2020-21 Around the NBA Thread

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We were just kicking around the idea of what would it take to trade for Tyler Herro. I asked if a draft day trade of Jalen Smith and the Suns number 1 would do it.

I don’t think they’re looking to just give him away for what’s in essence gong to be a high second round pick and a human victory cigar.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think they’re looking to just give him away for what’s in essence gong to be a high second round pick and a human victory cigar.

It's only a topic for discussion. What do you think it would take to trade for Tyler Herro? Rumor is the Heat want to trade him.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's only a topic for discussion. What do you think it would take to trade for Tyler Herro? Rumor is the Heat want to trade up.

I’m just saying that deal likely doesn’t cut it. I’m guessing he’s used as a piece of a larger trade puzzle to either get a star to go with Bam and Jimmy or used to trade up as you mentioned.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m just saying that deal likely doesn’t cut it. I’m guessing he’s used as a piece of a larger trade puzzle to either get a star to go with Bam and Jimmy or used to trade up as you mentioned.

Yeah. I don't think the Suns have the goods unless the Heat were ready to contend and wanted Crowder back. Then the salaries wouldn't work.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Tim MacMahon
@espn_macmahon

Source: Mavs vice president of basketball operations Michael Finley is expected to remain with the franchise. I am not clear yet on whether Finley will be promoted or remain in his role. Mark Cuban is also close to adding a new executive to the Dallas front office.
The mavs hired Nico Harrison to team with Michael Finely for their lead front office positions. Harrison has been a Nike Executive and knows a lot of NBA players and their agents. I don't think Dirk will take a formal position that will keep him working a lot of hours away from his family. it is likely Dirk just staying involved for positive morale and another person that Cuban can turn to for advice. Dirk undoubtably would have endorsed Kidd and probably was the first name that was mentioned.

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Reaction score

Tim MacMahon
@espn_macmahon

The Mavericks are progressing in talks to make Jason Kidd the franchise’s new head coach, sources told@ wojespn and me. Mavericks owner Mark Cuban is also close to hiring a new head of basketball operations, who has signed off on the Kidd candidacy
It is interesting that Rick Carlisle all but broke the Jason Kidd news himself by contacting Tim Macmahon and releasing a statement endorsing Kidd rather than endorsing his top assistant who could have possibly been considered by Dallas. To my knowledge this statement from Carlisle transpired before the Mavericks made it public that they were negotiating with Kidd. Apparently Kidd has been wanting to return to Dallas since he retired. He mended his relationship with Cuban and even reached out to Carlisle, but Carlisle was not interested in having Kidd on his staff. Carlisle did allow Kidd to visit and spend time with the mavericks as a visitor, where at that time Kidd who has personal relationships with Dallas media members, made it known that he desired to return to Dallas one day, but that was shrugged off at the time. I think Carlisle is insecure by the Kidd hire, and probably has doubts about the Kidd/Luka relationship due to both of them having a desire for control. Interestingly it is reported that Carlisle and Kidd butted heads a lot while Kidd was the point guard, and in 2011 Carlisle finally let Kidd have a lot of on court freedom to control the offense. Shawn Marion recently brought this up in an interview. He referred to Kidd as a luxury of having a coach on the court for their 2011 title team. Now that could have been nothing, but not once did Marion mention Carlisle during the interview. Marion did mention many others aside from Dirk who were vital to winning.

This highlights several things for me. One, Rick Carlisle is not putting up with Cuban, Doncic, hollolobob or others ordering him what to do on the court. He probably had a working relationship with Cuban, Doncic, and other front office members/analysts and took their advice, but Carlisle was the one making final decisions on the court. For me Cuban is taking a lot of heat for internal dysfunction, but I think Carlisle did not get along with Doncic and perhaps his relationship with Cuban had run its course. Carlisle saw the writing on the wall and decided to leave before he was fired and replaced by Kidd.

While Carlisle is universally respected around the NBA, and in Dallas, from the likes of Cuban and Dirk, I actually think it is Carlisle who could be the toxic member of the organization. Carlisle is known as a tactician, but he is very abrasive and has the old school mentality that does not translate well to younger players. I'm interested to see how it works in Indiana where he was already fired once before if I recall. Interestingly Reggie Miller has endorsed Carlisle and has taken a shot at the Pacers current players. Sort of like the new school vs. Old School mentality.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It is interesting that Rick Carlisle all but broke the Jason Kidd news himself by contacting Tim Macmahon and releasing a statement endorsing Kidd rather than endorsing his top assistant who could have possibly been considered by Dallas. To my knowledge this statement from Carlisle transpired before the Mavericks made it public that they were negotiating with Kidd. Apparently Kidd has been wanting to return to Dallas since he retired. He mended his relationship with Cuban and even reached out to Carlisle, but Carlisle was not interested in having Kidd on his staff. Carlisle did allow Kidd to visit and spend time with the mavericks as a visitor, where at that time Kidd who has personal relationships with Dallas media members, made it known that he desired to return to Dallas one day, but that was shrugged off at the time. I think Carlisle is insecure by the Kidd hire, and probably has doubts about the Kidd/Luka relationship due to both of them having a desire for control. Interestingly it is reported that Carlisle and Kidd butted heads a lot while Kidd was the point guard, and in 2011 Carlisle finally let Kidd have a lot of on court freedom to control the offense. Shawn Marion recently brought this up in an interview. He referred to Kidd as a luxury of having a coach on the court for their 2011 title team. Now that could have been nothing, but not once did Marion mention Carlisle during the interview. Marion did mention many others aside from Dirk who were vital to winning.

This highlights several things for me. One, Rick Carlisle is not putting up with Cuban, Doncic, hollolobob or others ordering him what to do on the court. He probably had a working relationship with Cuban, Doncic, and other front office members/analysts and took their advice, but Carlisle was the one making final decisions on the court. For me Cuban is taking a lot of heat for internal dysfunction, but I think Carlisle did not get along with Doncic and perhaps his relationship with Cuban had run its course. Carlisle saw the writing on the wall and decided to leave before he was fired and replaced by Kidd.

While Carlisle is universally respected around the NBA, and in Dallas, from the likes of Cuban and Dirk, I actually think it is Carlisle who could be the toxic member of the organization. Carlisle is known as a tactician, but he is very abrasive and has the old school mentality that does not translate well to younger players. I'm interested to see how it works in Indiana where he was already fired once before if I recall. Interestingly Reggie Miller has endorsed Carlisle and has taken a shot at the Pacers current players. Sort of like the new school vs. Old School mentality.
No offense but this has all the trappings of the familiar fan blaming all their woes on the outgoing player/coach.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
No offense but this has all the trappings of the familiar fan blaming all their woes on the outgoing player/coach.
no offense taken, I think Carlisle deserves some blame for the past 10 years from their championship hangover, but certainly not all of the blame. it was just time for him to leave. He is a great coach. I don't understand some of his comments, but for me the mavericks are actually in a very good position now and Carlisle deserves some of that credit too. they had a strong season, no shame in losing to the clippers.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
no offense taken, I think Carlisle deserves some blame for the past 10 years from their championship hangover, but certainly not all of the blame. it was just time for him to leave. He is a great coach. I don't understand some of his comments, but for me the mavericks are actually in a very good position now and Carlisle deserves some of that credit too. they had a strong season, no shame in losing to the clippers.
Oh he definitely bears some of the blame, I mean he was the head coach for all those years. I just find it difficult to believe he would all of a sudden become “toxic.”

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Oh he definitely bears some of the blame, I mean he was the head coach for all those years. I just find it difficult to believe he would all of a sudden become “toxic.”
I think it is his attitude. he is definitely a my way or the highway type coach. and I'm ok with that personally, but I don't think the younger NBA players are receptive to that style. toxic is a strong word, but I think younger players see it that way.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It may simply be that the style doesn’t work with Luka the way it did with Dirk, who set the tone for the rest of the team all those years.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
So Kendrick Perkins is suggesting a trade of DRussell and change to Philly for Ben Simmons. That is actually a brilliant idea. Simmons moves to PF and becomes a point forward.

Rubio-PG
Edwards--SG
Simmons--PF
Towns--C

All Minny needs is a 3 and D sf. Someone like a Craig/Bridges/CJohnson.

That becomes a potent line up.

DRuss would work in Philly too.

Wait a minute, why would the Suns trade Bridges or Cam Johnson?

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

We have multiple options to make Trae's life much more difficult.

Oh yes, I hope they get Carter some playing time versus the Clippers so he is ready if we advance and play the Hawks.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Not finding much on it but there are reports that Zion's and his family have notified the Pelicans they are not happy in NO and want to be traded. They feel they've waited to see the Pelicans put the right pieces around him, aren't happy with the progress and want to move on. If true wtf, he has played EIGHTY FIVE NBA games! he plays zero defense. At his size and athletic ability to get only 7 RPG is stunningly bad. He shot under 30 from 3 in year 2 after being over 40 as a rookie, few attempts but the point is doesn't appear he worked much on his shooting.

Zion is a freak, he's a great finisher, unstoppable in the paint. He vastly improved as a passer in year 2 although I think the actual jump in his assists is almost 100% attributable to Lonzo Ball becoming a better shooter so those kickouts become makes not misses.

if he really wants out this quickly I'd be very leery about taking him in a deal because it would be a major red flag to me that a kid with such little experience, with such glaring holes in his own game, who only plays one end of the court, is already asking to be traded because he thinks the franchise hasn't done enough to help him.

Their entire problem is on defense and he's a huge part of that he can't guard. Actually his best position on defense is small ball 5, he can't guard NBA 4's and gets destroyed by NBA 3's. Statistically he got better on defense this past year but he was still awful.

My guess is if this is true it's more related to the improvements with Ingram and Ball than anything, they want Zion to be "the man" and the fact that 2 other young players made substantial improvements doesn't fit that narrative. Hope I'm wrong but this really sounds like they just don't think he gets enough exposure there so they want him on a higher profile team.

Yeah how much has he helped the team? There is no I in team.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why are the Bucks wearing blue. Who thought that was a good idea
Ugly. I think they wore those against us in our second game with them.

man... the Hawks are explosive. When we get rid of the Clippers, they could give us all we can handle in a series.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Trae Young is a problem.

I still want the Bucks, but I think defensively they could give us problems. And they have a lot of length.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trae Young is a problem.

I still want the Bucks, but I think defensively they could give us problems. And they have a lot of length.

I actually think either one will give us a really good series. Both teams will be the healthiest teams we will have faced and both are long and athletic. Will be a battle either way once we get rid of the Gnats, I mean, Clips.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I actually think either one will give us a really good series. Both teams will be the healthiest teams we will have faced and both are long and athletic. Will be a battle either way once we get rid of the Gnats, I mean, Clips.

To the Clippers credit I actually think they will be the toughest opponent we will have faced.

But yeah I think either team would present a solid challenge for the Suns.

Do you think if the Bucks pull it out they will put PJ Tucker on Booker?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard