2020 Draft

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Good teams run a team offense at the end of the game and the idea of a "closer" in the NBA is nonsense.

The Jordan Bulls won plenty of games with complimentary players hitting game winners. Kobe had more airballs tipped in for winners at the buzzer in the playoffs than he hit himself.

Furthermore, Booker has consistently been one of the best clutch shooters since he entered the league, he just faces the teeth of the defense late in games. It would be helpful to become LESS predictable and not try to force the offense through one player late.
You're talking theoretically.

I'm talking what we've seen this season.

The Suns have lost a lot of close games.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You're talking theoretically.

I'm talking what we've seen this season.

The Suns have lost a lot of close games.

Nothing of that was theoretical, you asked what we thought about the Suns lack of a closer... an NBA team needing a "closer" is theoretical.

The Suns have made plenty of big shots late in games... we've also given up a lot of them and Booker is, not theoretically in anyway, a good clutch shooter.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I'll be darned. KRay just said in during the 3rd quarter vs. the Rockets that,
statistically, Oubre is the best clutch closing 3-point shooter in the league.

The eye test, man, the eye test. :)

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Precious Achiuwa is another interesting prospect at the PF position. He is super raw but has loads of potential. I see him as a boom or bust prospect.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Precious Achiuwa is another interesting prospect at the PF position. He is super raw but has loads of potential. I see him as a boom or bust prospect.

I haven't studied the draft but no way this guy busts based upon what he showed in the video. And he has a 7'2.25" wingspan.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

How's his 3 point shooting?

JerkFace

Reaction score
How's his 3 point shooting?
He is shooting 40% but is only averaging 1 three point shot per game. He only shoots 58% from the free throw line and averages 3 turnovers per game. Lots of good in his game but at this point, lots of bad too.

Last edited:

JerkFace

Reaction score

Obi Toppin is still at the top of my 2020 draft wish list.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Obi Toppin is still at the top of my 2020 draft wish list.

His mid round great, with that ability, is confusing. Especially with how lousy the rest of the class looks.

Jaden McDaniels is rated higher and I would he terrified to draft that kid.

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Count me in on my wish list being Obi Toppin. I like Carey the Duke kid better than McDaniels.

JerkFace

Reaction score
His mid round great, with that ability, is confusing. Especially with how lousy the rest of the class looks.

Jaden McDaniels is rated higher and I would he terrified to draft that kid.
Toppin is going to be 22 years old on draft night, plus he is from a small school. These types of players always drop a bit.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sign me up for all those athletic big men. :D

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Count me in on my wish list being Obi Toppin. I like Carey the Duke kid better than McDaniels.

Toppin is moving up fast on my list for the Warriors. He's able to step away and make shots, Carey can too but I think Toppin is better at it and more NBA ready. Carey is big enough to play the 5, Toppin probably isn't but with the Warriors that's less of a concern because they often play Draymond at the 5 anyways.

The downside is 22, and didn't play at an elite school so there's some competition questions.

And of course Wiseman may just blow everyone away at the workouts, size and talent wise he's probably still the best in the class he just has less time to prove it.

JerkFace

Reaction score

This sucks for Tyrese, but ultimately may benefit the Suns if it causes him to slide a bit.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns drafted Jeff Hornacek out of Iowa State in the second round.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
I don't care if Toppin is 22 and coming from a smaller school but he is an excellent prospect.

His ceiling might be Pascal Siakam and I can easily see him becoming a longer and more polished version of Thaddeus Young.
I like what Obi brings to the 4. He has surprising mobility and is an actual threat from 3 (unlike Pascal in college). He's also actually a threat dribbling the ball from the top of the key which should make him a double threat. He has great hands around the basket and is a strong finisher.

However, he has terrible positioning on rebounding which contributes to his abysmal 7.8 per game stat line (Not even top 100 in DI). Remember this guy is playing schools like Omaha and North Florida. At his size he should be at least above 10 per game. He gets himself in terrible position and relies heavily on his dominant size to get boards. He lackadaisically will box out and shows poor timing when attacking the ball off the glass.

He also displays terrible timing when trying to block the ball (1.4 in 31 minutes is REALLY bad... especially for a 22 year old). Again, with the weak schedule this stat is truly awful.

He has potential to be a good defender considering his size and agility, but he has a ton of bad habits that will drive good coaches nuts.

This guy really needs to get his butt in the video room with a good big man coach. If he's coachable, due to his athleticism he can be really good. It all hangs on that IF.

One more thing, the guy looks like he's 32, not 22, so James Jones will love him.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like what Obi brings to the 4. He has surprising mobility and is an actual threat from 3 (unlike Pascal in college). He's also actually a threat dribbling the ball from the top of the key which should make him a double threat. He has great hands around the basket and is a strong finisher.

However, he has terrible positioning on rebounding which contributes to his abysmal 7.8 per game stat line (Not even top 100 in DI). Remember this guy is playing schools like Omaha and North Florida. At his size he should be at least above 10 per game. He gets himself in terrible position and relies heavily on his dominant size to get boards. He lackadaisically will box out and shows poor timing when attacking the ball off the glass.

He also displays terrible timing when trying to block the ball (1.4 in 31 minutes is REALLY bad... especially for a 22 year old). Again, with the weak schedule this stat is truly awful.

He has potential to be a good defender considering his size and agility, but he has a ton of bad habits that will drive good coaches nuts.

This guy really needs to get his butt in the video room with a good big man coach. If he's coachable, due to his athleticism he can be really good. It all hangs on that IF.

One more thing, the guy looks like he's 32, not 22, so James Jones will love him.
Your use of the terms “really bad” and “abysmal” are just not accurate. They are extreme. Change those terms to “mediocre” and “not as good as some might like” and you have a more reasonable evaluation.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
Your use of the terms “really bad” and “abysmal” are just not accurate. They are extreme. Change those terms to “mediocre” and “not as good as some might like” and you have a more reasonable evaluation.
Well, what would you call a 6-9 Forward that is ranked 101st in BPG in DI while playing in the A-10 (and at 31 MPG)? He is currently behind 2 Guards. At his size and athleticism and in that conference I would guess there are few 1st round prospects that have been worse.

He's ranked #123 in rebounds. Again, he plays against A-10 players. That's not good. That's not average. That's not even below average.

He's currently ranked 6th in BPG in the A-10. Right behind Marcus Weathers... you know, the 6-5 Forward from Duquesne.
He's currently ranked 8th in RPG in the A-10. Right behind Marcus Weathers... you know, the 6-5 Forward from Duquesne.

Argue semantics all you want. Those numbers are not good.

JerkFace

Reaction score
Since Carolinacacti brought it up... the only point guards that don’t scare the hell out of me are Tyrese Haliburton and Killian Hayes, and I will be the first to admit, I have watched tons of Haliburton games but only highlights of Hayes. The rest of the top point guards (Ball, Anthony, Mannion) I really don’t have much interest in. Assuming we pick in the 10-14 range I don’t think we will even have a shot at Ball or Anthony though.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave