2017-2018 Draft Prospects watch.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you guys are sweating Doncic vs Ayton too much. IMO, Ayton is going first, regardless, and I like Doncic. For those of you that are more skeptical of Doncic, you ought to be comparing him with Bagley/Young/JJJ...

I actually would be fine with him over JJJ. His lack of playing time... on a team that had a good record but wasn't really all that impressive and got knocked out early in the Tourney raises alarm bells there. Want Bagley a little more because he brings a dimension to the team they don't have. And I kinda put Young just above him because I think he's a legit floor general and can be an explosive scorer who spreads the court, while harboring similar fears about how much he might hurt us defensively.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will be OK with Ayton, Doncic, Bagley, JJJ, Young, or Porter. None of them are perfect, but all of them have skills that should translate to the NBA.

Porter scares the PISS out of me. Just such an unknown factor PLUS back issues at such an early age.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I will be OK with Ayton, Doncic, Bagley, JJJ, Young, or Porter. None of them are perfect, but all of them have skills that should translate to the NBA.

That is my general opinion. I'm not going to be upset over any of those selections.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Here is a video on his craftiness and lack of athleticism and how it help and hurts his game. You see both great Craftiness and horrid athletic ability so, it's really anyone's guess on can he overcome it or not, But I don't want to gamble at all with this high of a draft pick

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
This video is ridiculous. They show multiple clips of him slashing to the basket and getting by his man, then another couple minutes talking about how he can't do that.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I might take Porter at 16 but no way would I consider him with our first pick. And since he's not likely to fall to 16, I guess it's another way to say I wouldn't take Porter.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I can definitely see that happening, too.

At 4, I make the major argument for Young and back that up by making sure the team tries to focus on very solid defenders at the 4/5 to make up for his D... or lack thereof.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
At 4, I make the major argument for Young and back that up by making sure the team tries to focus on very solid defenders at the 4/5 to make up for his D... or lack thereof.

I wish we could get Bamba and Young

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seconded.

Yeah, and it's not that he can't be the best player in this class as he very well could be. It's all about risk management. And, IMO there is no stamp of approval from a medical staff that will change this situation. Porter has greater health risks than you'd want from a top pick.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yeah, and it's not that he can't be the best player in this class as he very well could be. It's all about risk management. And, IMO there is no stamp of approval from a medical staff that will change this situation. Porter has greater health risks than you'd want from a top pick.

Agreed. Ayton-Doncic-Bagley-Jackson-Bamba-Young. It's got to be one of those 6. (Porter too big a risk and Carter not enough upside imho)

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This video is ridiculous. They show multiple clips of him slashing to the basket and getting by his man, then another couple minutes talking about how he can't do that.

Well if he is having those issues in Euro league, times those Issues by 10 on the NBA court, what he is doing and getting by with in Euro league, could easily be ineffective once he is in the NBA, is what that is showing

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I’ll be honest, if there was a universe that said we could get those two v. Ayton, I might jump all over that.

That would be an amazing pairing. Love both of those prospects, but worry about the deficiencies of each. Together though...Bamba could potentially counteract what you lose on defense by playing Young, and Young would be the perfect offensive complement to Bamba, allowing him to operate as a rim-runner on offense and develop an offensive repertoire more gradually.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’ll be honest, if there was a universe that said we could get those two v. Ayton, I might jump all over that.

I'm high on Young... but I don't know if I want to live in a universe where we might be trading David Robinson for Bismack Biyombo and Ricky Rubio's offensive/defense doppelganger.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm high on Young... but I don't know if I want to live in a universe where we might be trading David Robinson for Bismack Biyombo and Ricky Rubio's offensive/defense doppelganger.

Yeah... the more I think about the more it strikes me as trying to outsmart the smartest pick.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

What about a alternate universe of David Robinson vs Curry and Mutombo?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about a alternate universe of David Robinson vs Curry and Mutombo?

That’s still super tough, because I don’t think there’s a universe where Young ends up as good as Curry.

But Ayton could be Robinson. And a Robinson, Reggie Miller (Booker), Rodman with offense and no headaches (Jackson) would be such a fantastic big three.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Then if we get #4 pick it's a choice of Jackson, Bamba, and Young .

I pick Young.

If the Suns get the 4th pick I will root for Doncic or Bagley to drop. I'd probably go Bamba-Young-Jackson in that order, but if the Suns liked Jackson the most I wouldn't be upset. I think they are all three fantastic prospects with risk.