2020-21 Around the NBA Thread

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The United States will play Spain in the Olympics on Tuesday.

By AP via ESPN:

The three-time reigning Olympic champion Americans will play reigning World Cup champion Spain in the quarterfinals of the men's tournament at the Tokyo Games on Tuesday, a matchup of teams that finished second in their respective groups at the Olympics.

Spain fell outside of the seeded pool and knew it was subject to a potential matchup with the U.S. by losing the group-play finale to Slovenia on Sunday. And about an hour later, when FIBA held the Olympic draw, the matchup was set.

so, this game is 9:40 pm Arizona time tonight?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so, this game is 9:40 pm Arizona time tonight?

I don't think so. The games are usually played in the early morning or at least that's when I get the scores. It's best to check it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome game by Devin Booker 7-10 from the field (3-5 from three) for 20 points. I understand Devin was instrumental in third quarter run by the United States.

Future Sun JaVale McGee also contributed 4 points going 2-2 from the field.

Reading the ESPN article it seemed like Booker was almost an afterthought as Durant and Holiday get most of the credit.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
France beats Slovenia 90-89 so the United States will play France in the Gold Medal game.

The game will be played on Saturday.

Here is the box score:

Last edited:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome game by Devin Booker 7-10 from the field (3-5 from three) for 20 points. I understand Devin was instrumental in third quarter run by the United States.

Future Sun JaVale McGee also contributed 4 points going 2-2 from the field.

Reading the ESPN article it seemed like Booker was almost an afterthought as Durant and Holiday get most of the credit.

Once again book doesn’t get any credit. They barely mention him in the article barely noting that he keyed the third-quarter run that put the game away

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once again book doesn’t get any credit. They barely mention him in the article barely noting that he keyed the third-quarter run that put the game away

Yeah, almost have to use the control+find function on keyboard to find his name.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
France beats Slovenia 90-89 so the United States will play France in the Gold Medal game.

The game will be played on Saturday.

Here is the box score:

That was Luka's first international loss of his career, and he only went 5-18. Not what you want from the "best player in the world."

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns might want to use Olympic video on how to slow down some of these foreign stars.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
What I am seeing in the US Olympic games so far, is Booker is really playing defense first. Booker is trying to be defensive dominant. My theory, Booker had to face tough defenders in LAC and the Bucks. I think he is seeing he has to raise his defensive game to match his offense to take the Suns to the next level. It really looks like he is trying to be a dominant two way player. Booker's ball distribution looks like it has gone up a notch too! Hard to believe, but it looks like scoring is his third option now.

McGee they barely let into the games. Javale's mother got a gold so it's cool he is trying for one. This last game, Javale comes in, blocks a shot, then thunder dunk on offense. Plays defense, then goes down the floor for another thunder dunk. It was an action packed minute or two minutes for Javale! :thumbup:

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Team USA wins the gold. I didn't watch, but not a good stat line for Book. Dude needs to rest up a bit in my view. Javale DNP.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I am seeing in the US Olympic games so far, is Booker is really playing defense first. Booker is trying to be defensive dominant. My theory, Booker had to face tough defenders in LAC and the Bucks. I think he is seeing he has to raise his defensive game to match his offense to take the Suns to the next level. It really looks like he is trying to be a dominant two way player. Booker's ball distribution looks like it has gone up a notch too! Hard to believe, but it looks like scoring is his third option now.

McGee they barely let into the games. Javale's mother got a gold so it's cool he is trying for one. This last game, Javale comes in, blocks a shot, then thunder dunk on offense. Plays defense, then goes down the floor for another thunder dunk. It was an action packed minute or two minutes for Javale! :thumbup:

I was able to watch the Gold Medal game. Booker played excellent in your face defense but in the Olympic game they call some ticky tack fouls. That said, I thought the officiating was excellent.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was able to watch the Gold Medal game. Booker played excellent in your face defense but in the Olympic game they call some ticky tack fouls. That said, I thought the officiating was excellent.

I don't think he's at all concerned with fouling out either. I wouldn't be surprised if Pop told everyone to use up their fouls because he has a ridiculously deep bench.

Durant is probably the only player they've really depended on as their primary scorer, which makes sense considering he's quite possibly the best scorer in the world right now. They have plenty of other options other than KD as well bu

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think he's at all concerned with fouling out either. I wouldn't be surprised if Pop told everyone to use up their fouls because he has a ridiculously deep bench.

Durant is probably the only player they've really depended on as their primary scorer, which makes sense considering he's quite possibly the best scorer in the world right now. They have plenty of other options other than KD as well bu

With only five personal fouls allowed a player can't foul too much but I thought some of the fouls called on Booker were really close while he got manhandled a couple of times with no calls. Some things never change. On one occasion Gobert got his big arms around him and they called the foul on Booker.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With only five personal fouls allowed a player can't foul too much but I thought some of the fouls called on Booker were really close while he got manhandled a couple of times with no calls. Some things never change. On one occasion Gobert got his big arms around him and they called the foul on Booker.

Americans are officiated differently than international players. Most Americans don't have experience playing under international rules as well, which is often used to explain poor officiating but I see that as an excuse used to judge them differently. I'm not sure where the refs come from but it wouldn't surprise me to learn they respect the other nationalities more because they are more experienced.

Regardless of that, losing someone to fouls isn't as crucial as it can be in the NBA because Booker is a star for the Suns but realistically he's like 6-10th best player on that USA team. Losing him is like the Suns losing Bridges or Cam Johnson to fouls, it sucks but it shouldn't cost you anything. I'm sure that's a little freeing for guys like Booker so they're more inclined to go all knowing the game doesn't hinge on their availability.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Americans are officiated differently than international players. Most Americans don't have experience playing under international rules as well, which is often used to explain poor officiating but I see that as an excuse used to judge them differently. I'm not sure where the refs come from but it wouldn't surprise me to learn they respect the other nationalities more because they are more experienced.

Regardless of that, losing someone to fouls isn't as crucial as it can be in the NBA because Booker is a star for the Suns but realistically he's like 6-10th best player on that USA team. Losing him is like the Suns losing Bridges or Cam Johnson to fouls, it sucks but it shouldn't cost you anything. I'm sure that's a little freeing for guys like Booker so they're more inclined to go all knowing the game doesn't hinge on their availability.

One of the announcers for the gold medal game kept saying the USA players need to show their hands. I suspect if international referees don't see the hands they are more likely to call fouls. IMO, they were not biased but it's officiated much differently than in the NBA. Having a deep bench of some of the best players in the world certainly helped the United States.

Next time around I think the United States could use more pure shooters, add height and practice switching to a zone defense as a change up defense.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I like their rule regarding not in the spirit of the game, like fouling to stop a fast break, etc., seems like we could use that!

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Wow, thx. Booker didn't have a very good game stat wise. Actually kinda sucked (just from the stats - I did not see the game).

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, thx. Booker didn't have a very good game stat wise. Actually kinda sucked (just from the stats - I did not see the game).

Devin did play some really good defense against France.

Against Australia he shot 7-10 from the field for 20 points.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose