2018-19 Season | Point Guard Discussion

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes, Chap, I am saying that injuries to our two top scorers and seeing them playing out of position game after game might not be a coincidence. I've said it before.

Logically, it has to cause adjustments and in a league as strenuous as the NBA, that could induce injuries. Booker guarding quicker Point Guards. And having to be our best facilitator and scorer, without a decent Point Guard facilitating him. It is all on him. Warren guarding heavier Power Forwards, as Mainstreet just pointed out.

It is not inconceivable! You say it has been proven to be wrong, so where is the proof? Thus far, we have different opinions. That is supposed to be a positive on ASFN. If everyone played the role of "yes" men, well, we've seen what it has done to the Suns.

As far as your mentioning other teams, I don't give a rusty f*** for other teams. I just keep hoping that maybe someone, sometime, somewhere, will knock some sense into Sarver's head about how to "manage" a professional ball team. See the results of putting his ego first, count the money and let pro's run the team.

After last season, even the tank brigade did not want to see us go through another season like that. Did you? Are you condoning what is going on? That would be a disappointing surprise.
I see no correlation whatsoever. Warren is playing the same game he always has. Booker was passing more, but I see no reason why playing pg would produce injuries more than Sg.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see no correlation whatsoever. Warren is playing the same game he always has. Booker was passing more, but I see no reason why playing pg would produce injuries more than Sg.

On defense Warren's not playing the same, at least on D. he's playing against bigger guys, banging on him now. That could have an impact on someone smaller in those matchups.

And Booker isn't just passing more, he has to initiate everything on offense and exert more energy on defense guarding PGs... and doing all this while apparently "never being healthy" so far this season.

I'm not saying I agree with BC, but I don't see how you reject the wear and tear on guys who are now asked to do more than they're used, playing either faster guys (PGs) or banging with bigger guys (PFs).

At the same time, Booker and Warren have had a proclivity for knicks and bruises and time on the bench over the last few years playing their normal slots, so that could be a viable argument against what he says.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yes, Chap, I am saying that injuries to our two top scorers and seeing them playing out of position game after game might not be a coincidence. I've said it before.

Logically, it has to cause adjustments and in a league as strenuous as the NBA, that could induce injuries. Booker guarding quicker Point Guards. And having to be our best facilitator and scorer, without a decent Point Guard facilitating him. It is all on him. Warren guarding heavier Power Forwards, as Mainstreet just pointed out.

It is not inconceivable! You say it has been proven to be wrong, so where is the proof? Thus far, we have different opinions. That is supposed to be a positive on ASFN. If everyone played the role of "yes" men, well, we've seen what it has done to the Suns.

As far as your mentioning other teams, I don't give a rusty f*** for other teams. I just keep hoping that maybe someone, sometime, somewhere, will knock some sense into Sarver's head about how to "manage" a professional ball team. See the results of putting his ego first, count the money and let pro's run the team.

After last season, even the tank brigade did not want to see us go through another season like that. Did you? Are you condoning what is going on? That would be a disappointing surprise.
I agree with BC. No one should ever guard anyone quicker than them or bigger than them. We need to have of the other teams measurements pregame and everyone in the court should assigned based on those.

Sorry BC I just couldn’t help take myself to the hyperbolic extreme of your statement.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Also warren routinely got injured regularly playing SF for years so anybatgument based on his position is rather specious at best.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, Chap, I am saying that injuries to our two top scorers and seeing them playing out of position game after game might not be a coincidence.

I agree with this but emphasis on the "might" part. They both have had a lot of nagging little injuries regardless of position or responsibility. It's a stretch to draw a conclusion on the cause of these injuries but it's reasonable to be concerned about the possibility it's connected to the roles they are having to fill. JMO.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I agree with this but emphasis on the "might" part. They both have had a lot of nagging little injuries regardless of position or responsibility. It's a stretch to draw a conclusion on the cause of these injuries but it's reasonable to be concerned about the possibility it's connected to the roles they are having to fill. JMO.

I think that if anything it increases the chance and degree of risk of injury, both it occurring and the scope or intensity, even if it is not the cause.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I think that if anything it increases the chance and degree of risk of injury, both it occurring and the scope or intensity, even if it is not the cause.
When your team is going well, anyone who looks for things to criticize should not be encouraged to.

On the other hand, when your team wallows in failure for almost a decade, someone better be looking for reasons.

Ideally, it would be the people at the top. Unfortunately, they don't have the experience or skill.

So many of us look at possible explanations. That and a buck and a half will get you a cup of coffee.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
apparently Fultz's diagnoses is nerve damage -- the physical kind
i guess that's better than psychological nerve damage
i'm sure he's got a little of that too
at least the diagnosis may help the Suns decide what he's worth

as xmas and desperation approaches
who can deny that Fultz belongs on this Island of Misfit Toys

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Fultz situation looks like a mess, but if this diagnosis is accurate and his rehab shows progress, feelings may be mended quickly. The Sixers might hold onto Fultz since they still have next year to trade him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After Booker shined as a point guard in the Bucks game, I have learned not to get excited about the Suns future at point guard.

However, after the Kings game last night De'Anthony Melton gave me a sliver of hope that the Suns might have someone on their roster who might eventually evolve.

Melton had 21 points, 5 assists, 1 steal and only one turnover in 23 minutes. How awesome would it be to get something from the Brandon Knight trade.

Please let this be a precursor of things to come.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
After Booker shined as a point guard in the Bucks game, I have learned not to get excited about the Suns future at point guard.

However, after the Kings game last night De'Anthony Melton gave me a sliver of hope that the Suns might have someone on their roster who might eventually evolve.

Melton had 21 points, 5 assists, 1 steal and only one turnover in 23 minutes. How awesome would it be to get something from the Brandon Knight trade.

Please let this be a precursor of things to come.
Both young PGs have shown flashes. Okobo in the Clippers game.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It’s worth noting that the Suns wouldn’t be in this fix if Robert Sarver, the club’s managing partner, had not reportedly overruled his then-general manager, Ryan McDonough, on draft night.

McDonough reportedly planned to package the club’s pick from Milwaukee and a player taken with the 16th pick to move up and draft Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, a point guard from Kentucky.

When Philadelphia offered the rights to Mikal Bridges for the rights to Zhaire Smith and Miami’s unprotected 2021 first-round pick, Sarver pushed for that deal. So the Suns moved up six spots to add their fourth young wing player.

Even the choice to move up for SGA was not the preferred strategy.

Another NBA team had an offer on the table for the Suns’ 16th pick in exchange for a future unprotected first-round pick. That would have given the Suns two future unprotected picks and Milwaukee’s future pick to use in a deal for an established point guard.

Instead, Sarver preferred to move up. So imagine for a moment Gilgeous-Alexander in a future lineup with Devin Booker, Deandre Ayton, T.J. Warren and Josh Jackson.

https://theathletic.com/694827/2018...st-including-john-wall-lonzo-ball-and-others/
Mind boggling if true.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The only way to get through to Sarver is for no one to show to games, completely no fans at all. I get some tickets are presold to brokers and such but that would hurt TV ratings, concession revenues, etc.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The only way to get through to Sarver is for no one to show to games, completely no fans at all. I get some tickets are presold to brokers and such but that would hurt TV ratings, concession revenues, etc.
How do ticket sales hurt tv ratings?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mind boggling if true.

Why is it mind boggling?

Is it really outrageous to prefer Bridges over Gilgeous-Alexander?

I don't think it is. I know I preferred Bridges on draft night, and actually long term I still think I do.

The only thing enlightening in this news is the different picks involved. While it would be preferable to have the Miami pick - it too is likely going to be a late first rounder and will convey after the Millwaukee pick. We now also know it will not be a double draft class draft. Since everybody loves to use hindsight to call everybody an idiot, then I would argue we got more value out of that pick than we deserved, and it was a good time to trade it.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You really don't understand the way the NBA works.

95% of revenue comes from the nba shared revenue - mainly national tv contract money.

Zero ticket sales, zero merchandise sales, and no local tv contract would not stop the suns from making money.

Add on to that NBA franchises are one of the fastest value increasing assets over the last 20 years, and well it is actually ludicrous to think Sarver is ever going to sell.

It is what it is - you better get used to him, because unless he dies he is going no where.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How do ticket sales hurt tv ratings?

My bad I made a run-off of a sentence. I didn't mean ticket sales would hurt ratings directly. They're completely two different revues, I get that.
When you watch on TV and see no one at the games, you know its not worth watching.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Why is it mind boggling?

Is it really outrageous to prefer Bridges over Gilgeous-Alexander?

I don't think it is. I know I preferred Bridges on draft night, and actually long term I still think I do.

The only thing enlightening in this news is the different picks involved. While it would be preferable to have the Miami pick - it too is likely going to be a late first rounder and will convey after the Millwaukee pick. We now also know it will not be a double draft class draft. Since everybody loves to use hindsight to call everybody an idiot, then I would argue we got more value out of that pick than we deserved, and it was a good time to trade it.
It is mind boggling because the team didn’t need another wing player as bad as it did a PG. They compounded this mistake by then signing another wing player on the first day of free agency.

It reminds me of when they did drafted a PG (Ennis) in the 2014 draft despite having two very solid ones already on the roster and then signing another one in FA that year as well.

Roster construction matters.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson