2017-2018 Draft Prospects watch.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bamba is a smart kid - and he's doing the smart thing to get himself ready to play at the next level. He's working with a successful basketball coach, a fitness expert and a dietician. He's not just a gym rat who works on his favorite things instead of what he needs to improve. With his attitude and outlook he's pretty sure bet to reach close to his physical ceiling - which is way up there, as you know.
From that article it appears that he has a good sense of humor and is quite personable, making friends easily. And he likes to play chess. What does this crap mean - that he'll be a good teammate and, likely, a team player.

Fine... if we were picking 7th I'd probably do it, but I'm not taking him over several guys in this draft.

I watched several of his games for Texas, and while there were moments where I thought "wow, he's got some crazy long arms", I never thought "Wow, this guy is a future stud..." His skill set is really really limited. And no, clips of him shooting in an empty gym will not make me forget that he was absolutely terrible at shooting in live games.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doug Haller is saying Bagley is undervalued and he should be considered for the #2 pick.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

He puts Ayton and Bagley in the All-Star category.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I am not arguing against Ayton with that post, I am arguing against a guy I view as being purely one dimensional (rim protector)... and that one dimension being arguably the least valuable in the league at the moment.
I think it’s disingenuous to say he only has one nba skill. He can rebound as well. And rebounding typically translates.

And he’s undeniably athletic. If the work he’s putting in within the article continues he likely will become a VERY good player.

And you can add Minny to the list of NO, philly, and Utah with young up and coming teams with potentially dominant bigs. Those teams are likely our future competition. The ideal is to create a balanced team. One with size and length and perimeter skills.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bamba is the total sleeper here. His D is a given. But the kid looks like he is really going to develop his offense. He will be a presence.

The player I will be most discouraged drafting on draft day is Bagley. His lostness on D is just alarming.

Atyon--totally stoked.
Doncic--Ok, if Igor wants him, I am on board.
Young--Here come the threes.
Bamba--yes, there will be an impact from day 1.
Jackson--yikes, can this kid stay on the floor? fouls.
Porter--what did the dr. say about his back?
Bagley--did you have him play 5 on 5 in workouts? Are you sure?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Bamba is the total sleeper here. His D is a given. But the kid looks like he is really going to develop his offense. He will be a presence.

The player I will be most discouraged drafting on draft day is Bagley. His lostness on D is just alarming.

Atyon--totally stoked.

MSU fans were irate about Izzo not playing him. I wouldn’t hold his lack of playing time against him. FWIW he should still be in HS.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Atyon--totally stoked.

Jackson is raw and a foul magent but my impression is Bamba is even more raw. I don't think McD or the fans have the patience to wait on either one of them...unless other talent is added this offseason. McD would probably go for Bagley or Young.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bamba is intriguing but I'd rather the Suns trade the pick than take him. Can't see him contributing much this year and the Suns are running out of time to build a playoff team. I don't see Booker asking out this year if we suck but if we don't show improvement across the board I'd rather not see what he would do.

There are 4 players I would like to see drafted, Ayton, Doncic, Bagley, and Young. Thankfully we can't fall past 4 so 1 of them is guaranteed. If the training staff cleared Porter I'd take a chance on him if we were picking between 4-8 but we're not, so I'd rather not gamble there. If for some reason they took Porter at 3 or 4, I could probably be talked into liking the pick before the season starts but I'd rather they hit a home run on draft day.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Bamba is intriguing but I'd rather the Suns trade the pick than take him. Can't see him contributing much this year and the Suns are running out of time to build a playoff team. I don't see Booker asking out this year if we suck but if we don't show improvement across the board I'd rather not see what he would do.

There are 4 players I would like to see drafted, Ayton, Doncic, Bagley, and Young
. Thankfully we can't fall past 4 so 1 of them is guaranteed. If the training staff cleared Porter I'd take a chance on him if we were picking between 4-8 but we're not, so I'd rather not gamble there. If for some reason they took Porter at 3 or 4, I could probably be talked into liking the pick before the season starts but I'd rather they hit a home run on draft day.

There are 4 players I would like to see drafted, Ayton, Doncic, Bagley, and Young

That's my top four...in that order.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Gambo and Ash kept brought up yesterday that PHX would like to trade for another star and add a big FA to kind of follow the BOS model last year dealing for Irving & signing Hayward to team with Horford. The thing is to get a star guy like Kawhi you will need to give up at a minimum Jackson & #1 pick will probably have to throw in a couple more pieces and then hope to lure a star in FA but the Suns aren’t exactly as appealing a team than a BOS. I think PHX will keep the pick if it’s #1 and take Doncic (I prefer Ayton but Igor is most likely looking for a stud PG). Hopefully this is the year McD can finally land a stud FA.

rocker

Reaction score
The overall performance of Doncic last game.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think one of the issues people have with Doncic is that he isn't super quick and he doesn't have that frantic look to his game that other point guards have to their game. Doncic is just super smooth and beats people with dribble fakes. He looks effortless, like he's not even trying. I don't remember Magic Johnson looking super quick either, and his game reminds me a bit of Magic's game (NOT SAYING HE WILL BE AS GOOD AS MAGIC).

I remember as a kid not understanding basketball that much and I wasn't impressed by Magic because he wasn't a super scorer and he didn't jump out as this amazing athlete, but he was always in control and super smooth.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think one of the issues people have with Doncic is that he isn't super quick and he doesn't have that frantic look to his game that other point guards have to their game. Doncic is just super smooth and beats people with dribble fakes. He looks effortless, like he's not even trying. I don't remember Magic Johnson looking super quick either, and his game reminds me a bit of Magic's game (NOT SAYING HE WILL BE AS GOOD AS MAGIC).

I remember as a kid not understanding basketball that much and I wasn't impressed by Magic because he wasn't a super scorer and he didn't jump out as this amazing athlete, but he was always in control and super smooth.

All good points.

I used to go to Suns games with a Lakers fan and he would tell me not to get excited when the Suns got a lead near the end of a game. He would tell me to watch Magic. I did and I learned. He was one of the best players to play the game as he could beat a team in so many different ways.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Ha. I know. You are not saying he will be as good as Magic. Its tough. Its like Ayton reminding people of David Robinson. His BODY reminds people of David Robinson. That natural size and build. That straight back and athleticism. They are not saying he is going to be as good as David Robinson--no one knows those things at this stage about any player.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's Steve Nash's agent too, right?
He is a well-respected agent. Good choice.

BTW. I do not know if anyone has noticed the mock on the thestepien.com lately. They have Ayton listed . . .

6th. Behind Doncic, Jackson, Young, Carter, Bagley. And Bamba listed . . .

11th. Behind Porter, Bridges, Bridges, Smith.

:hairraise

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

BTW. I do not know if anyone has noticed the mock on the thestepien.com lately. They have Ayton listed . . .

Wow, if the draft played out anything like that the internet would be going nuts. Could you imagine if we dropped to fourth and took carter?!?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I don't agree with Bamba being 11th but it wouldn't be all that surprising if he fell that far on draft day. Usually someone tumbles and Bamba could be that guy this year. Ayton going 6th is insane though. It would surprise everyone if he slipped to 2 but there is no way he goes past 3 unless some knee injury is disclosed. Even then, I'd be surprised to see him slip very far.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow, if the draft played out anything like that the internet would be going nuts. Could you imagine if we dropped to fourth and took carter?!?

Not just fall to 4th but leave Ayton on the board so we could take Carter. Hopefully Sarver would fire McD before the pick could be called in because taking anyone other than Ayton at 4 if he lasts that long would be ridiculous.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not only taking Carter, but taking Carter at #4 with Ayton still on the board. Yikes.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't agree with Bamba being 11th but it wouldn't be all that surprising if he fell that far on draft day. Usually someone tumbles and Bamba could be that guy this year. Ayton going 6th is insane though. It would surprise everyone if he slipped to 2 but there is no way he goes past 3 unless some knee injury is disclosed. Even then, I'd be surprised to see him slip very far.
I don't think its Bamba that falls though. It could be Young, Bagley, or Porter. But it is usually some sort of storyline that starts developing the days before the draft. Sometimes it is incorrect like when Paul Pierce fell. And sometimes its legit, like when we all wanted John Wallace and the Suns took Steve Nash instead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson