2018-19 Season | Point Guard Discussion

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanted the Suns to draft Fox in the 2017 draft and when that didn't happen I wanted them to move up from #16 to draft Shai in the 2018 draft.

Who needs a point guard?

Disappointingly, not the Suns.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanted the Suns to draft Fox in the 2017 draft and when that didn't happen I wanted them to move up from #16 to draft Shai in the 2018 draft.

I remember, you were very high on Fox. I was mostly neutral on him and Jackson. The only one I really wanted to avoid was Dennis Smith. I wanted SGA but I would not have taken him any higher than he went and he's looking like that might have been too low.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember, you were very high on Fox. I was mostly neutral on him and Jackson. The only one I really wanted to avoid was Dennis Smith. I wanted SGA but I would not have taken him any higher than he went and he's looking like that might have been too low.

I think Markkanen was one of your favorites in the 2017 draft. I'd settle for this. At least the Suns would only be short in one area of need instead of two.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What makes you think JJ thinks of himself as a star? He doesn’t coast, he plays hard every play. He tries on defense. I’ve yet to hear him complain off the court. What makes you make that statement?

I agree with Proximo on the star statement. Maybe star is the wrong way to describe to it but I don't think it's hard to tell that Jackson believes he's a better player than he currently is. He works hard and the effort is there but you could tell by his body language and some comments early on that he felt he should be starting. It hasn't really been that much of a negative as far as the team is concerned. He's not cancerous and making a bunch of stupid statements to the press. I'm not sure if he feels he's better than he is or if he thinks he's farther along in his development and closer to a finished product than he is. It hasn't slowed him down but I get the feeling that he's happy he's not a "rookie" anymore and thought there would be a real jump forward for him this year but it hasn't happened and he's been disappointed by that. He seems to have gotten over that and has played much better lately, hopefully he's accepted that he needs help and that he's not quite the player he believes he is yet. Like with Summer League, he talked about how he was going to dominate it but he did not come close to doing so. He tried, for sure, but he was bad. He seemed to have entered this season with a similar thought process and it's taken him a little time to come back to reality.

It's not a negative like a Lonzo Ball, who thought he was a star before ever being drafted. I know his dad helped him think that way but Jackson is more of the type of player that will let his game do a lot of talking and his game wasn't saying anything good early this year. I can't think of a similar player to compare him to. Perhaps Bledsoe when he came to Phoenix. He wasn't a starter, hadn't been in LA, but felt that's the role he deserved. He didn't complain and played hard. He wanted to paid like a star but had done nothing but proven to be a really good backup before coming here. He let his game back him up though and by the end of the year he proved he was a quite good combo guard. He wasn't a star but he was headed that way, if he could stay healthy and kept putting in the same effort or more.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For all of those saying Kemba stays in Charlotte or he goes elsewhere, I wouldn't be so sure of anything in regards to him. I read this the other day and apparently he's had trouble seeing himself as a leader. That pressure may be lessened here with Booker present and even though Kemba would be seen as a vet and part of our core going forward everyone knows it's Booker's team.

I've been against acquiring Kemba for a few reasons but after reading this article I am much more open to it than I've been in the past. Not only would he be a significant talent upgrade but he seems to be a much better person, on and off the court, than I thought he was. I didn't know much about him before but I always thought he was a bit of a diva and I'm not sure where I got that idea initially but I do regret having it for so long after learning a bit more about him. It's a good read and it talks about him from when he was drafted up until current times. Apparently he's even been surprised that he's gotten as good as he has, which is odd to hear an NBA player admit. I was very surprised to read that also since I initially thought he was a diva of sorts.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25391986/kemba-walker-never-saw-nba-superstar-turn-coming

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
For all of those saying Kemba stays in Charlotte or he goes elsewhere, I wouldn't be so sure of anything in regards to him. I read this the other day and apparently he's had trouble seeing himself as a leader. That pressure may be lessened here with Booker present and even though Kemba would be seen as a vet and part of our core going forward everyone knows it's Booker's team.

I've been against acquiring Kemba for a few reasons but after reading this article I am much more open to it than I've been in the past. Not only would he be a significant talent upgrade but he seems to be a much better person, on and off the court, than I thought he was. I didn't know much about him before but I always thought he was a bit of a diva and I'm not sure where I got that idea initially but I do regret having it for so long after learning a bit more about him. It's a good read and it talks about him from when he was drafted up until current times. Apparently he's even been surprised that he's gotten as good as he has, which is odd to hear an NBA player admit. I was very surprised to read that also since I initially thought he was a diva of sorts.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25391986/kemba-walker-never-saw-nba-superstar-turn-coming

Out of curiosity, who would be your ideal point guard acquisition for this team?

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, who would be your ideal point guard acquisition for this team?

Ideally, Lillard but that's not happening. That said I wouldn't necessary want someone who plays similar to Lillard but didn't have his personality and drive. I would put him at the top of my PG wishlist because the Warriors will never part with Curry. There's a chance Portland moves Lillard though. Realistically, I'd like Rubio as I think he's a real option and if he plays like he did in Utah last year he would be a very good option until we find an upgrade somewhere. I know he's got his warts but he's a very good passer and good defender. If he can knock down open 3's he can keep defenses honest and also make life easier for Ayton, Booker, and Warren.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Ideally, Lillard but that's not happening. That said I wouldn't necessary want someone who plays similar to Lillard but didn't have his personality and drive. I would put him at the top of my PG wishlist because the Warriors will never part with Curry. There's a chance Portland moves Lillard though. Realistically, I'd like Rubio as I think he's a real option and if he plays like he did in Utah last year he would be a very good option until we find an upgrade somewhere. I know he's got his warts but he's a very good passer and good defender. If he can knock down open 3's he can keep defenses honest and also make life easier for Ayton, Booker, and Warren.
Rubio would do well with Booker, Warren and Ayton. He wouldn't have to worry much about scoring and would simply have to knock down some threes when left open.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I could live with that. I would still prefer Kemba Walker, though. Too bad there is zero chance we get him.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Any one for French Frank? People says the Suns are interested.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Any one for French Frank? People says the Suns are interested.
If it doesn't cost much I say why not. He would only eat up $5m next year if he doesn't work out and he at least gives us another play-making option.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Evan Sidery is "people". I don't know if we're interested or not but let's face it, we've been rumored to be interested in every single point guard whose name surfaces.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ntilikina is Harrison/Canaan part deux. If the Suns trade for him, the franchise is beyond hope.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If it doesn't cost much I say why not. He would only eat up $5m next year if he doesn't work out and he at least gives us another play-making option.

Why? How is that guy better than Okobo or Melton? Because of where he was drafted?

At least with Fultz there is real potential.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I mean if the Knicks are giving up on him in the second year that should tell you a lot.

It's not like they are bursting with talent.

He is basically a slightly taller Shaq Harrison - NO THANK YOU

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what Ntilikina bring to the Suns except being a project player. As previously noted, he can't shoot.

Maybe the Suns figure he can run their offense. I guess he would be a backup to Okobo.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
My question is, if Okobo and Melton start showing real promise, wouldn't that maybe change the immediate need for a lower grade PG veteran? I guess if someone like Lillard falls into your lap, jump on it. But if our young guys show promise, maybe we run a bit with them to see how it develops. Also we picked up a PG at the beginnig of the NAZ season, and at least on that level that player is balling. Maybe bring him up for a few games?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
My question is, if Okobo and Melton start showing real promise, wouldn't that maybe change the immediate need for a lower grade PG veteran? I guess if someone like Lillard falls into your lap, jump on it. But if our young guys show promise, maybe we run a bit with them to see how it develops. Also we picked up a PG at the beginnig of the NAZ season, and at least on that level that player is balling. Maybe bring him up for a few games?

None of them are any more ready to start than Marquese Chriss was at power forward two seasons ago (and remember that Chriss showed promise as a rookie but was just handed the keys to the castle way too soon).

Even if Okobo, Melton or Evans prove to be the answer down the road (and that would still be at least 3-4 years away), we need a capable starter to be a bridge until then.

The last thing we need is more of what we saw the last 4-5 seasons.