2020 Draft

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Replicates Barrett too much. Here, he doesn't shoot well enough for floor spacing or defend well enough to make up for it.
The knicks management is the only one thats worse then the sun's , okorro is the exact pick I'd figure they'd make

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DraftExpress has the Suns selecting wing Aaron Nesmith at number 10.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
DraftExpress has the Suns selecting wing Aaron Nesmith at number 10.

The knock on him is that he can't create his own shot and is a subpar ball handler. If James Jones's quote is accurate, I can't see Nesmith being the pick.

That said, as long as we get a starting power forward by some means, and we don't pick a point guard other than Haliburton or Lewis, I am fine with pretty much whomever we pick at 10, including Nesmith.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Well, Tankathon now has Toppin falling to 10, where the Suns snatch him up. Best case scenario, in my opinion.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, Tankathon now has Toppin falling to 10, where the Suns snatch him up. Best case scenario, in my opinion.
I agree. The Suns getting another wingman doesn’t help this team at all. If the Suns can’t get a PF either because one falls or a trade package it will be a disappointing draft IMO. That is assuming the Suns can’t land someone in FA.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score

The last line is interesting. Seems to remove Nesmith from the conversation.

To be honest, this seems to describe Vassell perfectly.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Yup, and I'm fine with that as long as we get a power forward via trade or free agency.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree. The Suns getting another wingman doesn’t help this team at all. If the Suns can’t get a PF either because one falls or a trade package it will be a disappointing draft IMO. That is assuming the Suns can’t land someone in FA.

I don't agree we don't need another wing. We do. Oubre is likely out of here, even if he isn't you really can't have to many wings, that is what the league is going to.

That said I want Toppin - bad. He looks so much like Amare on O I really don't even care if his D sucks.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I don't agree we don't need another wing. We do. Oubre is likely out of here, even if he isn't you really can't have to many wings, that is what the league is going to.

That said I want Toppin - bad. He looks so much like Amare on O I really don't even care if his D sucks.
You can have too many Wings if you don't have a strong starting Power Forward to cover for Ayton.

It would be nice if every car could have a backup battery in place, but not at the expense of having brakes.

Balance!

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You can have too many Wings if you don't have a strong starting Power Forward to cover for Ayton.

It would be nice if every car could have a backup battery in place, but not at the expense of having brakes.

Balance!

Who was the strong starting PF this year that covered for Ayton this year? We didn't have one! You keep trying to pitch this outdated idea that has no basis in reality. Where are they covering for Ayton, on the glass or in the paint? Ayton does well handling both. He could be better but he's been improving as it is. I say he could be better because he has a lot of natural athletic gifts that would allow him to be better than he's shown so far but as it is he's playing like the best Center the Suns have ever had.

Now you can say the Suns have never won a title, which doesn't matter. There has to be a first time for everything and before last year Toronto never won a title, that didn't make them throw in the towel on the season because they hadn't won one before.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I agree, but given how revolting this draft is, it blows my mind that Toppin at 10 is a possibility. Specific to the Suns... he'd probably be on the top of the board.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a masterful job the Warriors have done tanking. I have a hunch that team is not going to be as dominating as they once were though. They were built in a certain type of chemistry and that is hard to maintain with any kind of turnover.

I wonder how the TWolves will blow it.

They key is going to be how they replace Iggy. It's reasonable to assume Curry will still be elite, he's getting up in age a bit but he's never been a guy that relies on athleticism. Klay we could see some drop off on defense with the knee hindering lateral movement but again he's not an athleticism guy so he should be able to come back from the knee. Draymond should be in his prime. Wiggins was better than I expected, I'm still not sold he's clearly NOT Iggy but he did seem to fit better than I expected. He'll obviously have to adjust to being the 3rd option with Steph and Klay back but it's potentially doable. I think the big concern is on defense, iggy was the Warriors best defender, Wiggins has that level of athleticism but he's been a average to below average defender IMO. He was ok last year hard to judge the team had so many guys missing.

So they should have a solid 4 some there. Paschall was a steal. They have some young talent but clearly if they can get a guy in the draft who can be used in trade they're probably going to do it and Wiggins seems to be the most likely of the 4 to be traded.

I guess we'll see obviously the pipe dream is Giannis but I don't see that happening my guess is they'll explore moving Wiggins and the pick, not get enough and wind up keeping both.

I don't see them being able to be as good defensively as they were during the finals runs and that was a huge factor in how good they were.

I'll say it again I really wish there was a way to get Joe Harris he's the absolute perfect fit for this team, great shooter, good defender, knows his role. I know it wouldn't work under the cap but I'd almost trade Wiggins straight up for him he just fits the team perfectly.

Another interesting bit is the talk that it's possible they will draft a SG with the idea of moving Klay to the 3.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We 100% need another wing that can initiate the offense. When Booker goes to the bench or is off the numbers for this team tank.

you can’t run the offense through Ayton he’s just not aggressive enough. Idk if he ever will be that guy honestly.

this isn’t 1998 we don’t need some defensive minded PF to cover for Ayton we need guys who can get baskets. Right now we pretty much have 1 guy that can get his own shot. That doesn’t work in today’s NBA over a season

we need to package that pick and make a move

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was glad to hear this comment by James Jones. Older is not necessarily better.

By Kellan Olson at Arizona Sports:

“I don’t go based on age,” he said.

“If there’s a young player that demonstrated the ability to be a reliable player, to be consistent enough to earn minutes every night I have no problem drafting that player.”

https://arizonasports.com/story/236...ind-really-good-player-at-no-10-in-nba-draft/

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree, but given how revolting this draft is, it blows my mind that Toppin at 10 is a possibility. Specific to the Suns... he'd probably be on the top of the board.

Yeah, I'd be really surprised if Toppin ends up outside the top 5. I'd be less shocked to see someone like Ball drop to our spot.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd be really surprised if Toppin ends up outside the top 5. I'd be less shocked to see someone like Ball drop to our spot.

Most every article I read raves about LaMelo Ball.

It's one of those picks based on upside. He could be that good but it's all speculation that he will develop into a special player.

As Suns fans we know how drafting on upside can work out with Bender, Chriss and Jackson.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most every article I read raves about LaMelo Ball.

It's one of those picks based on upside. He could be that good but it's all speculation that he will develop into a special player.

As Suns fans we know how drafting on upside can work out with Bender, Chriss and Jackson.

I don't mind drafting primarily on up-side but when you're out that far on the limb you need to have confidence in the person's character, work ethic and his willingness/ability to learn. Ball falls short in some of those categories along with having Chriss-sized flaws in his game, I'm not sure his tremendous up-side is enough to warrant taking him as a high pick. If he falls to us, that's a different story (maybe, you still have to worry about the dad).

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't mind drafting primarily on up-side but when you're out that far on the limb you need to have confidence in the person's character, work ethic and his willingness/ability to learn. Ball falls short in some of those categories along with having Chriss-sized flaws in his game, I'm not sure his tremendous up-side is enough to warrant taking him as a high pick. If he falls to us, that's a different story (maybe, you still have to worry about the dad).

If LaMelo falls to the Suns at number 10 they should definitely kick the tires but that is unlikely to happen.

And if he did, one would have to question why. I'm not as concerned about the dad as I once was.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Who was the strong starting PF this year that covered for Ayton this year? We didn't have one! You keep trying to pitch this outdated idea that has no basis in reality. Where are they covering for Ayton, on the glass or in the paint? Ayton does well handling both. He could be better but he's been improving as it is. I say he could be better because he has a lot of natural athletic gifts that would allow him to be better than he's shown so far but as it is he's playing like the best Center the Suns have ever had.

Now you can say the Suns have never won a title, which doesn't matter. There has to be a first time for everything and before last year Toronto never won a title, that didn't make them throw in the towel on the season because they hadn't won one before.

Ayton can't do it by himself.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
and Booker can’t carry the scoring load all by himself

Agreed. We need help with both: A starting power forward AND a back-up shooting guard. Those two, in that order, plus a back-up center as a distant third, need to be our priorities this offseason.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would be more surprised to see Toppin drop to us than to see him go #1 overall.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

My concern, if the Suns draft another wing they are literally pushing Oubre out the door.

Unless the Suns have a prearranged trade, they are setting up another unhappy player scenario much like TJ Warren.

Suns can't repeat making this mistake over and over again.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
My concern, if the Suns draft another wing they are literally pushing Oubre out the door.

Unless the Suns have a prearranged trade, they are setting up another unhappy player scenario much like TJ Warren.

Suns can't repeat making this mistake over and over again.

Indeed.

If the Suns draft a small forward, as opposed to a shooting guard (where there is indeed a hole behind Booker), they better have a trade already in place for Oubre or Bridges, hopefully for a starting power forward.

As it stands now, the Suns can get away with starting Oubre at Small Forward with Bridges backing Oubre up at Small Forward (or starting Bridges at Small Forward with Oubre as the 6th man and leading the scoring punch off the bench, IF Oubre is willing to accept that role) and Cam backing up at power forward.

Unless we find an heir apparent to Rubio in the draft, I think we are actually okay, albeit not spectacular, at point guard, with Rubio starting and Payne and Carter coming off the bench.

I continue to maintain that our needs, in order, are:

1. Starting Power Forward
2. Back-up Shooting Guard
3. Back-up Center

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave