2020-21 Around the NBA Thread

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't celebrate an easy path to a title while Paul is still in Covid protocols. Im glad the Nets won't be waiting for us but we still have a pretty big task ahead of us in the Clippers. Got to get there first. We've had way too many instances of "If only we had made it to the finals" in our history that adding another seems more likely than overcoming it. We haven't even played game 1 of the WCF yet. We still need 4 more wins to get there.

Its good to see a super team lose, regardless of how it impacts us though.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I wish I were a Hawks fan, I'd jump on those odds. I'm not saying they'll get past Philadelphia but it wouldn't surprise me. And it wouldn't shock me if they came out of the East and upset us or the Clippers. I really don't understand why any of the remaining teams would be strong favorites or huge underdogs. Thanks to injuries (and Covid) this championship is wide open IMO.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish I were a Hawks fan, I'd jump on those odds. I'm not saying they'll get past Philadelphia but it wouldn't surprise me. And it wouldn't shock me if they came out of the East and upset us or the Clippers. I really don't understand why any of the remaining teams would be strong favorites or huge underdogs. Thanks to injuries (and Covid) this championship is wide open IMO.

I'm not a Hawks fan but might throw down $20 on those odds. Not enough to miss but enough to make me really happy if they can pull it out. Would add some interest to the ECF also.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

same. This whole thing is anyone’s ballgame!

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do you need to be a Hawks fan to bet on them?

Most people aren't big gamblers. Its easier to bet on teams you root for since you already have an interest in that team winning. If you have no interest in that team and don't gamble much, why bother?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most people aren't big gamblers. Its easier to bet on teams you root for since you already have an interest in that team winning. If you have no interest in that team and don't gamble much, why bother?

The only reason to ever gamble... to win money. None of my friends who gamble here and there bet on their own teams because they know they can’t be objective and if they lose, it’s a double whammy. I’ve done some gambling on games before, and the only time I ever bet on a game involving one of my teams, I bet AGAINST them because I objectively knew how awful they were. Down to my last unemployment check in 2003c, I Made a grand in back to back weeks betting against the Cardinals who were 15 point road dogs both weeks. They lost 50-14 and the spread was covered by the end of the first quarter the first week. Then Did it two weeks later against Seattle and again, even though the Cards were 15 point dogs, I covered by the first quarter again En route to a 28-10 win.

betting on your team to win is just begging for trouble.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only reason to ever gamble... to win money. None of my friends who gamble here and there bet on their own teams because they know they can’t be objective and if they lose, it’s a double whammy. I’ve done some gambling on games before, and the only time I ever bet on a game involving one of my teams, I bet AGAINST them because I objectively knew how awful they were. Down to my last unemployment check in 2003c, I Made a grand in back to back weeks betting against the Cardinals who were 15 point road dogs both weeks. They lost 50-14 and the spread was covered by the end of the first quarter the first week. Then Did it two weeks later against Seattle and again, even though the Cards were 15 point dogs, I covered by the first quarter again En route to a 28-10 win.

I never bet on teams. It never turns out well for me. I do gamble on occasion. I made about 12k last year but it was playing other games.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
really? None of my friends who gamble here and there bet on their own teams because they know they can’t be objective and if they lose, it’s a double whammy. I’ve done some gambling on games before, and the only time I ever bet on a game involving one of my teams, I bet AGAINST them because I objectively knew how awful they were. Made a grand in back to back weeks back in the 2003 Cardinals season betting against the Cardinals who were 15 point road dogs. They list 50-14 and I covered by the end of the first quarter. Did it two weeks later against Seattle and again, even though the Cards were 15 point dogs, I covered by the first quarter again En route to a 28-10 win.

Ive only bet on my team in championship games and to start the season, when Championship odds are revealed. I don't trust my judgement week to week.

I wasn't trying to explain why regular or semi-regular gamblers would bet on the Hawks, that wasn't the question.

I was just saying why someone who isn't much of a gambler might bet on a team. In that case its generally because its their team they're betting on, kind of like Steve said. Why else would you go out of your way to gamble at all? Its not something you do often and there are always long shots so that isn't a reason to do it either.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive only bet on my team in championship games and to start the season, when Championship odds are revealed. I don't trust my judgement week to week.

I wasn't trying to explain why regular or semi-regular gamblers would bet on the Hawks, that wasn't the question.

I was just saying why someone who isn't much of a gambler might bet on a team. In that case its generally because its their team they're getting on, kind of like Steve said. Why else would you go out of your way to gamble at all? Its not something you do often and there are always long shots so that isn't a reason to do it either.

I just think you’re painting with a bit of a broad brush.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do you need to be a Hawks fan to bet on them?

When I was younger I spent a lot of time in Vegas sports books and was very a active bettor but after awhile I found it more stressful than entertaining so I stopped all gambling (except for poker).

Now, if I make a bet it won't be with an eye towards winning money, it will be solely for entertainment purposes. So, if I were in Vegas now I'd probably put 50 down on the Suns. I care far more about the Suns winning than I do about the 50 dollars so there's no added stress. And if I were a Hawks fan in Vegas, I'd be doing the same - especially with those odds.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, then answer WAM question, why do you need to be a Hawks fan to bet on them, like Steve said?

im confused. I don’t think you need to be a Hawks fan to bet on them. In a wide open race, they’re tied for the healthiest team, the Bucks just aren’t impressive, they’ve been really good since McMillan took over and considering the return on the bet as underdogs, I think they’re a great value bet.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im confused. I don’t think you need to be a Hawks fan to bet on them. In a wide open race, they’re tied for the healthiest team, the Bucks just aren’t impressive, they’ve been really good since McMillan took over and considering the return on the bet as underdogs, I think they’re a great value bet.

I have no intention of betting on them but I agree, they are a great value bet. If I were still an active bettor, that's where my money would be going. I'm sure you understand that doesn't mean I believe they will win it, just that they're chances of winning it exceed their odds exceed their odds by a considerable margin. But if I made that bet it would be solely for the money which doesn't interest me anymore.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You are only viewing things from your own point of view rather than viewing it from a broader perspective. That's fine. I was trying to answer his question but clearly it only raised more questions from you.

I gamble more than your average fan and don't need an excuse to throw down a bet, so answering his question from my own perspective would only provide an answer along the lines of what I already said, it'll add intrigue and I won't miss it if I lose it because I wouldn't bet much. However if I didn't gamble much at all, I wouldn't bet on them just because its a solid value bet. There are value bets all the time, what is different about this one? If I was a fan though, seeing those odds might inspire me to bet on them, like Steve implied.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no intention of betting on them but I agree, they are a great value bet. If I were still an active bettor, that's where my money would be going. I'm sure you understand that doesn't mean I believe they will win it, just that they're chances of winning it exceed their odds exceed their odds by a considerable margin. But if I made that bet it would be solely for the money which doesn't interest me anymore.

yeah. With you 100 here.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I can't celebrate an easy path to a title while Paul is still in Covid protocols. Im glad the Nets won't be waiting for us but we still have a pretty big task ahead of us in the Clippers. Got to get there first. We've had way too many instances of "If only we had made it to the finals" in our history that adding another seems more likely than overcoming it. We haven't even played game 1 of the WCF yet. We still need 4 more wins to get there.

Its good to see a super team lose, regardless of how it impacts us though.
People here and around the NBA have slept on the Suns through 2 rounds and look where we are.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That's not going to stick, especially if we win game 1.

I agree that the odds will change AFTER another game is played.

You stated we would be “undisputed favorites” IF MILWAUKEE WON. That happened and uh you’re wrong.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People here and around the NBA have slept on the Suns through 2 rounds and look where we are.

We're sitting here the night before the WCF start. That's not the NBA finals and I'm not going to celebrate who we might see in the finals at this point. Not a single second of either conferences finals has been played yet.

I believe the Suns can get to the finals but they need to stay focused on the team in front of them, not looking down the road The Suns are here because they haven't looked past their opponents. Taking it one game at a time. I'm doing the same. I'm not going to start salivating over a potential finals matchup before we even play a game in the WCF.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what do those numbers mean? The higher the number means the less chance you have at winning the championship? Sorry I am not a gambler.

You're right on the higher number meaning its less likely. As for the others, if you were to bet $100 dollars on the Bucks winning the title then you'd win $160 if they won, $100 on the Suns would give you $275, and so on.

So you stand to win more if you bet on the Hawks but they're viewed as the least likely to win, so you could win big but its a longshot.

The numbers signify odds but its not easy as easy saying 2 to 1 odds because the odds are a bit more precise than that. However if its listed as a positive then it breaks down like above, betting $100 will win you the amount shown.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This is weird to me. The Suns were the favorites before the Bucks Nets game, so why does the winner of the Bucks Nets game then vault them ahead as favorites? Or is this because it was announced Paul was definitely missing game 1?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is weird to me. The Suns were the favorites before the Bucks Nets game, so why does the winner of the Bucks Nets game then vault them ahead as favorites? Or is this because it was announced Paul was definitely missing game 1?

Because they don't analyze it solely as which is the best team. Odds are set to get as much money as possible bet.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA