2020 new consoles

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great. Now we can play some 4k60 Rocket League together!

I signed up for the wait list on EVGA for that 3080 video card. They give you only 8 hours to confirm and they only notify you via email. Here's hoping...

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great. Now we can play some 4k60 Rocket League together!

I signed up for the wait list on EVGA for that 3080 video card. They give you only 8 hours to confirm and they only notify you via email. Here's hoping...

It'll be interesting to see the differences. I expect on some games it will be huge and some not. Either way, if Cyberpunk has showed us anything, it will be mandatory to have a new console to play new AAA games in the near future.

Now I need to decide on a new tv or tv device that can handle series x specs and fit my needs.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see the differences. I expect on some games it will be huge and some not. Either way, if Cyberpunk has showed us anything, it will be mandatory to have a new console to play new AAA games in the near future.

Now I need to decide on a new tv or tv device that can handle series x specs and fit my needs.

I have only gotten past the tutorial on Cyberpunk. No time recently.

I'd wait until next year if you can. New TVs come out in January most years so people have them for the Superbowl. Not sure if it will be the same this year though.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have only gotten past the tutorial on Cyberpunk. No time recently.

I'd wait until next year if you can. New TVs come out in January most years so people have them for the Superbowl. Not sure if it will be the same this year though.

from what I have noticed while reading and researching is that around the super bowl is when you see the best prices but like black friday, once those prices hit they usually stay. By the time I get the xbox in January, we should be starting to see that stuff happen. I'll want to find something but also have to decide if I am keeping the room the way it is, changing it up as that would play a big part in size. Where I have it now 60" is good but if I decided to mount it above my fireplace I would probably go bigger.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
from what I have noticed while reading and researching is that around the super bowl is when you see the best prices but like black friday, once those prices hit they usually stay. By the time I get the xbox in January, we should be starting to see that stuff happen. I'll want to find something but also have to decide if I am keeping the room the way it is, changing it up as that would play a big part in size. Where I have it now 60" is good but if I decided to mount it above my fireplace I would probably go bigger.
What is your budget? A lot of TVs are only 40Gbps HDMI 2.1, some of them only have 1 HDMI port that supports that new 2.1 and 40Gbps speed. The newer LG TVs all of their HDMI ports have 48Gbps. So for me, if I were getting a new TV this year, I would only choose LG. I'm hoping to get an 8k TV that has at least 2 8k60 - HDMI 2.1 48Gbps.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is your budget? A lot of TVs are only 40Gbps HDMI 2.1, some of them only have 1 HDMI port that supports that new 2.1 and 40Gbps speed. The newer LG TVs all of their HDMI ports have 48Gbps. So for me, if I were getting a new TV this year, I would only choose LG. I'm hoping to get an 8k TV that has at least 2 8k60 - HDMI 2.1 48Gbps.

What is the 48gbps about? Speed of data?

I haven't dived into the research of a tv yet.

I don't really have a budget going in but I usually try to meet specs and then seek value. I'll only need a single hdmi 2.1 so even if that's the case I'm one, it won't be a deal breaker.

Does 8k even matter yet?

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
What is the 48gbps about? Speed of data?

I haven't dived into the research of a tv yet.

I don't really have a budget going in but I usually try to meet specs and then seek value. I'll only need a single hdmi 2.1 so even if that's the case I'm one, it won't be a deal breaker.

Does 8k even matter yet?

The 48 gbps is the max speed of data transfer over HDMI 2.1. It's not super important yet but buying now would be good for the future. Only problem is that HDMI 2.1 is a bit fubar right now. Denon had to pull back updates on their AVRs due to the chips they sourced didn't work correctly with the chips used in the xbox and PS5. They weren't alone with that either. The last 2 months have been a bit of a cluster since it was discovered. They're working on getting that straightened out but it'll require new hardware. So if you find that important I'd check what the TV is using for an HDMI chipset and possibly wait for next years models.

8k doesn't really matter yet and really won't unless you're going to a huge TV. They're still super expensive too.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 48 gbps is the max speed of data transfer over HDMI 2.1. It's not super important yet but buying now would be good for the future. Only problem is that HDMI 2.1 is a bit fubar right now. Denon had to pull back updates on their AVRs due to the chips they sourced didn't work correctly with the chips used in the xbox and PS5. They weren't alone with that either. The last 2 months have been a bit of a cluster since it was discovered. They're working on getting that straightened out but it'll require new hardware. So if you find that important I'd check what the TV is using for an HDMI chipset and possibly wait for next years models.

8k doesn't really matter yet and really won't unless you're going to a huge TV. They're still super expensive too.

I almost bought a Denon day one when they came out in July. So glad I didn't. One of the perks of taking longer to get your basement finished...new tech has a chance to adopt.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I almost bought a Denon day one when they came out in July. So glad I didn't. One of the perks of taking longer to get your basement finished...new tech has a chance to adopt.

Yeah, that was a plus. I think I might skip HDMI 2.1 right now. Isn't really buying me anything since I'm not replaying my TV yet. I can upgrade my AVR to it in the spring (current eta, denon moved it back from fall due to the issue) but until I can take advantage of it with the rest of my signal chain I can't see spending the money on it. Plus I have to ship it to someplace in NY so I'd be without my receiver for a couple weeks.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that was a plus. I think I might skip HDMI 2.1 right now. Isn't really buying me anything since I'm not replaying my TV yet. I can upgrade my AVR to it in the spring (current eta, denon moved it back from fall due to the issue) but until I can take advantage of it with the rest of my signal chain I can't see spending the money on it. Plus I have to ship it to someplace in NY so I'd be without my receiver for a couple weeks.
Most my research is pointing to the 65" q80 samsung. Almost pulled the trigger but want to go home today and view it through the AR app and make sure 65" isn't too big. I had a 60 at first, when I dropped to my un55 for the one x, I was surprised how much smaller 5" can be and have to make sure 65 would even fit in the area I built.

You must be registered for see images attach

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Most my research is pointing to the 65" q80 samsung. Almost pulled the trigger but want to go home today and view it through the AR app and make sure 65" isn't too big. I had a 60 at first, when I dropped to my un55 for the one x, I was surprised how much smaller 5" can be and have to make sure 65 would even fit in the area I built.

I'm honestly not the biggest Samsung fan. I haven't really trusted them since they were caught spying through the TVs a couple years back. My bigger issue with them though it that they don't support Dolby Vision. You only get the stepped down HDR10 signal if you pay a disc that's in DV. Movie/streaming watching is my biggest use case so that is a big factor to me.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm honestly not the biggest Samsung fan. I haven't really trusted them since they were caught spying through the TVs a couple years back. My bigger issue with them though it that they don't support Dolby Vision. You only get the stepped down HDR10 signal if you pay a disc that's in DV. Movie/streaming watching is my biggest use case so that is a big factor to me.
My primary use is gaming. Unaware of the lack of dolby vision. I've been through like 5 respected review/need sites and this tv seems to always be top 5 and only beat by an oled that has issues

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Yeah, if I were to buy I'd get an OLED with the way they've come down in price. They were way too expensive last time I bought. I'm not a ton of gaining though. For gaming I'd probably still stick with an LCD. Less chance of burn in and the like.

Take a look at the Sony x900h too if you haven't already. I have a previous year version of the model and it's great. With the h line this year it looks like they really upgraded the tech in them too for gaming. It as VRR and other new features that your new toy will support.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last I checked the Sony did not have the VRR yet. The burn in issue is a concern for gaming as a lot of games have a hud display always on.

My current tv seems to support everything but 4k 120 fps, dolby vision and something else. Out of like 15 boxes, only 3 were unchecked so I am in no rush and will likely be watching prices leading to the super bowl before I buy anything.

Call of duty alone looks much better though. The textures alone are clearly better but what I notice the most is the draw distance. I can now see things clearly across the map instead of the other side of the whole map being visible but not clear.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last I checked the Sony did not have the VRR yet. The burn in issue is a concern for gaming as a lot of games have a hud display always on.

My current tv seems to support everything but 4k 120 fps, dolby vision and something else. Out of like 15 boxes, only 3 were unchecked so I am in no rush and will likely be watching prices leading to the super bowl before I buy anything.

Call of duty alone looks much better though. The textures alone are clearly better but what I notice the most is the draw distance. I can now see things clearly across the map instead of the other side of the whole map being visible but not clear.

I am in the same boat as you. Not rushing, but would like an upgrade from my 2017 OLED.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score

My bad on the Sony VRR. I thought the firmware in November added it but it didn't. That update was just for HDMI 2.1 speeds. The x900H is supposed to be getting VRR and ALLM in a future firmware update though.

It's smart waiting for the Super Bowl sales though. You can usually save a bit with them.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My bad on the Sony VRR. I thought the firmware in November added it but it didn't. That update was just for HDMI 2.1 speeds. The x900H is supposed to be getting VRR and ALLM in a future firmware update though.

It's smart waiting for the Super Bowl sales though. You can usually save a bit with them.
I was tempted to buy what I want and just ask for a rebate of the difference during the return period but I'll just be patient

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I was tempted to buy what I want and just ask for a rebate of the difference during the return period but I'll just be patient

Asking for a refund during a super bowl sale might be dicy if you bought now. it's still over a month away and that's stretching it for what most stores would do. Only way I'd buy now is if you had an equipment dealer giving you a good price on it. I'm trying to think if I know of one for TVs like this. I have a Klipsch guy and guy for AVRs and projectors but I don't have a TV guy off hand.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
looking at TVs is such a chore.

looking at super bowl sales, then researching if the sets are worth a damn for what I really use it for, etc.

I hooked my old xbox one in my room and realized the TV in my room has HORRIBLE input lag. Didnt know it could be this bad. Tried to play rocket league and it was comical. Teammate telling me to delete my game lol

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave