2019 NBA Playoff Discussion

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Toronto wins the title, and they're almost guaranteed at this point, I think they'll be the most likable champions in quite some time. Maybe since Golden State's first title win? I know some people didn't like Steph then but I didn't have an issue with him at that point. Going back further than the Warriors and you have Lebron's Miami teams, the Spurs, the Mavericks lucky season, Lakers, Celtics, and more Spurs.

They showed a map on ESPN the other day that showed which team each state is rooting for and the Raptors have the support of every state except California, Nevada, and Hawaii.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I don't think Toronto is a team with a rival that hates them. I can see Spurs fans being a little upset that Kawhi comes back and wins a title right after forcing his way out of San Antonio but there doesn't seem to be that much bad blood there.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
If Toronto wins the title, and they're almost guaranteed at this point, I think they'll be the most likable champions in quite some time. Maybe since Golden State's first title win? I know some people didn't like Steph then but I didn't have an issue with him at that point. Going back further than the Warriors and you have Lebron's Miami teams, the Spurs, the Mavericks lucky season, Lakers, Celtics, and more Spurs.

They showed a map on ESPN the other day that showed which team each state is rooting for and the Raptors have the support of every state except California, Nevada, and Hawaii.

I don't think Toronto is a team with a rival that hates them. I can see Spurs fans being a little upset that Kawhi comes back and wins a title right after forcing his way out of San Antonio but there doesn't seem to be that much bad blood there.

Missing a blue dot in south Texas.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the top of the league may even favor the East. They're weaker as far as depth goes because the 7th and 8th seeds in the East wouldn't sniff the playoffs in the West but I'd bet that Milwaukee and the Sixers would beat the Nuggets, Blazers, and maybe the Rockets. I don't think Philly could beat the Rockets but I think the Bucks could.

I think that having a couple of contenders in each conference is the most parity the league cares about. Imagine if Lebron bolted to LA instead of returning to Cleveland, the East would have sent some pretty poor teams to the finals to get crushed. That would have been more lopsided than the Lakers vs Nets finals.

I don't know about that... I think the Sixers would have struggled to even make the playoffs in the West, it would have been close. While the bottom 5 playoff qualifiers out West would have almost certainly been seeded 3rd or 4th in the East. Just look at the point differentials, the West is a grind with almost no gimme games. The Suns (sadly) are the only doormat in the entire Western conference, everyone else was bound to give a good fight, while the East had a third of the conference DOA.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I really hope they can resign Kawhi. I don't want to see how Canada would respond to him leaving. It's his team and he won't find a better spot elsewhere. It will take 2-3 years for another team to build a good supporting cast around him but Toronto has the pieces already, they may not be that good in 2-3 years because of Lowry and Gasol being older now but they got VanVleet and Siakam for a while.

I live in Raptors land, and anecdotally I think the reaction would be bittersweet but not rancorous. Everyone knew that Kawhi wanted California and Toronto was probably one of the last places he wanted to go, but he has delivered 1000%. If he leaves I think he gets standing Os during every return.

But considering the rumors about a willingness to sign a short-term deal, maybe he signs up to defend the title if they win. If they lose I think it's much more likely that he leaves, because depending on how free agency and the offseason play out, a return to the finals may be just as likely with, say, the Clippers. But then, they may be 2-3 years away as you say. I'm just getting really used to things changing quickly (except for the Suns...).

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Those eastern conference teams all proved to be really flawed. It’s clear Ben Simmons and Giannis aren’t ready for prime time, they were both exposed pretty badly. No doubt they will get there but they couldn’t have beaten the Rockets, Nuggets or Trailblazers this year I don’t think.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is going to be my favorite title run since dirk put on another one man show like this one against an all star team.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Toronto went out and got two geriatrics at the big spot in Gasol and Ibala. OK Ibaka is only 29. Still. Toronto has good guards, rolled the dice on Leonard, got two older bigs, and caught lightning in a bottle with Siakem. Plus the always crafty taking a guy in a trade that brings value as a throw in, with Green. The GM moves made for Toronto is a GM legendary year. No matter what happens.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Toronto went out and got two geriatrics at the big spot in Gasol and Ibala. OK Ibaka is only 29. Still. Toronto has good guards, rolled the dice on Leonard, got two older bigs, and caught lightning in a bottle with Siakem. Plus the always crafty taking a guy in a trade that brings value as a throw in, with Green. The GM moves made for Toronto is a GM legendary year. No matter what happens.

What's more impressive to me is that they had the best record in the east last year but took a chance and totally reshuffled the deck to have a legit chance at a title. How many other teams would have done that?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
What's more impressive to me is that they had the best record in the east last year but took a chance and totally reshuffled the deck to have a legit chance at a title. How many other teams would have done that?
That makes the GM moves even more genius! Just one of the all time best GM years. Plus, no guarntee you get more than one year out of Leonard. It's all in on this season!

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
1992 suns. Too bad Jordan didn’t miss the finals like Durant.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Perhaps the Raptors caught lightning in a bottle with their collection of players but their coaching has been extraordinary. I thought the Bucks would finish them off but they came back to win four straight.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Perhaps the Raptors caught lightning in a bottle with their collection of players but their coaching has been extraordinary. I thought the Bucks would finish them off but they came back to win four straight.
They have done it pretty much with traditional, straight forward, basketball. Traditional positional players, solid defense, diverse offense (not just cranking up threes).

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They have done it pretty much with traditional, straight forward, basketball. Traditional positional players, solid defense, diverse offense (not just cranking up threes).

As the playoffs have progressed I have become impressed with Toronto's style of play both offensively and defensively. They stick with their game plan and exploit match-ups. It gives hope for the rest of the league.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Funny how to of the best coaches ended up in the finals! :)

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

And in addition to gambling on moving DeRozan for Kawhi they also fired last year's Coach of the Year Dwane Casey and replaced him with a rookie head coach in Nick Nurse.

It's like every move the Raptors made had the potential to blow up in their face but they all worked out.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And in addition to gambling on moving DeRozan for Kawhi they also fired last year's Coach of the Year Dwane Casey and replaced him with a rookie head coach in Nick Nurse.

It's like every move the Raptors made had the potential to blow up in their face but they all worked out.

Good (and bad) fortune often plays a huge role in championships but the Raptors must have had a direct line to Lady Luck. They got lucky on some good moves but they got lucky on some very questionable moves too. And IMO they'd have regretted them for years to come if Giannis hadn't worn down or players like Embiid had been even a little bit healthy or if Durant hadn't gone down or even if the NBA had just stood by their promise to begin calling the game the same way in the postseason as they had in the regular season.

Watching the Raptors play was like watching the Spurs play when they would bully us in key moments. I fear that Toronto's success might bring a revival of physical basketball which I'm sure Jeff Van Gundy, Thibs and a lot of posters here will greatly appreciate.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Watching the Raptors play was like watching the Spurs play when they would bully us in key moments. I fear that Toronto's success might bring a revival of physical basketball which I'm sure Jeff Van Gundy, Thibs and a lot of posters here will greatly appreciate.
I grew up with seventies basketball. You had to get into 110's at least in order to be in the game at the end. Defenses weren't as speedy, but a lot of mid range, faster in the clock shots. The game seemed prettier.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Have to credit the Raptors for swinging for the fences instead of choosing for less.

Even if they should lose Kawhi, what a magnificent season they have had.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I grew up with seventies basketball. You had to get into 110's at least in order to be in the game at the end. Defenses weren't as speedy, but a lot of mid range, faster in the clock shots. The game seemed prettier.

I liked 70's basketball, most teams had a big man and maybe an "enforcer" that played very physically down low but for the most part it was a clean game elsewhere on the court. I can't remember seeing a guy drive to the hoop back then using his forearm (or some other body part) to gain an advantage like you see every time Kawhi gets the ball (or Lebron and several others).

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With regards to luck as a Warriors fan there's been luck in the last 5 playoff runs. The first one Cleveland had injuries which helped the Warriors. next one the Green suspension and Bogut out and Iggy playing hurt helped Cleveland. Next 2 years injuries helped teh Warriors and this year injuries are helping the Raptors. That's just part of the game.

I do agree with the idea the NBA is slowly allowing the game to get more physical again. Things I want cleaned up are offensive players using their off hand to create contact and get fouls, Looney not only got a broken rib(?) from Kawhi jumping into him and got the foul, in the last game he was called for fouls twice for fouling Kawhi's off hand when it was a clear out. They need to clear up the walks, Steph and Kawhi are travelling so much in this series that both coaches are standing up asking for walks. They need to clear up the faking trying to get fouls, maybe the Klay injury doing it will help. It was a good call and had no impact but the fact that the only guy I've seen in the postseason get called for a foul for creating contact was the kick by Steph shooting a 3 in this series. Again he did kick the leg but when you watched Harden and Paul, and now Kawhi constantly creating contact and getting FT's out of it the irony that they finally called it, on Curry, is funny.

I'm still holding out hope in game 5, I don't expect the Warriors have it in them they just can't guard Kawhi.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think this year we are seeing a passing of the torch for best player. Recently it was Lebron. Then Steph, Then KD. Now it's Kawhi. We thought it was going to be the Greak Freak, but he's not a full player yet. I think it's officially Kawhi. The torch has been passed! :notworthy:

Last edited:

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I thinki this year we are seeing a passing of the torch for best player. Recently it was Lebron. Then Steph, Then KD. Now it's Kawhi. We thought it was going to be the Greak Freak, but he's not a full player yet. I think it's officially Kawhi. The torch has been passed! :notworthy:

And we could have had him, but took Markeiff freaking Morris instead. :bang:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Durant will practice for the Warriors today.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard