2019 Free Agency

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got to love the clickbait pages. We should start our own:

“You won’t believe how big Oliver Miller is now”

“Robert Horry says “yeah, i’d check Nash into the scorers table if I had another chance”

“Cliff Robison admits to smoking weed during his time as an NBA player”

“Tim Duncan gets special award at the NBA honors ceremony for never committing a foul in his entire career”

And on slow days you will never be lonely clicking these articles. :wink2:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like Kawhi Leonard may announce his plans on Friday.

"I think he's going to make an announcement on Friday," said Cris Carter on First Things First. "The process was, it didn't start for him at 6 PM, even though his camp and Magic they made plans as far as having a discussion on Sunday. They planned on meeting with the Lakers and Clippers on Monday and Tuesday in free agency. After that, they would meet with the Knicks and Brooklyn, and then ultimately meet with Toronto.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiret...His-Scheduled-Plan-Decision-Could-Come-Friday

As far as the Lakers are concerned tomorrow basically has to be it. Apparently league rules require them to sign Kawhi BEFORE they finalize the AD trade or they won't have the caproom to sign Kawhi. the deadline for the trade to be final is apparently July 6th, so they have to sign Kawhi tomorrow. Unless it means they can sign him July 6th before finalizing the trade but what I read said he has to be signed on the 5th, implying the trade automatically finalizes on the 6th.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
As far as the Lakers are concerned tomorrow basically has to be it. Apparently league rules require them to sign Kawhi BEFORE they finalize the AD trade or they won't have the caproom to sign Kawhi. the deadline for the trade to be final is apparently July 6th, so they have to sign Kawhi tomorrow. Unless it means they can sign him July 6th before finalizing the trade but what I read said he has to be signed on the 5th, implying the trade automatically finalizes on the 6th.
I thought it was that the trade can be finalized only AFTER the 6th, not that the 6th is the deadline. It’s simply that the trade COULDN’T be completed before that day but can be completed anytime on or after that day.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it was that the trade can be finalized only AFTER the 6th, not that the 6th is the deadline. It’s simply that the trade COULDN’T be completed before that day but can be completed anytime on or after that day.

not sure but what I read is the trade has to be made official by the 6th and Kawhi has to sign first for the caproom to work.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
not sure but what I read is the trade has to be made official by the 6th and Kawhi has to sign first for the caproom to work.
That part may be true, but they can wait to consummate the trade until after Kawhi signs. And that doesn’t have to be the 6th. It may hold up other transactions, but I don’t think there’s a rule about the timeline after the 6th.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm ready for Kawhi to announce he's joining the Lakers tomorrow. I'm not sure how their fans could be more insufferable, but we're about to find out.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I'm ready for Kawhi to announce he's joining the Lakers tomorrow. I'm not sure how their fans could be more insufferable, but we're about to find out.
I am prepared like you for the worst. I am hoping for a Toronto return! That would be the bomb!

Johninromania

Veteran
Reaction score
I thought that the Lakers are the least likely of the options? So what has changed in the last 48 hrs?

I was curious as to see what the difference between a maxed out player would take home in California compared to Arizona at the end of the year. It’s a whopping 4 million based on a 30 million annual salary. Crazy with federal tax and California state tax, Californians pay more then the top earners in Germany.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't even want to ask if the Lakers have a backup plan.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought that the Lakers are the least likely of the options? So what has changed in the last 48 hrs?

I was curious as to see what the difference between a maxed out player would take home in California compared to Arizona at the end of the year. It’s a whopping 4 million based on a 30 million annual salary. Crazy with federal tax and California state tax, Californians pay more then the top earners in Germany.

I knew they had a higher tax rate but I didn't think it was that high. No wonder ESPN and the talking heads talk up states without an income tax like Texas and Florida so much when guessing where free agents will go. Of course both those states have a few different teams also, which helps, but to an athlete making big money that is like bringing home a 2nd salary.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I knew they had a higher tax rate but I didn't think it was that high. No wonder ESPN and the talking heads talk up states without an income tax like Texas and Florida so much when guessing where free agents will go. Of course both those states have a few different teams also, which helps, but to an athlete making big money that is like bringing home a 2nd salary.
Living in Northern Nevada, I know some Northern California cities like Oakland, San Franciaco, San Jose, etc., had high municipal taxes and sales taxes, too. Factor in property taxes also. Nevada had no state taxes. When I left Northern Nevada, there was California flight into Nevada. Mostly retired folks who don't need to find a job. Which is why Nevada is the oldest state per capita. Oddly next door Utah is the youngest state per capita.

They never talk about it but the Reno Aces, the Dbacks triple A club, obviously has professional athletes. I wonder going from Nevada to AZ how the taxes affect the ball players, if at all.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For what it is worth.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
For what it is worth.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Reminds me as a kid, when Paul McCartney would hit Tucson where he had a home, and the radio station would have people call in saying where they saw him at. He couldn't go anywhere in Tucson without it being reported.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reminds me as a kid, when Paul McCartney would hit Tucson where he had a home, and the radio station would have people call in saying where they saw him at. He couldn't go anywhere in Tucson without it being reported.

The media is grasping at straws in regard to Leonard and for that matter many fans so we can see where the rest of players end up in free agency.

I heard the Knicks dropped out of the Kawhi race because they wanted to make moves before the market dried up.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The media is grasping at straws in regard to Leonard and for that matter many fans so we can see where the rest of players end up in free agency.

I heard the Knicks dropped out of the Kawhi race because they wanted to make moves before the market dried up.
I know some pundits are saying with the moves the Knicks made, they should have waited to take the meeting with Kawhi. Don't ask Steven A. SMith!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know some pundits are saying with the moves the Knicks made, they should have waited to take the meeting with Kawhi. Don't ask Steven A. SMith!

I like the Randle signing and Portis was fine but they are not the difference makers they wanted.

They better hope that Elfrid Payton is ready to produce.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Ramona Shelburn was told by someone in Kawhi's camp that he will decide by the end of the week. Ramona commented what is the end of the week? Is that Friday? Saturday? Sunday? She said they only would say the end of the week.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Living in Northern Nevada, I know some Northern California cities like Oakland, San Franciaco, San Jose, etc., had high municipal taxes and sales taxes, too. Factor in property taxes also. Nevada had no state taxes. When I left Northern Nevada, there was California flight into Nevada. Mostly retired folks who don't need to find a job. Which is why Nevada is the oldest state per capita. Oddly next door Utah is the youngest state per capita.

They never talk about it but the Reno Aces, the Dbacks triple A club, obviously has professional athletes. I wonder going from Nevada to AZ how the taxes affect the ball players, if at all.

9.25% sales tax. The most gas taxes in the country. And yes high taxes and cost of living. With NBA players they should be able to afford but some of them blow the money.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
Ramona Shelburn was told by someone in Kawhi's camp that he will decide by the end of the week. Ramona commented what is the end of the week? Is that Friday? Saturday? Sunday? She said they only would say the end of the week.
Interesting. I was watching Bobby Marks talk about how the Lakers needed to sign him by the 6th or they could lose $5 mill in cap room unless both ATL and NO would agree to postpone the trade. Problem is both of these teams want to play their rookies in the summer league but can’t because the AD trade isn’t official. So many moving parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wait. Tobias Harris got 5/180 million?

Dollars?

That is an average of $36 million a year! That is more than Kahwi is going to get. Good grief. I like his game, but not that much.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Come on Kawhi. I get he has every right to take his time but isn't there something to be said for professional courtesy? His decision is having an impact on a lot of people's lives, and if he's not taking all of this time to ponder, but rather just out enjoying himself on a jet ski or something, well that shows a lot of disregard for the other people being carried along on this. To me, he's had plenty of time.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wait. Tobias Harris got 5/180 million?

Dollars?

That is an average of $36 million a year! That is more than Kahwi is going to get. Good grief. I like his game, but not that much.

He’s a better than average role player at best

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Come on Kawhi. I get he has every right to take his time but isn't there something to be said for professional courtesy? His decision is having an impact on a lot of people's lives, and if he's not taking all of this time to ponder, but rather just out enjoying himself on a jet ski or something, well that shows a lot of disregard for the other people being carried along on this. To me, he's had plenty of time.

Lol. It’s his career he can take all the time he wants. Are those people paying any of his bills? Let him blow out his knees and watch how fast those front offices and fans turn on him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA