2020 3rd round pick is Josh Jones T

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
With almost zero preseason I can't see Jones contributing much early on. At least he was only a 3rd rounder. Teams that drafted OL early in the 1st will probably not get much return on their investment this season. They could still throw the young kids out there for baptism by fire but it could get their QB killed.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With almost zero preseason I can't see Jones contributing much early on. At least he was only a 3rd rounder. Teams that drafted OL early in the 1st will probably not get much return on their investment this season. They could still throw the young kids out there for baptism by fire but it could get their QB killed.

I’d be shocked if there was a season

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yes, and we may have the opportunity to recycle your "Jones is a bust" prognostications.
We absolutely may. Like most on this board, sometimes I am right and sometimes I am wrong. I loved Jonathan Cooper and Senio Kelemete and Mason Cole, none of which worked out for the Cardinals. We all want the Cardinals to succeed so we all are going to be inclined to make some statements that look super silly a year or two down the road. It's all in fun.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
We absolutely may. Like most on this board, sometimes I am right and sometimes I am wrong. I loved Jonathan Cooper and Senio Kelemete and Mason Cole, none of which worked out for the Cardinals. We all want the Cardinals to succeed so we all are going to be inclined to make some statements that look super silly a year or two down the road. It's all in fun.
Senio Kelemete was a hit, just not for the Cardinals.

Even Cole Toner played significant snaps for the Chargers last year and would be useful as a backup.

The craziest thing about Keim's failures as a GM is that he was an offensive lineman and his scouting staff has been awful at identifying offensive linemen. Granted, he hasn't used a ton of real draft capital on OL, but the sheer number of guys that don't stay on the roster more than a year or two is horrible

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
he’s had one Covid shortened season dude.

you would think watching DJ turn into a top 5 LT would of taught you something.

it takes time to develop for some guys
This is my hope still. Generally though if a guy isn't starting by year two, he almost never will.

Part of the issue is that some on this board are not fans of Kelvin Beachum, even though the team loves him and ESPN's metrics love him. If you think Beachum is good (which I do), then it's understandable that Jones wouldn't beat him out.

For some reason, the team really likes Justin Murray as well. That's my sticking point, how does Jones not beat out Justin Murray? Justin Murray was decent early in the year, got hurt, and then when he came back he was awful.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
he’s had one Covid shortened season dude.

you would think watching DJ turn into a top 5 LT would of taught you something.

it takes time to develop for some guys
Name the good OL guys who it has taken time to develop that didn't start year 2. I will give you one, Ryan Jensen. However, he went to a DII school, was a 6th round pick, and switched from OT to C.

Here is what I learned with Mason Cole, whom I really liked coming out of college. He started training camp in 2018 behind AQ Shipley, a marginal vet NFL C. AQ Shipley tore his ACL and Cole started every game that season. In 2019, Shipley was once again starting. We all wondered why. Now it is obvious that Cole was just not as good as a marginal vet C. I feel like we are seeing the same thing with Jones.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Name the good OL guys who it has taken time to develop that didn't start year 2. I will give you one, Ryan Jensen. However, he went to a DII school, was a 6th round pick, and switched from OT to C.

Here is what I learned with Mason Cole, whom I really liked coming out of college. He started training camp in 2018 behind AQ Shipley, a marginal vet NFL C. AQ Shipley tore his ACL and Cole started every game that season. In 2019, Shipley was once again starting. We all wondered why. Now it is obvious that Cole was just not as good as a marginal vet C. I feel like we are seeing the same thing with Jones.

His second year hasn’t even started yet dude.

you sounding real thirsty to be right about something. I’m getting the feeling you’d rather be right about this than him turn into an all pro. Your pretty much cheerleading for him to not be good

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
His second year hasn’t even started yet dude.

you sounding real thirsty to be right about something. I’m getting the feeling you’d rather be right about this than him turn into an all pro. Your pretty much cheerleading for him to not be good
Why not just have a football conversation about why Jones could still end up being good? No reason to attack one of the better posters on the board for not bringing real football content. That's pretty much all he does. Including in the post you quoted and responded with a personal attack.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why not just have a football conversation about why Jones could still end up being good? No reason to attack one of the better posters on the board for not bringing real football content. That's pretty much all he does. Including in the post you quoted and responded with a personal attack.

that’s a personal attack?

because he clearly has no interest in having a football conversation about if Jones can be good. It’s digging up an old post to say see I told you so and that’s fine but make no mistake his post were not “football post” welcoming a back and forth discussion on if Jones can be good or not.

and like I said that’s perfectly fine. I’m not going to tell him dude stick to football, that’s boring.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I have to say, not being able to get on the field at this point is discouraging. In 2020, it wasn't crazy due to the lack of training camp and things to get young guys up to speed.

I'm not wholly writing him off, but our recent track record has proven to be poor.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
that’s a personal attack?

because he clearly has no interest in having a football conversation about if Jones can be good. It’s digging up an old post to say see I told you so and that’s fine but make no mistake his post were not “football post” welcoming a back and forth discussion on if Jones can be good or not.

and like I said that’s perfectly fine. I’m not going to tell him dude stick to football, that’s boring.
Because no one is making the case that Jones can be good. He’s made the point that most of the time he’s have shown enough by now to find his way on the football field. He’s cited a ton of examples.

now, if you think that Jones can be good, the burden is on you to support that argument.

this is like when Krang said that Kevin Minter was Actually Good when the Cards did everything in their power to keep him off the field. Turns out he was Not Good.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Because no one is making the case that Jones can be good. He’s made the point that most of the time he’s have shown enough by now to find his way on the football field. He’s cited a ton of examples.

now, if you think that Jones can be good, the burden is on you to support that argument.

this is like when Krang said that Kevin Minter was Actually Good when the Cards did everything in their power to keep him off the field. Turns out he was Not Good.

you just ignored my entire post. This isn’t a football conversation. He has no interest in a football conversation about if he can be good or not his mind is made up. Given this thread and his biggest loser in camp thread.

it has been pointed out by a few guys that this kid had literally played 1 season and it was the most unusual season in NFL history, but again you’ve ignored that.

like I said I don’t care that he had his mind made it it makes for fun on this board and if it was all black and white that would be boring. You’ve never been sitting around with your friends talking sports and just been like YOU’RE F’ing CRAZY!! or did you say come on guys let’s not attack each other and just stick to football.

and by the way I gotta be honest here in all my years here I have never once felt the urge to step in on behalf of another poster and try and tell people what they meant and be like hey be nice to him. I just find that odd.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

by the way Kevin Minter was a serviceable player who 8 years later is still collecting NFL pay checks and that’s more than a lot of guys could say

guys who are not good and don’t offer anything usually don’t last 8 years in the nfl

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Jones played RG in the preseason and looked fine.

As fans what else do we have to go on?

Minter has been making the final 53 season-after-season and has a Super Bowl ring.

How bad is that?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Jones played RG in the preseason and looked fine.

As fans what else do we have to go on?

Minter has been making the final 53 season-after-season and has a Super Bowl ring.

How bad is that?
It's hilarious he is bringing up Minter who was basically just an average player, not a hit or a miss, average.

If we take into account what happened last season, the pandemic AND Jones switching from LT to RT and competing against a very seasoned good veteran, it's not really fair to hold last year against him.

He has looked good in camp and in the games, so there must be other variables that we aren't accounting for at this point.