2020 3rd round pick is Josh Jones T

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jones did perform best in drills when he was inside at OG. He did not look as good one on one on the outside. In fairness, his skill set is not built for one on one drills. He is not great at anything at this point in time. Again, think Bobby Massie.

Ok we get it you don’t like him lol

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Watching him he looks exactly like Humphries. Not great but should be starter quality
He could only dream of having humps feet. Hump has some of the best feet I have ever seen. He just to get the injury bug behind him and out of his mind and he'll be fine. Everyone knew he was young and needed time to develop. I think he has gotten better every year and still hasn't reached his ceiling.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He could only dream of having humps feet. Hump has some of the best feet I have ever seen. He just to get the injury bug behind him and out of his mind and he'll be fine. Everyone knew he was young and needed time to develop. I think he has gotten better every year and still hasn't reached his ceiling.

Jones seems to have very good feet too

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Jones seems to have very good feet too
Hey I like the kid called the pick early. I'm am just trying to say why I think he fell. He can be beet outside and I think that is because his sidestep out isn't fluid. It can be taught and get better and of course he will with NFL coaching. Need to work on his hand placement too IMO. Of course I'm no expert. Just what my eyes tell me. I try not to read too much about a prospect. I like to watch tapes and read up and see if my opinion matches.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At the Sr Bowl they say that he excelled at both tackle positions and at guard. He will probably end up starting somewhere this year filling in for an injured player.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
At the Sr Bowl they say that he excelled at both tackle positions and at guard. He will probably end up starting somewhere this year filling in for an injured player.

Exactly. I love the next man up mentality. Every man on that O-line better stay healthy or be replaced

Johninromania

Veteran
Reaction score
I just want solid on the OLine, it looks like he can fit the bill. Not flashy, but consistent and dependable. You can hope and shoot for the stars. But if you have a OLine full of these types you already won.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'll be honest. As I was watching I completely forgot he was still available. I assumed he'd gone already.

I can't believe Austin Jackson went 18 and Jones went 72. There wasn't anybody had Jackson over Jones. Jones has had dumps more talented than Jackson.

(Miami's draft overall has been poor outside Tua)

Bargain in the 3rd.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Comp on NFL.com is Bobbie Massie and I think it is pretty accurate.

If his comp is Massie, then it may explain why he fell to the third round. You do have to question why he fell if consensus was rounds 1-2 for Jones. Eight other tackles went before him.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
The only logical explanation that he fell (outside of something bad that we don't know)...teams see him as a guard. There is no way he gets drafted behind Austin Jackson (and round 3) if teams seriously consider him to be an OT IMO. He has shorter arms and bottom three for wingspan (grouped with Jon Runyan and Jake Driscoll).

We need guards, so I won't complain about that at all.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The only logical explanation that he fell (outside of something bad that we don't know)...teams see him as a guard. There is no way he gets drafted behind Austin Jackson (and round 3) if teams seriously consider him to be an OT IMO. He has shorter arms and bottom three for wingspan (grouped with Jon Runyan and Jake Driscoll).

We need guards, so I won't complain about that at all.

34inches(33 7/8) is considered short arms?

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Comp on NFL.com is Bobbie Massie and I think it is pretty accurate.
That would be fantastic.

Massie has been a solid NFL tackle for a long time.

Even when these young men are monstrous, they still are young. I tell people all the time, you do not stop growing till you are 27.

He can get bigger and stronger no doubt.

Another great pick in this draft.

It finally feels like the Cardinals are just taking what they are given.

Those were two very easy picks to make, but FAR too many times in the past the Cardinals pass up on this type of opportunity.

.....I think I will stop doing draft stuff and keep this luck going. Cause I haven't done ANY research and know how good these two picks are.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
#14 overall prospect on PFF big boar
#17 overall prospect on CBSsports

how is that possible?

somebody else said it right, if cards had second rounder they may have taken him anyways...

something wrong here
This is EXACTLY what happened to Bobby Massie when he was drafted.

He dropped significantly in the draft because "he was just a right tackle". I understand that the right tackle position is seen as a lesser position.

BUT WHEN YOU NEED A RIGHT TACKLE THEN YOU DRAFT ONE!!!!!

It boggles my mind how the teams in the NFL over think this stuff.

When we drafted Massie in the 4th, I was very happy, and Massie went on to have a good career as a right tackle. A lot of teams would have liked Massie on thier team in hindsight.

So Jones is a well rated right tackle prospect, and we got him in the 3rd, when he could have easily have gone in the 2nd.

If history repeats itself and Jones is "a round better" than Massie? We will be extremely happy with tjis pick when sll is said and done.

This is the anti-Keim pick. The Cardinals seem to always over think rhe draft, and this pick they let the rest of the league overvthink, and took the easy, and obvious pick.

So while it seems easy and obvious....that is not what always happens.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
part of his fall could be explained by the fact that with 7 tackles already taken -- thats 7 teams taken out of consideration to draft him

i dont think it takes much for a team to like one player over another -- Ruggs taken ahead of Lamb for example

maybe the Dolphins, Titans and Broncos were scared by a offensive lineman from an air raid system

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Pretty Crazy..multiple mock drafts had us taking him in the 1st with a trade down and one had us take him at 8! Lol Pretty Crazy!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...o-in-first-round/ar-BB13aMkl?ocid=hplocalnews

The Arizona Republic: Josh Jones picked by Miami Dolphins at No. 18
Bob McManaman wrote: "Miami has three picks in the first round and could very well likely trade at least one of them to get creative on Day 1, but assuming they already collected a quarterback early on, Jones would make for a fantastic selection at this point in the draft. Take note that two stud linebackers remain on the board in Kenneth Murray and Patrick Queen."

Mlive.com: Josh Jones selected by Arizona Cardinals at No. 8
Ben Raven wrote: "I feel alone in this projection, but I’m sticking with Jones to Arizona once again. He was a four-year starter in a pass-heavy offense while rating as PFF’s highest-graded non-major conference tackle of all time."

USA TODAY Sports: Josh Jones taken by Seattle Seahawks at No. 27
Michael Middlehurst-Schwartz wrote: "Seattle seems like a leading candidate to trade back, but GM John Schneider and coach Pete Carroll might be intrigued by Jones, an ascendant protector. "

Walter Football: Josh Jones picked by Miami Dolphins at No. 26
It wrote: "No one should be surprised if the Dolphins spend two of their three first-round picks on offensive linemen. They have the worst blocking unit in the NFL, and they need upgrades at every position, including both tackle spots. Josh Jones needs to get stronger for the NFL, but his length and athleticism will interest some teams."

Bleacher Report: Jones Jones selected by Jacksonville Jaguars at No. 20
Matt Miller wrote: "The Jacksonville Jaguars could go so many directions at No. 20 overall after selecting cornerback CJ Henderson at No. 9—a trade-down could even be in consideration. But if they stay at No. 20, left tackle looks juicy for general manager Dave Caldwell. Drafting Josh Jones would give the Jaguars flexibility. He could be a potential long-term answer at left tackle, but he might not automatically be the Week 1 starter there. Like the Philadelphia Eagles did with first-round pick Andre Dillard last year, it would behoove Jones to sit and learn while continuing to develop for a season. With Cam Robinson serviceable at the left side for now, Jones' ability to redshirt and develop would give Jacksonville an intriguing 2021 bookend tackle

NBC Sports: Josh Jones taken by Los Angeles Chargers at No. 31
Dalton Johnson wrote: "Time to protect Tua. The Chargers signed Bryan Bulaga in the offseason, and Jones has experience on both sides of the line.The 49ers also get into the second and fourth round of the draft after originally not being slated to select again until Round 5."

NFL.com: Josh Jones selected by Tampa Bay Buccaneers at No. 14
Peter Schrager wrote: "The Bucs get another big body to help protect Tom Brady."