2020-21 Around the NBA Thread

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Rick Carlisle took that Mavericks roster as far as they could go. It's a roster issue not a coaching issue.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
McCollum for Porzingis and Finney-Smith.

Portland adds defense with Finney-Smith and size and spacing with Porzingis. KP can try and resurrect his career in Portland.

Dallas gets a legit 2nd option for Luka. Dallas doesn't need to overpay to keep Tim Hardaway Jr and can keep him as a sixth man if the price is right.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
McCollum is not a second option. That is Portland's problem.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
While you’re right, due to Lukas brilliance he can have a lesser #2 than most #1s. The real issue for Dallas is they aren’t working with a lot of valuable pieces they can trade for a real #2. Porzingas may not be in full blown negative value territory, but I don’t think most of the league sees him as a great prize with his contract.

I was wrong in clamoring for him back when the mavs traded for him.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m rooting for Utah. I think we can beat either team but I think the Clippers will present us with more problems.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Since the playoffs began I've been predicting a Suns loss to the Clippers in the WCF and unfortunately I still believe that will be the case

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He's much better than anyone there now and likely the most they can acquire with what they have to offer.

Hoping someone takes Porzingis and his deal for something of value is there best chance at upgrading their roster at the moment. They'd also free up some cap space with that deal, putting them close to $22 million or so to spend this summer.

Luka will get maxed this offseason and he's getting the Derrick Rose rule max where hes eligible for 30% of the cap instead of 25 coming off his rookie deal. That will pay him over 200 million for 5 years.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Luka will get maxed this offseason and he's getting the Derrick Rose rule max where hes eligible for 30% of the cap instead of 25 coming off his rookie deal. That will pay him over 200 million for 5 years.

Speaking strictly about basketball, I'd trade Luka and everyone else with value. Doncic is too special to waste on a second tier team yet he's going to be too expensive to build a championship roster around him (almost from scratch). The Mavericks are in a tough spot with him. There's a real risk he gets frustrated and demands a trade a year or two after his super max but his international popularity makes it tough to part ways because he's such a cash cow.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While you’re right, due to Lukas brilliance he can have a lesser #2 than most #1s. The real issue for Dallas is they aren’t working with a lot of valuable pieces they can trade for a real #2. Porzingas may not be in full blown negative value territory, but I don’t think most of the league sees him as a great prize with his contract.

I was wrong in clamoring for him back when the mavs traded for him.

I thought the Mavs stole Porzingis. I was irritated no other team stepped up with a better trade offer.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Teams with point guards as their primary scoring option inevitably falter. The other guys around them become so dependent on the primary ballhandler being the focus that they often don't fully get into the offensive flow themselves in critical situations.

I think that is why most genuinely successful teams are far more likely to have a genuine facilitator playing at the one than someone like a Doncic (or Lillard or Iverson). It throws off the offensive flow of the rest of the team when they expect the PG to take every big shot.

Actually, I can't really think of a case of a championship team in NBA history that had a PG as its primary scoring threat. Maybe the Pistons with Isiah Thomas, but other than that, it is pretty rare.

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Teams with point guards as their primary scoring option inevitably falter. The other guys around them become so dependent on the primary ballhandler being the focus that they often don't fully get into the offensive flow themselves in critical situations.

I think that is why most genuinely successful teams are far more likely to have a genuine facilitator playing at the one than someone like a Doncic (or Lillard or Iverson). It throws off the offensive flow of the rest of the team when they expect the PG to take every big shot.

Actually, I can't really think of a case of a championship team in NBA history that had a PG as its primary scoring threat. Maybe the Pistons with Isiah Thomas, but other than that, it is pretty rare.

Although not technically a pg, LeBron won several championships as both the primary ball handler and primary scoring option. Luka is a remarkably close facsimile of LeBron imo. I think he'll be fine. Curry as well could be labeled as both a primary ballhandler and primary scorer, although Curry shares quite a bit of ball handling and playmaking duties, so I see him as more of a combo guard. While traditionally, the pg was usually pass first, the position is evolving into score first. I think you'll see more primary option pg's winning championships in the not so distant future.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Only my 2 cents but I think Doncic should be looked as more of an elite multi-positional player sort of like Lebron. Players like Doncic do not come around very often so in this sense he is like Lebron as well.

He is in need of a superstar player to play with him regardless of position for his team to reach the next level. A big man would probably be preferable although I'm not sure it's necessary.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Uh, curry?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Although not technically a pg, LeBron won several championships as both the primary ball handler and primary scoring option. Luka is a remarkably close facsimile of LeBron imo. I think he'll be fine. Curry as well could be labeled as both a primary ballhandler and primary scorer, although Curry shares quite a bit of ball handling and playmaking duties, so I see him as more of a combo guard. While traditionally, the pg was usually pass first, the position is evolving into score first. I think you'll see more primary option pg's winning championships in the not so distant future.
Doncic isn't going to come close to having Lebron's longevity.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Uh, curry?

Draymond handled the play making when the Warriors were on their run. He averaged more assists than Curry as a high post facilitator which freed up Curry to come off screens and be a more dangerous shooter.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Draymond handled the play making when the Warriors were on their run. He averaged more assists than Curry as a high post facilitator which freed up Curry to come off screens and be a more dangerous shooter.
But curry was still the primary ball handler. Granted they had a really free flowing offense with LOTS of ball movement. But curry absolutely was the primary ball handler. Draymond did make for a unique dynamic for the team.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Speaking strictly about basketball, I'd trade Luka and everyone else with value. Doncic is too special to waste on a second tier team yet he's going to be too expensive to build a championship roster around him (almost from scratch). The Mavericks are in a tough spot with him. There's a real risk he gets frustrated and demands a trade a year or two after his super max but his international popularity makes it tough to part ways because he's such a cash cow.

I can see your reasoning but Dallas built a contender around Dirk, although it took them long enough. Cuban is willing to spend so I don't think he'll push Luka away because he's not willing to pay for help. He's probably going to need to gamble on expiring deals and disgruntled stars in hopes they can find the right mix to surround Luka.

Cuban better hope that Dirk had a positive effect on Luka during his rookie year and will help try to keep him Dallas. It'll be interesting to see play out but I can't see them being willing to deal Luka at any s point in his next contract.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But curry was still the primary ball handler. Granted they had a really free flowing offense with LOTS of ball movement. But curry absolutely was the primary ball handler. Draymond did make for a unique dynamic for the team.

It was a unique situation there. I think Draymond's presences and role kept Curry from being the sort of PG @Raindog was referring to, the Lillard's, Kyrie's, Iverson's, Marbury's, etc. The guys who controlled the ball to a fault, almost.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can see your reasoning but Dallas built a contender around Dirk, although it took them long enough. Cuban is willing to spend so I don't think he'll push Luka away because he's not willing to pay for help. He's probably going to need to gamble on expiring deals and disgruntled stars in hopes they can find the right mix to surround Luka.

Cuban better hope that Dirk had a positive effect on Luka during his rookie year and will help try to keep him Dallas. It'll be interesting to see play out but I can't see them being willing to deal Luka at any s point in his next contract.

I agree. If need be, I think Mark Cuban pulls out all the stops to add another superstar next to Doncic. He is not going to be content until he finds the right piece.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I really see Doncic's future as a Larry Bird type versatile PF. That is really who he is most analogous to physically.

The Mavericks are doing him a disservice by making him the primary ball handler. Both he and the team would benefit greatly by bringing in a true PG and letting him play off the ball. It would be a lot less wear on him and he could still facilitate effectively as a secondary option.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

For me the big problem is that Luka will already be on a super max with maybe no other roster pieces in place. It's a lot more doable if you have some of your key role players already in place before you pay out that huge deal.

They currently owe 2 future first round picks and 3 second round picks and have no real tradable assets of value. I KNOW that Cuban would love to keep him, he's too valuable to want to move but I think they are going to be incredibly lucky if Doncic is willing to play out his next contract with so little help in sight.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really see Doncic's future as a Larry Bird type versatile PF. That is really who he is most analogous to physically.

The Mavericks are doing him a disservice by making him the primary ball handler. Both he and the team would benefit greatly by bringing in a true PG and letting him play off the ball. It would be a lot less wear on him and he could still facilitate effectively as a secondary option.

That's why the Maverick look best when Jalen Brunson is out there with Doncic. He's a real PG but not a starting caliber PG, IMO. He's a solid backup but that's probably his ceiling.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard