2018-19 Season | Point Guard Discussion

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I guess the Suns are calling everybody about pg's. They are talking to Minny about Tyus Jones. https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/251181/Suns-Interested-In-Trade-For-Tyus-Jones.

He would be interesting. He is a very good distributing pg when he plays. TJ McConnell would be interesting to me as well. Those young pg's with lots of promise are more interesting to me than the injured vets.
I would be fine with this acquisition if it doesn't cost too much.
So are you still banging the “McD is doing nothing to find a pg” drum?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So are you still banging the “McD is doing nothing to find a pg” drum?

No, but it would be nice if he could get something done. From what I have seen of his trade history, he is not much of a negotiator.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I guess the Suns are calling everybody about pg's. They are talking to Minny about Tyus Jones. https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/251181/Suns-Interested-In-Trade-For-Tyus-Jones.

He would be interesting. He is a very good distributing pg when he plays.

Jones was a surprisingly effective defender as well last season.

He definitely made a significant improvement last year.

Holmes, Harrison, 2019 Suns 2nd rounder for Jones works under the cap, but I guess the Wolves would want (at least) the MIL pick.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
No, but it would be nice if he could get something done. From what I have seen of his trade history, he is not much of a negotiator.
I would agree that his trades have routinely left me less than enthused, but he’s certainly consummated enough trades to let me know he’s capable of “getting them done.”

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Holmes, Harrison, 2019 Suns 2nd rounder for Jones works under the cap, but I guess the Wolves would want (at least) the MIL pick.
At least. Your original offer is a collection of garbage.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's great the Suns are going to groom two rookies Okobo and Melton as possible point guards of the future.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He would be interesting. He is a very good distributing pg when he plays. TJ McConnell would be interesting to me as well. Those young pg's with lots of promise are more interesting to me than the injured vets.

Also it never hurts the Suns showing interest in other point guards if they still like Beverly. Let the Clippers know the Suns have options if they want more than a 2nd round pick.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The question is behind whom...

I believe the Suns are going to add a veteran PG. My guess it is Beverley although I like someone like Tyus Jones as well. The Suns are probably shopping to get the Clippers to drop their trade demands for more than a 2nd round pick.

Also the Suns may want a rental because of the options in 2019 free agency.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

There are restrictions to trading Holmes since he was acquired in a trade not long ago. It's 60 or 90 days to trade a player again if you want to include them in a package of some sort. They can be dealt alone right away though. I doubt we would trade Holmes though. If he had value then Philly would have got something more for him initially.

Daniels is probably the best low cost trade option the Suns have. He's expiring, costs just over $3 million this season, and can play some minutes off the bench as a shooter. Every team can use more 3 point shooters. Daniels and the Bucks pick would probably work and I would do that for Tyus Jones but he's the top guy on my young PG list. I think he has the potential to be a really good starter next to Booker for years to come.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There are restrictions to trading Holmes since he was acquired in a trade not long ago. It's 60 or 90 days to trade a player again if you want to include them in a package of some sort. They can be dealt alone right away though. I doubt we would trade Holmes though. If he had value then Philly would have got something more for him initially.

Daniels is probably the best low cost trade option the Suns have. He's expiring, costs just over $3 million this season, and can play some minutes off the bench as a shooter. Every team can use more 3 point shooters. Daniels and the Bucks pick would probably work and I would do that for Tyus Jones but he's the top guy on my young PG list. I think he has the potential to be a really good starter next to Booker for years to come.

I would do that as well.

Jones/Harrison/Okobo/Melton
Booker/Reed
Jackson/Ariza/Warren/Bridges
Anderson/Bender
Ayton/Chandler/Holmes

Those four small forwards need playing time somewhere, so I don't see the lack of depth at 2 or 4 as an issue. Jackson and Bridges can play some 2 while Warren and Ariza can play some 4.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think I would too. He is the right mix of talents for this roster. He also will be a restricted free agent next summer so the Suns can maintain control if they want to. This would be my top choice I think. But Minny is playing hard ball. TJ McConnell would be a good choice too.

Good grief, I might even give up a lotto protected Suns pick for 2019. We really do not need any more mid-first round rookies. Giving up a lottery protected pick actually opens up more room for free agency next summer. We could give them their choice of the Minny pick or the Suns pick, just put lotto protection on both.

Heads are about to roll in Minny if the latest Woj tweet is accurate. The owner says Butler is being traded and if teams have trouble talking to his mgmt team, they should call the owner directly.

That is a hard situation to negotiate with. But it could be an opportunity.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think I would too. He is the right mix of talents for this roster. He also will be a restricted free agent next summer so the Suns can maintain control if they want to. This would be my top choice I think. But Minny is playing hard ball. TJ McConnell would be a good choice too.

Good grief, I might even give up a lotto protected Suns pick for 2019. We really do not need any more mid-first round rookies. Giving up a lottery protected pick actually opens up more room for free agency next summer. We could give them their choice of the Minny pick or the Suns pick, just put lotto protection on both.

Heads are about to roll in Minny if the latest Woj tweet is accurate. The owner says Butler is being traded and if teams have trouble talking to his mgmt team, they should call the owner directly.

That is a hard situation to negotiate with. But it could be an opportunity.

I was going to say something about the Butler disaster they've gotten themselves into. They've really screwed things up. There is a good chance Thibs will be canned and if that happens I wouldn't be surprised if they end up in a fire sale. The owner seems committed to Towns, from what I've read, and he's the only player they don't want to move but if they don't move Butler then he won't sign an extension so it's all a big mess. As much as some people rag on the Suns for being a mess at least we haven't had some of the drama other teams have. Our problems have been things that have happened before while some other teams are breaking ground with their drama.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this has been posted but Ulis has signed an Exhibit 10 contract with the Warriors.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this has been posted but Ulis has signed an Exhibit 10 contract with the Warriors.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Good for him. If I remember right that's a minimum contract that the team reserves the right to change it to a Two-Way contract. They're only for one year but they are guaranteed for a certain amount. The guaranteed amount isn't that high since the team can switch it to a Two-Way deal but it's much better than a G-League contract and I imagine it's preferred to moving overseas also. The Warriors now have Ulis and Danuel House. Good to see 2 Suns players making it elsewhere.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good for him. If I remember right that's a minimum contract that the team reserves the right to change it to a Two-Way contract. They're only for one year but they are guaranteed for a certain amount. The guaranteed amount isn't that high since the team can switch it to a Two-Way deal but it's much better than a G-League contract and I imagine it's preferred to moving overseas also. The Warriors now have Ulis and Danuel House. Good to see 2 Suns players making it elsewhere.

I'm glad for Ulis as well. And knowing the Warriors, they will get the best out of both players.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Anderson, Harrison for Dieng, Jones?

The Suns take over the extra year of Dieng for Jones. I guess, MIN would want more.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anderson, Harrison for Dieng, Jones?

The Suns take over the extra year of Dieng for Jones. I guess, MIN would want more.
I don’t see any way in the world we are going to eat into our free cap space for next summer.

It’s better to trade a pick than take on salary.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
My whole point was summed up nicely by Gambo yesterday. Guards like Lillard and others that we first heard about in the first group of PGs we looked at, their teams did not want the Milwaukee first round pick in return. Almost all of those players in the first group have contracts where we would be essentially renting them. So the Suns are not wanting to trade their own pick for a rental.

The second group with Beverly, etc, were not worth the Milwaukee pick, but that was what teams are demanding.

So Gambo said it boiled down to the Assets we have versus what teams demand. The Milwaukee pick is not worth the really good guards we could get in the first group we looked at, and it is way too good for the second tier of guards we went to next.

I think we only make the playoffs if we get a Damian Lillard level guard. The next level of guards like Beverly, etc. don't get us in the playoffs in my opinion. So I would hate for them to reach and give up a first rounder for a player who you will still need to upgrade eventually anyway to get in the playoffs. Just does not make sense. Plus then you have to trade or move that player to upgrade the position. At least with Knight gone we have that part done, making the PG slot available to be upgraded. Now it's just the hard part of getting a player for the right value that doesn't hamstring you at that post for several seasons down the road.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Too bad the Bucks didn't land a different coach. If they didn't end up with Budenholzer I think that pick would have a lot more value. He did really well in Atlanta with less talent than he has in Milwaukee. They're virtually assured of making the playoffs. We do have the back end protection on it this year, if it falls between 17 & 30 but that is likely to happen which means the pick would convey for the 2020 draft when it's only protected #1-7. Hopefully Giannis asks for a trade, then the value of that pick will jump substantially.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Too bad the Bucks didn't land a different coach. If they didn't end up with Budenholzer I think that pick would have a lot more value. He did really well in Atlanta with less talent than he has in Milwaukee. They're virtually assured of making the playoffs. We do have the back end protection on it this year, if it falls between 17 & 30 but that is likely to happen which means the pick would convey for the 2020 draft when it's only protected #1-7. Hopefully Giannis asks for a trade, then the value of that pick will jump substantially.
I am not sold on that coach, but like you say, everyone else in the league is and perception, plus being in the Eastern Conference are screwing us with that pick. That said it would take a guy like Damian Lillard for the Western Conference teams to think we even have a chance to make the playoffs. We would have to be creative and take the big risk of A, trying to trade probably our own pick for a player like that, and B trying to get them to sign a multi year deal, sign and trade, or whatever to make trading our own pick worthwhile. I am not saying it has to be Lillard, but someone from that upper tier list we were first looking at. Otherwise, someone from the second tier list is just an attempt to get some tickets sold to the casual fan who would believe we could make the playoffs. Basically we have to get better talent than the Jazz and other teams right around us have, in order to squeak in. I am think Beverly to the Suns would not scare any of the people in the Western Conference. You get a Lillard or that level and other Western Conference teams are like, well now the Suns aren't an automatic W on our schedule, damn!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we only make the playoffs if we get a Damian Lillard level guard. The next level of guards like Beverly, etc. don't get us in the playoffs in my opinion.

IMO there is a level or two in between Damian and Patrick. That's assuming Beverley is fully recovered. And just the question alone about his health should probably drop him down another level at least. Anyway, I'd like a top tier guard but a reasonably priced player from the next level down makes more sense than going with Canaan or Beverley.