2018-19 Season | Point Guard Discussion

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don’t see any way in the world we are going to eat into our free cap space for next summer.

It decreases our cap space next summer only by 4 mil.

Besides Dieng's 16 mil. salary is still much more productive than Anderson's 15 mil. buy-out amount.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
How about anybody not named Booker or Ayton and picks for Lillard?

Go big or go home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I am still on offer the first and unload a SF for Lonzo Ball, he will be fine running a offense with all these weapons

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am still on offer the first and unload a SF for Lonzo Ball, he will be fine running a offense with all these weapons

I am less enamored than you of both Ball and the idea that we have "all these weapons". We have more question marks than weapons. And I don't know if anyone is valuable enough to us to warrant putting up with the Ball family.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JMHO, but I think the Suns are playing their need for a point guard beautifully. Let other teams sit on their players until they want to come to the table. It's like the saying, "Never let them see you sweat."

A point guard will become available soon enough. I'm still thinking, once Butler is traded, there will be player movement.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ball!?!? Uh....no thanks! Plus you get his dad too. I would rather listen to chalkboard screeching all day long.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
JMHO, but I think the Suns are playing their need for a point guard beautifully. Let other teams sit on their players until they want to come to the table. It's like the saying, "Never let them see you sweat."

A point guard will become available soon enough. I'm still thinking, once Butler is traded, there will be player movement.

Except that the gaping hole at point guard on this team is the worst kept secret in the NBA. Management can say all they want about the current crop of point guards being fine, but anyone with a brain knows and will continue to know that is BS.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except that the gaping hole at point guard on this team is the worst kept secret in the NBA. Management can say all they want about the current crop of point guards being fine, but anyone with a brain knows and will continue to know that is BS.

Other teams are not going to "Cut off their nose to spite the face". They will do what is best for their team when they realize they cannot manipulate the Suns into a bad deal. McDonough will get his starting point guard at a fair price.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Looking like Booker is our PG on Media day.

Is Ayton the Center and Chandler PF?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is JJ taller? I know the angle is odd, but he looks taller this year. If Ayton is 7-1, he looks 6-9 or 10.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am going to quit thinking about trying to get a pg and enjoy watching the competition among the four we have. New stars emerge from situations like this. Who knows? We might strike gold.

I went back and watched this again. This kid is fast, has great handles and a good shot. He is also a good facilitator. He did not look like this in summer league, but watching the film, the ability is there regardless of the competition.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am going to quit thinking about trying to get a pg and enjoy watching the competition among the four we have. New stars emerge from situations like this. Who knows? We might strike gold.

I went back and watched this again. This kid is fast, has great handles and a good shot. He is also a good facilitator. He did not look like this in summer league, but watching the film, the ability is there regardless of the competition.

I think Okobo is the most likely to surprise us of our PG's. He's been kind of forgotten since we've added Melton. Harrison and Canaan have probably gotten the most talk of being our starter while some thought Melton might fill that role when he was acquired but Okobo's name hasn't been mentioned much, if at all, in that role. I'm not saying it will happen but I think he has the best chance of breaking out and having a great year.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
If Okobo does work out we'd be in great shape. Instead of spending next years cash on a PG we could use the money for a PF.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

Looking like Booker is our PG on Media day.

Is Ayton the Center and Chandler PF?
My son said he heard that Igor is going to try JJ at the point. Thus this picture of the starting five. There was a story a long time ago where JJ said he was working on his handles so he could play some PG. It was assumed at the time it was because we drafted Bridges. My son said he read it was because Igor asked him to work on those skills because he told JJ he may be playing some PG for the Suns, I am assuming as long as he could show he could do it.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My son said he heard that Igor is going to try JJ at the point. Thus this picture of the starting five. There was a story a long time ago where JJ said he was working on his handles so he could play some PG. It was assumed at the time it was because we drafted Bridges. My son said he read it was because Igor asked him to work on those skills because he told JJ he may be playing some PG for the Suns, I am assuming as long as he could show he could do it.

I hadn't heard that but I have heard JJ talk about playing some PG and improving his own playmaking. I'd be curious to know where he heard Igor mention that though. I think Jackson prioritized that because of last season and how difficult it was for our guys when we didn't have a good PG on the floor. Rather than rely on someone else, learn to do things for yourself.

I can see Jackson being our PG sooner than Chandler and Ayton starting together though. That would surprise me quite a bit. If New Orleans still had Cousins then I could see starting them together if we played them but that's situational and not a permanent change.

If Chandler starts instead of Ariza, Anderson, and even Bridges then I'll question Igor's thought process. Ayton is not a PF and shouldn't play there unless it's in short spurts and because we need size for some reason. Ariza and Anderson's acquisitions would look really bad if we start Chandler ahead of them. He can't shoot, can't jump, can't block shots, and doesn't even box out that much. He offers nothing but 10-15 minutes a game as a backup and that's only if we need a real C on the floor while Ayton rests.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hadn't heard that but I have heard JJ talk about playing some PG and improving his own playmaking. I'd be curious to know where he heard Igor mention that though. I think Jackson prioritized that because of last season and how difficult it was for our guys when we didn't have a good PG on the floor. Rather than rely on someone else, learn to do things for yourself.

I can see Jackson being our PG sooner than Chandler and Ayton starting together though. That would surprise me quite a bit. If New Orleans still had Cousins then I could see starting them together if we played them but that's situational and not a permanent change.

If Chandler starts instead of Ariza, Anderson, and even Bridges then I'll question Igor's thought process. Ayton is not a PF and shouldn't play there unless it's in short spurts and because we need size for some reason. Ariza and Anderson's acquisitions would look really bad if we start Chandler ahead of them. He can't shoot, can't jump, can't block shots, and doesn't even box out that much. He offers nothing but 10-15 minutes a game as a backup and that's only if we need a real C on the floor while Ayton rests.

They stressed yesterday that Ayton playing the 4 was a bad idea. So Ayton at the 5 for sure.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Okobo does work out we'd be in great shape. Instead of spending next years cash on a PG we could use the money for a PF.
They keep saying he is the surprise player in all the pick up games. He has all the tools. He is fast, has great vision and passing skills, shoots well, handles the ball and plays very good D. He is what we are looking for in a point guard if he can do it on an NBA level.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
They keep saying he is the surprise player in all the pick up games. He has all the tools. He is fast, has great vision and passing skills, shoots well, handles the ball and plays very good D. He is what we are looking for in a point guard if he can do it on an NBA level.

Indeed, but he has never played against even D-1 college level competition, other than in Summer League, where he predictably struggled. It will take him a good amount of time to adjust, and for the sake of the Suns and for his sake, I hope they give it to him, rather than just throwing him into the fire and watching him get burned.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Indeed, but he has never played against even D-1 college level competition, other than in Summer League, where he predictably struggled. It will take him a good amount of time to adjust, and for the sake of the Suns and for his sake, I hope they give it to him, rather than just throwing him into the fire and watching him get burned.
He is 20 years old, not 18. He has played against grown men in Europe. He has some meat on him, he is not a twig. Go watch Eddie Johnson talk about it on the media day feed from yesterday. I have no problem with the coach throwing him into the starting line up if he thinks he is the guy.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson