2021-22 Around the NBA Thread

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@AzStevenCal

It's the full recovery comments after back surgery that often make me skeptical. I'm not sure if anyone is the same coming off more than one back surgery, especially lower back. Actually I'm not sure what that means. My personal observation is back problems don't go away. Maybe they get better.
They don’t. At least to the idea that the back is ever really “back to normal” ever again. Especially with, what... four back surgeries already at that age?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@AzStevenCal

It's the full recovery comments after back surgery that often make me skeptical. I'm not sure if anyone is the same coming off more than one back surgery, especially lower back. Actually I'm not sure what that means. My personal observation is back problems don't go away. Maybe they get better.
My buddy who is the super active outdoor type has had 3 back surgeries this year. He got some very very short-term relief but it's still messed up and they want him to go back for a 4th. He is almost ready to just hang up some of the outdoor activities and accept he will likely always be in pain. He was promised relief with the first three and it simply hasn't happened. He just has no faith in the 4th. Back surgery is a crap shoot without being a professional athlete.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My buddy who is the super active outdoor type has had 3 back surgeries this year. He got some very very short-term relief but it's still messed up and they want him to go back for a 4th. He is almost ready to just hang up some of the outdoor activities and accept he will likely always be in pain. He was promised relief with the first three and it simply hasn't happened. He just has no faith in the 4th. Back surgery is a crap shoot without being a professional athlete.

An anesthesiologist once told me he sees just as many people after surgery as he does before surgery.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I have a friend in the same situation. He just decided to “live” with it. Never ending pain even with pain meds. It’s sad and frustrating.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a friend in the same situation. He just decided to “live” with it. Never ending pain even with pain meds. It’s sad and frustrating.
My wife had her back fused in 97 and has lived with intermittent (frequent) pain and discomfort ever since. But she was in constant agony before the surgery so she'd do it again in a heartbeat if necessary.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

At a certain point in time this is what it comes down too for a lot of people after they have exhausted other options.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Found this via NBA Reddit, but a slightly more nuanced take on Strength of Schedule which factors in home vs away and days of rest:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Found this via NBA Reddit, but a slightly more nuanced take on Strength of Schedule which factors in home vs away and days of rest:

Pretty funny that the Lakers have looked like such trash against such a garbage schedule.

As for our low scoring SOS at the moment and for the rest of the season as well... I suspect it is because we can't face ourselves.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Austin Rivers enters health and safety protocols. Nuggets beat Miami in first game of road trip.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Adrian Wojnarowski

@wojespn
· 2m
ESPN Sources: The NBA will make Chicago and Miami forfeit their next available second-round draft pick over findings in probe into early contact in summer free agency. Probe was centered on Lonzo Ball and Kyle Lowry sign and trades.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adrian Wojnarowski

@wojespn
· 2m
ESPN Sources: The NBA will make Chicago and Miami forfeit their next available second-round draft pick over findings in probe into early contact in summer free agency. Probe was centered on Lonzo Ball and Kyle Lowry sign and trades.

All that and not much of a penalty.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All that and not much of a penalty.
At least the message went out plain and clear. If you cheat in order to add a quality player to your roster and then cooperate with the league's investigation, you're going to lose one of those almost irreplaceable 2nd round picks.

IOW, chop down someone else's apple tree, admit it, pay a one cent fine, profit from all the fallen apples, then move on to the next apple tree.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At least the message went out plain and clear. If you cheat in order to add a quality player to your roster and then cooperate with the league's investigation, you're going to lose one of those almost irreplaceable 2nd round picks.

IOW, chop down someone else's apple tree, admit it, pay a one cent fine, profit from all the fallen apples, then move on to the next apple tree.
Looks like the old adage works here. "Better to ask forgiveness than permission." Just say sorry and it's pretty much ok.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who gets those second round pics that aren’t able to be drafted? Are there just less players drafted?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's a cheap cost for doing business and does not discourage tampering.

These type tranactions are worth more than 2nd round pickks. So business as usual.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bam Adebayo expected to miss 4-6 weeks with thumb surgery.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave