2020 Draft

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm intrigued by young players with tangible skills and shooting seems to be his best asset.

If his measurements check out at the combine and he can play point guard I'm willing to keep an open mind.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I'm intrigued by young players with tangible skills and shooting seems to be his best asset.

If his measurements check out at the combine and he can play point guard I'm willing to keep an open mind.
I will admit I haven’t watched or seriously looked into him at all. I had done deep dives into about the top 20 players in this draft but he generally didn’t show up. Seems like if we really like him though that a trade back would be a better use of the #10 asset. With Jones though you never know. Since he has only conducted 1 draft it is impossible to separate trends from aberrations.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will admit I haven’t watched or seriously looked into him at all. I had done deep dives into about the top 20 players in this draft but he generally didn’t show up. Seems like if we really like him though that a trade back would be a better use of the #10 asset. With Jones though you never know. Since he has only conducted 1 draft it is impossible to separate trends from aberrations.

It's so hard to know when we haven't seen these players play live.

I must say when my first impression was Trae Young I got excited. We will have to keep our eyes open for any combine information and whether he moves up in other mocks.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
Hmmm...

I watched his film a few months back and thought he was sloppy, too thin, an absolutely terrible defender, and displayed limited athleticism. I was concerned he couldn't get that shot off against a Patrick Beverly type since he has almost no one on one skill.

Gaining an inch and weighing in at 190 would certainly help. The kid can outright shoot (well... catch and shoot). But how does that clean up the mess he is with the ball in his hands? Or his suspect athleticism? Or his limited one on one potential? How is he all that different from Ty Jerome (in that he's a smart player who can shoot 3's, but doesn't do much else)?

He has a lot of room to grow. Personally, I wouldn't put him above Kira Lewis, Killian Hayes, or Theo Maledon yet. I'd still have him ahead of Dotson, Anthony, and Mannion.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm...

I watched his film a few months back and thought he was sloppy, too thin, an absolutely terrible defender, and displayed limited athleticism. I was concerned he couldn't get that shot off against a Patrick Beverly type since he has almost no one on one skill.

Gaining an inch and weighing in at 190 would certainly help. The kid can outright shoot (well... catch and shoot). But how does that clean up the mess he is with the ball in his hands? Or his suspect athleticism? Or his limited one on one potential? How is he all that different from Ty Jerome (in that he's a smart player who can shoot 3's, but doesn't do much else)?

He has a lot of room to grow. Personally, I wouldn't put him above Kira Lewis, Killian Hayes, or Theo Maledon yet. I'd still have him ahead of Dotson, Anthony, and Mannion.

I appreciate the feedback. Watching game video (which can be deceptive) Terry appears faster than Jerome and has a quick compact release on his shot. I especially see the difference in shooting. Jerome has trouble getting his shot off against NBA competition and below average wingspan doesn't help. Defense will be a issue for Terry though. I'm not making a case for him. Just some observations.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't agree we don't need another wing. We do. Oubre is likely out of here, even if he isn't you really can't have to many wings, that is what the league is going to.

That said I want Toppin - bad. He looks so much like Amare on O I really don't even care if his D sucks.
Nonsense. Too much redundancy at any position doesn’t help your team if the talent isn’t getting on the court because of a log jam at that position.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Seriously?!? No Bey or Williams, the two biggest players I was curious about the measurements of. Also no Vassell, Okongwu or Toppin:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously?!? No Bey or Williams, the two biggest players I was curious about the measurements of. Also no Vassell, Okongwu or Toppin:

I'm not quite certain how these lists are determined. I would think a player like Tyrese Maxey would want to participate in the combine.

I guess some players already have a good idea where they are going in the draft.

Also interesting LaMelo Ball and Deni Avdija are participating.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LaMelo Ball hasn't spoken to Suns.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A repeat for those who missed it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regarding Killian Hayes. He has not spoken to Suns yet.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arizona center Zeke Nnaji has spoken to Suns.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More about Jalen Smith

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I hear names like Zeke Nnaji the Suns could be doing their due diligence, thinking about trading down in the draft or adding another draft pick.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
When I hear names like Zeke Nnaji the Suns could be doing their due diligence, thinking about trading down in the draft or adding another draft pick.

If they get a late first round pick or an early second round pick, and if they get a veteran to start, they could do worse than Nnaji as a back-up and project for the future.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they get a late first round pick or an early second round pick, and if they get a veteran to start, they could do worse than Nnaji as a back-up and project for the future.

Zeke has a good motor and nice athleticism. It's a bit frustrating to see players drive by him but he is only a freshman and will learn.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
or... gulp... they're interesting in taking him at #10... which makes my stomach hurt.

In a bad draft like this, Zeke still falls in the 25-35 range. Nothing on his film suggests he should go higher. And I didn't see anything all that impressive from him. Man, I hope you're right and they're looking to land a late first. But even if they do, I'd still go Carey, Beys, or Azubuike before Zeke. Or hope someone falls like Maledon, Terry, or Kira Lewis.

One thing we know about JJ is that he doesn't give a rip about draft value. If he likes Zeke, he's taking Zeke at #10. Ugh.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
or... gulp... they're interesting in taking him at #10... which makes my stomach hurt.

In a bad draft like this, Zeke still falls in the 25-35 range. Nothing on his film suggests he should go higher. And I didn't see anything all that impressive from him. Man, I hope you're right and they're looking to land a late first. But even if they do, I'd still go Carey, Beys, or Azubuike before Zeke. Or hope someone falls like Maledon, Terry, or Kira Lewis.

One thing we know about JJ is that he doesn't give a rip about draft value. If he likes Zeke, he's taking Zeke at #10. Ugh.

I don't think Zeke is a candidate for #10 even for James Jones. Watch this come back to haunt me.

I'm hoping the Suns are doing their homework for a trade down or perhaps buying a pick... maybe a second rounder.

There should be some good options at #10 for a point guard, wing or a big man. Jalen Smith was one of the first players I saw on video so I have a soft spot for him. However, since point guards are so hard to find, if a good one is there I'd look at him closely.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we’re reaching that far I’ll go with Riller lol.

If we are going to go there, I like what I saw of Tyrell Terry if he has put on weight and is a legit 6'3."

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns have interviewed Tyrell Terry. This is becoming very interesting.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Getting really concerned that James Jones is about to do another major reach...