2020 3rd round pick is Josh Jones T

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
His second year hasn’t even started yet dude.

you sounding real thirsty to be right about something. I’m getting the feeling you’d rather be right about this than him turn into an all pro. Your pretty much cheerleading for him to not be good
Don't worry, I don't come to this forum to validate my overall football knowledge. I know I know what I am talking about and that keeps me well hydrated.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
you just ignored my entire post. This isn’t a football conversation. He has no interest in a football conversation about if he can be good or not his mind is made up. Given this thread and his biggest loser in camp thread.

it has been pointed out by a few guys that this kid had literally played 1 season and it was the most unusual season in NFL history, but again you’ve ignored that.

like I said I don’t care that he had his mind made it it makes for fun on this board and if it was all black and white that would be boring. You’ve never been sitting around with your friends talking sports and just been like YOU’RE F’ing CRAZY!! or did you say come on guys let’s not attack each other and just stick to football.

and by the way I gotta be honest here in all my years here I have never once felt the urge to step in on behalf of another poster and try and tell people what they meant and be like hey be nice to him. I just find that odd.
Here is the difference between us in this convo. I am giving you actual facts about who Jones was as a prospect and who coaches are preferring to start over him at this point. I am bringing up relevant recent history with how Jones situation is similar to other players who are no longer with the team. You are making excuses and citing the "you don't really know" argument as a counter.

So, in summary, I am providing facts and similar historical situations and you are basically rebutting with "nuh uh".

That said, I am more than willing to hear some actual reasons people think that Jones is not going to be the next Mason Cole or Lamont Gaillard or Chad Williams or Evan Weaver.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here is the difference between us in this convo. I am giving you actual facts about who Jones was as a prospect and who coaches are preferring to start over him at this point. I am bringing up relevant recent history with how Jones situation is similar to other players who are no longer with the team. You are making excuses and citing the "you don't really know" argument as a counter.

So, in summary, I am providing facts and similar historical situations and you are basically rebutting with "nuh uh".

That said, I am more than willing to hear some actual reasons people think that Jones is not going to be the next Mason Cole or Lamont Gaillard or Chad Williams or Evan Weaver.

you haven’t provided any facts just opinions and speculation.

facts are he played x amount of snaps and this was the outcome on this and that.

given your biggest loser thread and the fact you dug this up to throw your hands in the air and jump up and down screaming look at me I’m right let’s me know you have an agenda.

as I and others have pointed out. The kid hasn’t even started his second year in the NFL yet. Coming off the wildest NFL season ever and switching positions from college is not easy and it’s only right to see what this turns into. I mean that’s how I see it.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

PFF Josh Jones draft profile #16 overall but what do those guys know with all those facts and numbers.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

facts are he played x amount of snaps and this was the outcome on this and that.

given your biggest loser thread and the fact you dug this up to throw your hands in the air and jump up and down screaming look at me I’m right let’s me know you have an agenda.

as I and others have pointed out. The kid hasn’t even started his second year in the NFL yet. Coming off the wildest NFL season ever and switching positions from college is not easy and it’s only right to see what this turns into. I mean that’s how I see it.

PFF Josh Jones draft profile #16 overall but what do those guys know with all those facts and numbers.
Obviously those guys know less than people in the NFL who also shared my speculation of Joshua Jones as a prospect. PFF is a great tool to use but they are trying to be the smartest guy in the room ala Steve Keim and their rankings of Joshua Jones and Andy Isabella reflect that.

And as for facts.
Fact 1, Joshua Jones testing measurables were below average for players at his position. So he is a below average athlete compared to his peers.

Fact 2, Joshua Jones was a not a good enough prospect to warrant coming out for the 2019 NFL draft as a senior, and had to return for his red-shirt senior season. So, the only time Jones was a draftable player was when he was older and more mature than his competition.

Fact 3, after and entire season the coaches thought JOshua Jones best chance to crack into the starting lineup was to compete at RG instead of RT where 32 year old Kelvin Beachum held such an edge the staff signed him to a two year extension.

Fact 4, after taking every starting RG snap in preseason, coaches chose to go with journeyman Justin Murray as the starting RG, keep journeyman Brian Winters as the backup taking up a roster spot, and move Joshua Jones back to RT to backup Beachum.

So, to date, all evidence shows that Joshua Jones is not close to a starting quality NFL OL as he has failed to beat out veteran street FAs Kelvin Beachum and Justin Murray for a starting role. Beachum is average and Murray is below average.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Obviously those guys know less than people in the NFL who also shared my speculation of Joshua Jones as a prospect. PFF is a great tool to use but they are trying to be the smartest guy in the room ala Steve Keim and their rankings of Joshua Jones and Andy Isabella reflect that.

And as for facts.
Fact 1, Joshua Jones testing measurables were below average for players at his position. So he is a below average athlete compared to his peers.

Fact 2, Joshua Jones was a not a good enough prospect to warrant coming out for the 2019 NFL draft as a senior, and had to return for his red-shirt senior season. So, the only time Jones was a draftable player was when he was older and more mature than his competition.

Fact 3, after and entire season the coaches thought JOshua Jones best chance to crack into the starting lineup was to compete at RG instead of RT where 32 year old Kelvin Beachum held such an edge the staff signed him to a two year extension.

Fact 4, after taking every starting RG snap in preseason, coaches chose to go with journeyman Justin Murray as the starting RG, keep journeyman Brian Winters as the backup taking up a roster spot, and move Joshua Jones back to RT to backup Beachum.

So, to date, all evidence shows that Joshua Jones is not close to a starting quality NFL OL as he has failed to beat out veteran street FAs Kelvin Beachum and Justin Murray for a starting role. Beachum is average and Murray is below average.

soooo your saying you have the draft figured out?

I mean I sure as hell don’t. Yeah every GM in the NFL misses on players every year only guys on message boards never miss

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
soooo your saying you have the draft figured out?

I mean I sure as hell don’t. Yeah every GM in the NFL misses on players every year only guys on message boards never miss
Nice dodge of the actual convo but I will bite here as well.

You cited PFF as an indicator that Joshua Jones was something special. I rebutted stating that some people (me) and the NFL disagreed with PFF as felt Jones was a more average NFL draft prospect. I don't understand how you equate that to "having the draft figured out" but here we are.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nice dodge of the actual convo but I will bite here as well.

You cited PFF as an indicator that Joshua Jones was something special. I rebutted stating that some people (me) and the NFL disagreed with PFF as felt Jones was a more average NFL draft prospect. I don't understand how you equate that to "having the draft figured out" but here we are.

I don’t really understand. Are you saying players drafted in the 3rd round are average prospects and shouldn’t be expected to be good?

me personally I don’t know how Jones is going to turn out considering he hadn’t even started his second NFL season yet.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

And as for facts.

It seems like the Cardinals might really favor veterans over youth on the OL. LOL that's all I got. Thats the only reasoning I can think of based on how this situation has played out.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
by the way Kevin Minter was a serviceable player who 8 years later is still collecting NFL pay checks and that’s more than a lot of guys could say

guys who are not good and don’t offer anything usually don’t last 8 years in the nfl
I think we define “good” differently.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Considering that was before an actual season and now training camp and preseason, what they DON’T know is that he hasn’t been able to crack the starting lineup despite have below average competition at guard.

Reaction score
Here's what the NFL had him listed as pre-draft.

Overview
Early tape would suggest that Jones is a raw, developmental project in need of substantial technique work, but tape study later in the season suggests a level of improvement that creates additional intrigue for the long, athletic left tackle prospect. To be clear, he needs plenty of work with his pass sets and footwork, but most of his issues appear to be coachable. He's a good fit for a move-oriented rushing attack and has the traits and talent to become a future starter if he continues to develop with coaching.

Strengths
  • Long frame has room for additional mass
  • Plus athlete with great bend throughout lower half
  • Able to get to difficult reach blocks on play-side and back-side
  • Quick out of stance and on the track when asked to pull
  • Easy climbs to second-level linebacker
  • Showed rapid improvement inside the season
  • Hand placement not perfect, but getting better
  • Has lateral-slide smoothness to handle mirroring duties
  • Many of his current issues are coachable and should improve
  • Hints at a potentially nasty field demeanor

Reaction score
Good article on the offensive line.

But it’s a group effort. It will take all five starters – and probably a couple of the backups – to keep the Cardinals’ offensive line a strength and not a weakness. In that regard, Humphries likes to call Pugh “the glue guy,” saying Pugh’s presence, professionalism and positivity is where it all starts.

“I thought I gave a lot of juice to the room and I think I still do,” Humphries said, “but Justin is definitely the kick-start for sure.”

Humphries calls Justin Murray the team’s “Swiss Army Knife” because of his versatility playing anywhere and having proven it, moving from tackle to both guard spots and never seemingly missing a beat. He also singled out Jones, the former third-round pick out of Houston, for being such an enthusiastic and eager young learner to familiarize himself at the guard position after being drafted as a tackle.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Good article on the offensive line.

But it’s a group effort. It will take all five starters – and probably a couple of the backups – to keep the Cardinals’ offensive line a strength and not a weakness. In that regard, Humphries likes to call Pugh “the glue guy,” saying Pugh’s presence, professionalism and positivity is where it all starts.

“I thought I gave a lot of juice to the room and I think I still do,” Humphries said, “but Justin is definitely the kick-start for sure.”

Humphries calls Justin Murray the team’s “Swiss Army Knife” because of his versatility playing anywhere and having proven it, moving from tackle to both guard spots and never seemingly missing a beat. He also singled out Jones, the former third-round pick out of Houston, for being such an enthusiastic and eager young learner to familiarize himself at the guard position after being drafted as a tackle.

It's also nice to have Justin Murray as a back up. He has started at RG and RT and has played well for stretches. He hasn't played consistently enough to be a starter, but that's generally what back up OL are.

Garcia can play center and guard as well. I think if Humphries gets hurt, you'd probably move Beachum to LT and put in Justin Murray at RT. There are decent options on the OL that are season ending if someone gets hurt.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't know but after reading all the stuff that Hump said about him working at guard it does have a nice ending.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson