2018-19 Season | Point Guard Discussion

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Poop Head, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Poop Head

Poop Head Poster formerly known as kingdad

Part of why I don't like the Bridges trade as much is the Ariza signing. It's tough not to view all of the moves together since the offseason is almost over. Had we not signed Ariza, or not traded for Bridges, then we'd have about $15 million in cap space to make a deal work or the Miami pick to deal. Either would probably net us a PG that isn't just a stop gap measure. It's tough to say at this point though. As is though we're no longer in position to take on more salary since we took on the Anderson deal so that makes shopping for someone much more difficult. Of course if we can land a Kemba Walker type then we may not need a ton of cap room next season but there are few PG's on the trade market that would fill our needs and allow us to give up cap space next summer without regrets.

SirStefan32 likes this.
  2. JustWinBaby

JustWinBaby Registered

That is telling it like it is.

This also is the 2nd year without a legit Point guard to lead all of the young talent he has acquired. Bledsoe started the season as our veteran point guard but he was a dead man walking. The great Brandon Knight was on the IR.

This is the GM that invested $140 Million of Sarver's money for Knight and Bledsoe as our future point guards. Why in the world does he keep this guy? How freaking dumb is Sarver?

I doubt that any other manager who works for Sarver in his other businesses would still be employed based on McDonough's performance.

The best choice at this point is Canaan. I like him but that is not the point.

The best choice is to fire McDonough prior to the season opener for not providing the veteran point guard he has promised forever. Bob you missed your chance at the end of last season. Please don't let him blow away any more of our assets.

I know that is not going to happen but why wait? Haven't we seen enough bad moves?

3. SirStefan32

SirStefan32 Krycek, Alex Krycek

Now THIS is a solid post, and a damning criticism of McD. I like Ariza, I like Bridges, but he should have targeted a point guard before acquiring two wings. This is all assuming he doesn't have something lined up involving one of the wings and an available point guard.

4. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

The Suns still have the expiring contract of Darrell Arthur to use. Maybe his contract will be used to help acquire a PG.

However, I agree the Bridges trade combined with the acquisition of Ariza raises some questions. The Suns were supposedly going to play Ariza at PF but they have Anderson and Bender there as well. I disliked losing the future Miami pick.

These moves seem to point to the Suns plan to be a major player in the 2019 free agency.

5. 1Sun

1Sun Rookie

Even if that were the case (the Suns being a major player in 2019 free agency), that won't matter if enduring this season with Harrison, Okobo, Melton and/or Canaan at point guard ends up ruining Ayton, Bridges, Jackson and Booker. By 2019, it will have been too late.

BC867 likes this.
  6. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

Why do we even need a "stopgap" point guard? I don't get it--how many wins does a stopgap PG help us with? How much "veteran leadership" does a stopgap point guard even provide?

Stop talking about that -- we have at least 2 stopgap point guards already.

7. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

We sort of agree but I don't think it has to be one or the other.

The Suns have plenty of backup PGs but they lack a starter. Unless the Suns can acquire a starter long term in a trade, I'd prefer they trade for a veteran who can start this season even if the Suns have to carry 4 point guards.

8. 1Sun

1Sun Rookie

It's not about wins and losses for this year. It's about being able to develop Ayton, Bridges, Jackson and Booker and not ruining them with our current horribly inadequate point guard play (as last year did for Chriss, Bender and Jackson, and as we saw the likelihood of in Summer League play with Ayton, Bridges and Jackson).

(And actually, Harrison's passing and court vision are so bad, that I am afraid that with extended time he will end up getting someone like Ayton hurt a la Tom Gugliotta by Randy Livingston, by running into him or by throwing a pass so errant that it directs him into harm's way.)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018 at 10:49 AM
    BC867 and elindholm like this.
  9. 1Sun

1Sun Rookie

Agreed, as long as the vast majority of time at the point is handled by a capable passer and ball handler with enough of a shot to keep defenses honest and not horrible defense...and in any event not Devin Booker (as we all saw the major toll that took on Booker's game last year and how it basically neutralized him overall and wore him out).

Of those requirements, Harrison has only defense and nothing else, Canaan will likely play horrible defense coming off of his injury and is not really a capable passer or ball handler, and neither Okobo nor Melton have any of them at the NBA level at this early stage in their careers.

BC867 likes this.
  10. Chaplin

Ok, understood, but how much more adequate will a stopgap PG be? That's the question. The cost-benefit just doesn't line up.

11. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

I wouldn’t give that pick up for a stopgap

Krangthebrain likes this.
  12. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

agreed. you don't keep making bad decisions to make up for bad decisions. That's how we lost the Lakers pick, that we then had to trade TWO first round picks to get back.

13. 1Sun

1Sun Rookie

The cost of not finding someone (setting the franchise back at least a half decade and ruining our young core, including our franchise cornerstone and our #1 overall pick) is so great that short of giving up Booker or Ayton, there is no cost too great to find someone.

BC867 likes this.
  14. 1Sun

1Sun Rookie

The problem at this point (as we saw last year and in Summer League) is that not having a competent NBA level point guard is so detrimental to our young core that without one, we might as well trade Booker, Jackson, Ayton and Bridges for first round picks in 2021, 2022 and 2023 and go into a full rebuild for 5 years down the road.

15. Chaplin

Disagree. At least, I disagree for the 2018-2019 Season. And again, your "someone" would marginally at best be better than what we already have. Your benefits don't add up.

JCSunsfan and Ouchie-Z-Clown like this.