frustrations.

I was actually fine with the explanation on both calls. I just think it was odd Kerr didn't challenge the first call the bench was telling him to do so. As it turns out he wouldn't have won that challenge either.

They lost that game in the first half with atrocious shooting

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

To be fair you can't really judge Billups as a coach because Lillard as has been speculated is playing hurt.

He's been sub par because of it.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know how this makes the Warriors number 1 in the power rankings when the Suns and Warriors split and then Golden State loses to the Spurs on Saturday on a back-to-back.

Don't they have to count the loss to Spurs?

From ESPN:

1. Golden State Warriors
2021-22 record: 19-4
Previous ranking: 1

Stephen Curry and the Warriors caught a glimpse of the first team all season that appears to be playing on their level: Phoenix. The Suns have the same kind of deep and talented roster that has made these two teams the early favorites in the Western Conference. After dropping Tuesday's game to Chris Paul & Co., the Warriors responded by snapping the Suns' 18-game winning streak on Friday. They ran out of gas in a surprising loss to the Spurs on Saturday -- capping a 19-for-69 week from the field for Curry. -- Friedell

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Playing
I don't know how this makes the Warriors number 1 in the power rankings when the Suns and Warriors split and then Golden State loses to the Spurs on Saturday on a back-to-back.

From ESPN:

1. Golden State Warriors

Stephen Curry and the Warriors caught a glimpse of the first team all season that appears to be playing on their level: Phoenix. The Suns have the same kind of deep and talented roster that has made these two teams the early favorites in the Western Conference. After dropping Tuesday's game to Chris Paul & Co., the Warriors responded by snapping the Suns' 18-game winning streak on Friday. They ran out of gas in a surprising loss to the Spurs on Saturday -- capping a 19-for-69 week from the field for Curry. -- Friedell

They get credit for having Klay out I think.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Playing

I'm not going to try to figure it out.

The media didn't give the Suns much credit last season either because teams were missing players.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Playing

From the article summary it appears they mostly got credit for running out of gas.

I could care less about their power ranking and I'm not at all sure it's wrong - but it's interesting that they ignored Booker's absence and the fact that we played on the 2nd night of a back to back when we lost to them and then excused the Warriors loss to the Spurs because they were playing a back to back.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
From the article summary it appears they mostly got credit for running out of gas.

I could care less about their power ranking and I'm not at all sure it's wrong - but it's interesting that they ignored Booker's absence and the fact that we played on the 2nd night of a back to back when we lost to them and then excused the Warriors loss to the Spurs because they were playing a back to back.
Agreed.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Firing Stotts was the wrong move without a rebuild. Bringing back the same team, for the most part, with a first time head coach was a recipe for disaster. They didn't need to scrap everyone but a big trade involving McCollum and or Nurkic was needed to retool around Lillard. I'm not sure who they could have got but I think Dallas would have dealt Porzingis for McCollum. Maybe it doesn't work, maybe it does, but it's a step in a new direction that could have helped them.

A lineup of Lillard, Norman Powell, Robert Covington, and Nurkic would be big and long.

Dallas would have a legit #2 next to Luka with McCollum and KP has been up and down there so they would not lose much. I think both teams benefit, although Dallas probably would have needed to include a pick with how bad KP was playing last postseason.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Firing Stotts was the wrong move without a rebuild. Bringing back the same team, for the most part, with a first time head coach was a recipe for disaster. They didn't need to scrap everyone but a big trade involving McCollum and or Nurkic was needed to retool around Lillard. I'm not sure who they could have got but I think Dallas would have dealt Porzingis for McCollum. Maybe it doesn't work, maybe it does, but it's a step in a new direction that could have helped them.

A lineup of Lillard, Norman Powell, Robert Covington, and Nurkic would be big and long.

Dallas would have a legit #2 next to Luka with McCollum and KP has been up and down there so they would not lose much. I think both teams benefit, although Dallas probably would have needed to include a pick with how bad KP was playing last postseason.

There is a report Damian Lillard wants the Trail Blazers to acquire Ben Simmons.

I think firing Stotts under the current circumstances was a mistake as well.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

From ESPN:

1. Golden State Warriors

I think they are counting that loss.

As much as I hate to say it, I agree Golden State should be ranked number 1 right now.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

As much as I hate to say it, I agree Golden State should be ranked number 1 right now.

Did they consider the Suns played the Warriors on the second night of back-to-back games away?

If the Suns beat the Spurs tonight it's conclusive they were wrong. :cool:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't have a problem with them ranking the Warriors first. I just think it's odd that they didn't mention that our loss to them came on the second night of a back to back (not to mention, no Devin) but then explained away the Golden State loss to the Spurs by saying they ran out of gas. And it also ignores the fact that San Antonio has been playing good ball for a couple weeks now.

We have the same record as Golden State against a similar schedule, nothing has been established AFAIC. Maybe they're better, maybe we are but I don't understand why their excuses matter and ours don't. IOW, I wouldn't have responded if they'd just said "we think the Warriors are better".

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose