2019 Draft Prospects...

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So who here is a gambling man? 14% chance that its Zion at the most. Do you trade and unprotected pick? Its going to get more in return.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So who here is a gambling man? 14% chance that its Zion at the most. Do you trade and unprotected pick? Its going to get more in return.

No. Although I might possibly maybe consider thinking about perhaps trading it and Anderson for a top notch point guard but I doubt the other side would go for it. But I wouldn't even dream of trading it for a Dinwiddie level player, even with top 5 protection. Not trading it might look foolish down the line but trading it and having it hit would look far, far worse.

One of the things that needs to enter into the equation is what do we believe we have in Melton and/or Okobo (and by we, I mean Koko and company). Do we think one of them can become a plus starter in the next couple of years? If so, I don't trade that unprotected pick pre-lottery for anyone short of a Giannis-level player.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No. Although I might possibly maybe consider thinking about perhaps trading it and Anderson for a top notch point guard but I doubt the other side would go for it. But I wouldn't even dream of trading it for a Dinwiddie level player, even with top 5 protection. Not trading it might look foolish down the line but trading it and having it hit would look far, far worse.

One of the things that needs to enter into the equation is what do we believe we have in Melton and/or Okobo (and by we, I t. T5omean Koko and company). Do we think one of them can become a plus starter in the next couple of years? If so, I don't trade that unprotected pick pre-lottery for anyone short of a Giannis-level player.
There is no Giannis level player in this draft save Zion. That means you are just not trading it. To me, that is short sighted. What are we going to do with another marginal level rookie? Zion, maybe Bol Bol. I cannot see anyone else. Even RJ Barrett would be a bust on this team. Where would we play him?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no Giannis level player in this draft save Zion. That means you are just not trading it. To me, that is short sighted. What are we going to do with another marginal level rookie? Zion, maybe Bol Bol. I cannot see anyone else. Even RJ Barrett would be a bust on this team. Where would we play him?

Well, first off, we have no idea what's really in this draft although admittedly it does appear quite underwhelming right now. Secondly, you misunderstood my post. I meant, if we believe we have our PG situation taken care of in a year or two with Okobo and/or Melton than I wouldn't trade that pick as an unprotected unless we were getting back a star - granted, asking for a Giannis level player was probably a bit much. But without the dire need of a point guard, I'd hang onto that pick for as long as it still held the possibility of Zion.

Part of why I say no though is that I don't see it drawing the kind of return you seem to think it will. This draft appears to be loaded with projects and I can't see any team thinking a project is the answer to their problems. So, IMO, as long as we are still in the Zion sweepstakes, we need to treat that pick like gold because our potential trading partners probably won't.

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Giannis wasn't a Giannis level player when he was drafted either. He was drafted as the 15th pick. The truth is you can never know until a player develops whether you got the next Giannis or Archie Goodwin.

That being said I am all for trading it for a good player that helps us now and in the future. I just don't want to trade it just for the sake of not having another rookie on the roster.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I would be fine with trading our own pick with light protections along with Ryan Anderson if we get a good young player that is on a good contract

I think Zion and RJ are the only great prospects in this draft class and RJ Barrett is maybe a poor fit though I could imagine Booker and RJ playing together. But yeah Zion and RJ are locks to go 1&2.

Ja Morant is a talented PG and would be my third choice.

I read some Suns fans raving about Rui Hachimura from Gonzaga but I would never ever ever consider drafting him. If you see a forward prospect that is under 2 combined steals+blocks per 36 min your alarm bells should go off.

1. Zion
2. RJ
3. Morant

Reddish is too risky of a pick right now considering we have Bridges, Jackson, Warren and Oubre and Reddish to me looks very much to be in the Bridges/Oubre mold.

Nassir Little - horrible block/steal/assists numbers especially given his wingspan he should be getting a lot more blocks and steals.

Bol Bol - nice project but we have zero need or use for a project center and he is not a better prospect than Ayton.

Kevin Porter, now that is an interesting prospect but his horrible FT% turns me off however he played only 6 games so it might be a fluke. Don't see him as a starter but he would fit well into our 2nd unit as an explosive all around shooting guard.

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

One of the things that needs to enter into the equation is what do we believe we have in Melton and/or Okobo (and by we, I mean Koko and company). Do we think one of them can become a plus starter in the next couple of years? If so, I don't trade that unprotected pick pre-lottery for anyone short of a Giannis-level player.

I was thinking more of maybe something like Anderson, Okobo and our top 5 protected pick for Aaron Gordon. A good young player on a non-terrible long term contract. Not sure how Gordon would affect our overall forward rotation but I think he would be a solid fit in out lineup.

Ayton/Holmes
Gordon
Warren/Oubre
Bridges/Jackson
Booker/Melton/Crawford

Basically Ayton , Holmes taking all the center minutes.
Gordon, Warren, Bridges, Jackson, Oubre taking all the wing minutes 2-4.
Booker, Melton, Crawford taking all the playmaker minutes.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You want to trade a point guard for another wing? Plus have 87 year old Jamal Crawford as one of your heavy minutes players?
We needneedneed a starting caliber point guard. We are stuck in the mud no matter what else, until we get one. As good as our young front line will be, as good as Booker will be, playing him at the point weakens two positions.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
You want to trade a point guard for another wing? Plus have 87 year old Jamal Crawford as one of your heavy minutes players?
We needneedneed a starting caliber point guard. We are stuck in the mud no matter what else, until we get one. As good as our young front line will be, as good as Booker will be, playing him at the point weakens two positions.
Gordon is far closer to a real 4 than anything we have and he doesn't have Crawford playing big minutes. He would be taking the minutes left over at the PG position which Booker and Melton would be using most of.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I would be fine with trading our own pick with light protections along with Ryan Anderson if we get a good young player that is on a good contract

I think Zion and RJ are the only great prospects in this draft class and RJ Barrett is maybe a poor fit though I could imagine Booker and RJ playing together. But yeah Zion and RJ are locks to go 1&2.

Ja Morant is a talented PG and would be my third choice.

I read some Suns fans raving about Rui Hachimura from Gonzaga but I would never ever ever consider drafting him. If you see a forward prospect that is under 2 combined steals+blocks per 36 min your alarm bells should go off.

1. Zion
2. RJ
3. Morant

Reddish is too risky of a pick right now considering we have Bridges, Jackson, Warren and Oubre and Reddish to me looks very much to be in the Bridges/Oubre mold.

Nassir Little - horrible block/steal/assists numbers especially given his wingspan he should be getting a lot more blocks and steals.

Bol Bol - nice project but we have zero need or use for a project center and he is not a better prospect than Ayton.

Kevin Porter, now that is an interesting prospect but his horrible FT% turns me off however he played only 6 games so it might be a fluke. Don't see him as a starter but he would fit well into our 2nd unit as an explosive all around shooting guard.

I agree almost entirely with your takes here.

Obviously, I'd be thrilled with Zion. Morant is my second favorite prospect. And, while I have some concerns on Barrett, I would be very uneasy about passing him up or trading if we have the 2nd or 3rd pick. Bol and Porter intrigue me, but the Suns seem like the wrong team to gamble on Bol.

If we don't pick in the top 3, as of now, my goal would be to find a good trading partner to bring in a more established player.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I go back and forth, but I would consider signing Deangelo Russell at this point. Still very young and adds another scorer.

Resign Oubre and possibly Holmes if not too expensive.

PG Russell
SG Booker
SF Oubre
PF Warren
C Ayton

Bench
G Melton
Wing Jackson
C/F Holmes

That's a pretty good team with multiple ball handlers, shot creation, and passing. Russell doesn't have to be 100% PG which fits his skill set

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I go back and forth, but I would consider signing Deangelo Russell at this point. Still very young and adds another scorer.

Resign Oubre and possibly Holmes if not too expensive.

PG Russell
SG Booker
SF Oubre
PF Warren
C Ayton

Bench
G Melton
Wing Jackson
C/F Holmes

That's a pretty good team with multiple ball handlers, shot creation, and passing. Russell doesn't have to be 100% PG which fits his skill set

You forgot about Bridges.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, first off, we have no idea what's really in this draft although admittedly it does appear quite underwhelming right now. Secondly, you misunderstood my post. I meant, if we believe we have our PG situation taken care of in a year or two with Okobo and/or Melton than I wouldn't trade that pick as an unprotected unless we were getting back a star - granted, asking for a Giannis level player was probably a bit much. But without the dire need of a point guard, I'd hang onto that pick for as long as it still held the possibility of Zion.

Part of why I say no though is that I don't see it drawing the kind of return you seem to think it will. This draft appears to be loaded with projects and I can't see any team thinking a project is the answer to their problems. So, IMO, as long as we are still in the Zion sweepstakes, we need to treat that pick like gold because our potential trading partners probably won't.
If we, with all the young players on our roster, need to treat that pick like gold, you can absolutely bet that other teams would value our number one pick this year more than we do. That's the bottom line. Its worth more to others than it is to us.

If we add a power forward, we really need to move one of Warren, Jackson, Oubre, or Bridges--probably in a deal for that forward. But we better be dead sure that pf is an upgrade over Warren. Gordon fits the pf mold better, but I am not sure he is a better player.

I think our best path ahead is trading the pick (with maybe top two protection) for a pf or pg and getting the other player in free agency. They just need to be good players who play both ways hard, not necessarily stars.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not a Reddish fan either but I can't help but think he's in the wrong place. Or with the wrong teammate at least. I certainly wouldn't want to play with Barrett.

That's the problem IMO he simply isn't cut out to be the 3rd guy and he is and he's struggling with it. His issue coming in was as they said a tendency to disappear at times and coast, being the 3rd guy at Duke has made it just too easy for him to do that.

He needs to play consistently harder and he doesn't do it.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we, with all the young players on our roster, need to treat that pick like gold, you can absolutely bet that other teams would value our number one pick this year more than we do. That's the bottom line. Its worth more to others than it is to us.

I don't see it but okay. Other teams know as well as we do how weak this draft appears to be (right now - it really could change). I guess if there's a team out there that would love to get Barrett or Reddish almost as much as they'd want Zion? Beyond that, though, I don't know why you'd expect someone to give up good value for a 14% at Williamson. We can do it without looking desperate, that's probably not the case for other suitors.

What kind of a return do you think that pick could bring us if we used it before the trade deadline? What kind of trade were you envisioning?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking more of maybe something like Anderson, Okobo and our top 5 protected pick for Aaron Gordon. A good young player on a non-terrible long term contract. Not sure how Gordon would affect our overall forward rotation but I think he would be a solid fit in out lineup.

Ayton/Holmes
Gordon
Warren/Oubre
Bridges/Jackson
Booker/Melton/Crawford

Basically Ayton , Holmes taking all the center minutes.
Gordon, Warren, Bridges, Jackson, Oubre taking all the wing minutes 2-4.
Booker, Melton, Crawford taking all the playmaker minutes.

I'm thinking along these lines as well if the Suns find a taker. It doesn't necessarily have to be Gordon though. It could be someone else.

If the Suns pick is protected say top 5, I'm not seeing a lot of downside.

At some point in time the Suns need to fish instead of cutting bait.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

Yeah but what if we don't get the number one pick? Mind you, this is far more likely than actually getting the number one pick. Add another wing? Add another Center? Morant appears to be the best PG prospect, but he has some major question marks and red flags too.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
If it's a two- or three-player draft, you aren't going to get much for the pick if it has any protection on it. If the Suns want to trade the pick for value, they need to cross their fingers and do it unprotected.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah but what if we don't get the number one pick? Mind you, this is far more likely than actually getting the number one pick. Add another wing? Add another Center? Morant appears to be the best PG prospect, but he has some major question marks and red flags too.

There are a lot of promising players in the draft, unfortunately most of them are raw projects and many of them will likely fail. But for a team just starting into their rebuild, that risk/reward might make sense. So, there should still be a market for our pick even if the return is less than we'd hope for.

I like Morant quite a bit but he's a huge gamble with what we know about him right now. But we might know enough about him by the time the draft rolls around. If we really believe in him there's no need to play around with it looking for a trade down partner, just grab him at 2 or 6 or wherever we land. If we miss out on Zion and can't get or don't want Morant, a trade out then makes the most sense to me.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
There are a lot of promising players in the draft, unfortunately most of them are raw projects and many of them will likely fail. But for a team just starting into their rebuild, that risk/reward might make sense. So, there should still be a market for our pick even if the return is less than we'd hope for.

I like Morant quite a bit but he's a huge gamble with what we know about him right now. But we might know enough about him by the time the draft rolls around. If we really believe in him there's no need to play around with it looking for a trade down partner, just grab him at 2 or 6 or wherever we land. If we miss out on Zion and can't get or don't want Morant, a trade out then makes the most sense to me.
I also like Zion and Morant. I think Bol is a nice project with his length, movement and shooting as a potential 3-D PF alongside Ayton. Would make us awfully stingy defensively if he developed.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think the Suns pick would lose that much value if they traded it with just #1 pick protection. Everyone knows how unlikely that is but it's a calculated risk. #1 protection is a lot different than top 5 or top 10. I can't think of teams willing to do a deal with us that would really balk at that. If someone was adamant we don't include that protection then maybe sweeten the pot a little bit with Okobo or someone cheap.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
I also like Zion and Morant. I think Bol is a nice project with his length, movement and shooting as a potential 3-D PF alongside Ayton. Would make us awfully stingy defensively if he developed.
Bol Bol has actually really surprised me so far but Im just not a fan of string bean bigs especially at his size I can just see the injuries stacking up and him getting pushed around by stronger players that completely diminishes his length advantage, high boom or bust pick Imo but the fit is interesting

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Bol Bol has actually really surprised me so far but Im just not a fan of string bean bigs especially at his size I can just see the injuries stacking up and him getting pushed around by stronger players that completely diminishes his length advantage, high boom or bust pick Imo but the fit is interesting
I get where you’re coming from but luckily we wouldn’t have to rely on him covering centers so maybe his weight would be somewhat mitigated as an issue.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
I get where you’re coming from but luckily we wouldn’t have to rely on him covering centers so maybe his weight would be somewhat mitigated as an issue.
I could see him being pretty diruptive against small ball PF for sure. If he puts on weight he has potential to be a star especially with his shooting

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson