2020 Draft

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I would take Vasell,Achiuwa,Bey, Nesmith all before Avdija. I might even take the polish kid Pokuševski.

I want someone that has some potential or at the very least can hit the 3 at a good rate.

I actually feel like the suns should try and trade up for Hayes, Haliburton, or Toppin. I don't think it would be that expensive, although we don't have much to offer.

The more I think about it, trading Oubre to Golden State to get Toppin, or Ball, and getting one or two of their young bench players may not be a terrible idea.
Oubre in one year contract coming off injury isn’t worth that to GS.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Proximo, post: 4238314, member: 10226"]It was a Golden State writer that suggested they should trade for Oubre with just that kind of package - I did add the additional player but if we give them back one of our backup PG's I think we could get something back. The warriors are in win mode now, they don't want a draft pick, they want a plug and play piece that gets them in to title contention. I think it is a realistic possibility.

Lamelo Ball is better than Lonzo. Is he historically a good #1 pick - No.

I just see the Suns trading Oubre one way or another, I feel like Toppin could be our answer at PF and Ball could be our long term PG.[/QUOTE]
Interesting. Still wouldn’t think it would fly.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A more athletic Dario would likely be a really good player. Dario is incredibly savvy with good size. If he was a better athlete he’d be exactly what we need as a starting PF.

I said slightly more athletic. Not athletic enough to be a good starting NBA 4.

My point is, we would be better off just resigning Dario if we are going to settle for that guy. Dario's price is not going to be very high and if he can live with being a backup he might be ok to keep around.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I said slightly more athletic. Not athletic enough to be a good starting NBA 4.

My point is, we would be better off just resigning Dario if we are going to settle for that guy. Dario's price is not going to be very high and if he can live with being a backup he might be ok to keep around.

I agree with this. Price is important, of course, but if Dario were to resign for somewhere between $4 and $6 million a year then I'd be fine with retaining him as a backup. That would be a tradable contract, if it came to that, and he's better than some give him credit for. He's not a great starting PF but he is average or slightly below average as a PF next to Ayton and he's young enough that the light may still come on for him.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Did we ever get Kaminsky and Ayton on the court at the same time, with Kaminsky as our "PF?" Both seemed like they never got in the same game much with the suspension and injuries.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Did we ever get Kaminsky and Ayton on the court at the same time, with Kaminsky as our "PF?" Both seemed like they never got in the same game much with the suspension and injuries.

They only played in 2 games together, the first game of the year and Ayton's return from suspension and never shared the floor. I would like to see that though. Baynes was out for that Clippers game so Kaminsky was playing as Ayton's backup and the first game against the Kings was a blow out of sorts. Frank and Ayton has to be better than Ayton and Baynes were together. I remember those 2 seemed to get in each others way a lot but Frank is a better passer than Baynes and also moves off the ball better so I think he'll be able to open up the offense more while providing some size.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
If we don’t make the playoffs are we locked into the #10 spot or do we drop down below the teams we passed in the bubble?

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Not positive but I believe the draft order is set based off the record before the bubble
Yea, that’s what I thought too, but I couldn’t remember for sure. I thought I remembered that if the Wizards made the playoffs we could move up to #9 but otherwise we were locked into 10 (unless we made the playoffs). I’m getting old though and my memory sucks... haha. And I’m also clearly too lazy to google search it :)

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we don’t make the playoffs are we locked into the #10 spot or do we drop down below the teams we passed in the bubble?

We'll stay at 10. Say we made the playoffs though, we'd end up with the 15th or 16th pick, whichever the Grizzlies had on March 10th or whatever date the league stopped. They would move in to the 14th spot and every team that was behind us moves up one spot.

That's how I've seen it discussed a few times. I think that would make the most sense also.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We'll stay at 10. Say we made the playoffs though, we'd end up with the 15th or 16th pick, whichever the Grizzlies had on March 10th or whatever date the league stopped. They would move in to the 14th spot and every team that was behind us moves up one spot.

That's how I've seen it discussed a few times. I think that would make the most sense also.

This is right about the standings should the Suns not make the playoffs.

On a different note, I've had the Suns come out 11 or 12 in the the lottery simulator more than I'd like. I so want them to get an early pick.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is right about the standings should the Suns not make the playoffs.

On a different note, I've had the Suns come out 11 or 12 in the the lottery simulator more than I'd like. I so want them to get an early pick.
They also end up 1-3 more than I expect. The new odds make it interesting. If they get the chance, they should draft Wiseman. The Suns need another big rim protector. He is mobile enough to play pf or have Deandre slide of to pf some.

The play of Cam Payne has opened up a lot of possibilities. I keep this core together as much as possible and just add depth.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They also end up 1-3 more than I expect. The new odds make it interesting. If they get the chance, they should draft Wiseman. The Suns need another big rim protector. He is mobile enough to play pf or have Deandre slide of to pf some.

The play of Cam Payne has opened up a lot of possibilities. I keep this core together as much as possible and just add depth.

It sounds like you have better luck with the lottery simulator than I do. :wink2:

The Suns do need a rim protector or two but there are a number of ways to address it. I'd be fine with Wiseman but they have multiple needs. An athletic power forward or two that can play the 4/5 would be nice. I'd like to keep Saric for the right price if he agrees to come off the bench.

The addition of Payne and the further development of Carter has given the Suns some needed help at backup point guard. Filling this position doesn't seem as important as it once was and it shows on the court.

A combo guard would help in a couple of ways. He would add more shooting and add another ball handler that can be groomed for the future.

The players I'd release or try to find a new home are as follows: Kaminsky, Diallo, Jerome, Okobo and I would not overpay for Baynes.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Well, depth plus a starting power forward...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It sounds like you have better luck with the lottery simulator than I do. :wink2:

The Suns do need a rim protector or two but there are a number of ways to address it. I'd be fine with Wiseman but they have multiple needs. An athletic power forward or two that can play the 4/5 would be nice. I'd like to keep Saric for the right price if he agrees to come off the bench.

The addition of Payne and the further development of Carter has given the Suns some needed help at backup point guard. Filling this position doesn't seem as important as it once was and it shows on the court.

A combo guard would help in a couple of ways. He would add more shooting and add another ball handler that can be groomed for the future.

The players I'd release or try to find a new home are as follows: Kaminsky, Diallo, Jerome, Okobo and I would not overpay for Baynes.

Precisely this, only I think that at least one athletic power forward that can play 4/5 is not only nice, but an absolute necessity.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Are we at the stage where we need to trade this pick--wherever it might fall--for a player that fits?

I am not sure I see another young player getting enough time to develop on this team--especially a young player from this draft.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Are we at the stage where we need to trade this pick--wherever it might fall--for a player that fits?

I am not sure I see another young player getting enough time to develop on this team--especially a young player from this draft.

If they lose Saric then they will certainly need another front court player that can play big minutes right away. If Saric stays I think they can plan for longer term.

Short term thinking and dumping picks for vets is what screwed us in the Nash era, I'd rather not repeat it if we don't have to.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If they lose Saric then they will certainly need another front court player that can play big minutes right away. If Saric stays I think they can plan for longer term.

Short term thinking and dumping picks for vets is what screwed us in the Nash era, I'd rather not repeat it if we don't have to.

If they keep Saric, they still need another front court player that can play big minutes right away. It can be a younger player to develop over time, but the fact remains that the Suns do not have a player on their roster who is capable of being a legitimate NBA starting power forward, now or in the future.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If they keep Saric, they still need another front court player that can play big minutes right away. It can be a younger player to develop over time, but the fact remains that the Suns do not have a player on their roster who is capable of being a legitimate NBA starting power forward, now or in the future.

The Oubre, Bridges, Ayton starting front was not only good, but great when they got to play together. Not many teams have real beef eaters anymore.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Oubre, Bridges, Ayton starting front was not only good, but great when they got to play together. Not many teams have real beef eaters anymore.

Lakers (Davis), Clippers (Harrell), Pelicans (Williamson), Grizzlies (Jackson), Warriors (Green), Spurs (Aldridge), Mavs (Porzingis), Kings (Bagley), Bucks (Antetokoumnpo), Raptors (Siakam), 76ers (Horford), Pistons (Griffin), Pacers (Sabonis), Hawks (Collins), plus whichever teams get Favors and Millsap.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lakers (Davis), Clippers (Harrell), Pelicans (Williamson), Grizzlies (Jackson), Warriors (Green), Spurs (Aldridge), Mavs (Porzingis), Kings (Bagley), Bucks (Antetokoumnpo), Raptors (Siakam), 76ers (Horford), Pistons (Griffin), Pacers (Sabonis), Hawks (Collins), plus whichever teams get Favors and Millsap.

Most of those guys will be matched up with Ayton, Siakam is NOT beef, he is more in the mold of Oubre, Bagley sucks and, again, we did REALLY well with that lineup on the floor.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

totally agree. This team is still missing one big piece if they’re really ever going to be a legit contender. They might be able to get that at 10.

they are NOT in gotta get vets now mode to put them over the top. They are still building and can’t blow lotto picks where they can do that.