2016 March Madness

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What we are starting to see (because of all this upsets) is the Mid Major Conferences have a team chemistry because they have all been playing together for 3-4 years, while these big conferences are like a revolving door for players that come in for 1 year and leave (i.e. Ben Simmons of LSU this year). It really got exposed this year. UALR, MTSU, Wichita St., Hawaii, Stephen Austin, etc all have 2-3+ seniors and have gelled over the years and it showed with those wins. It's going to continue to be like this unless the NCAA makes players stay for at least 2 years and then they can enter the draft. That's what college baseball does if you sign with a division 1 school. Hard to take away $ from a person if they have a chance to do it by going to the NBA. I know I would be a 1 and done in college if I had the chance to sign for big money

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What we are starting to see (because of all this upsets) is the Mid Major Conferences have a team chemistry because they have all been playing together for 3-4 years, while these big conferences are like a revolving door for players that come in for 1 year and leave (i.e. Ben Simmons of LSU this year). It really got exposed this year. UALR, MTSU, Wichita St., Hawaii, Stephen Austin, etc all have 2-3+ seniors and have gelled over the years and it showed with those wins. It's going to continue to be like this unless the NCAA makes players stay for at least 2 years and then they can enter the draft. That's what college baseball does if you sign with a division 1 school. Hard to take away $ from a person if they have a chance to do it by going to the NBA. I know I would be a 1 and done in college if I had the chance to sign for big money

MSU was a senior led team. Purdue was a senior led team. WVU has a team full of JRs who are not NBA talent.

I get what you're saying and would love to see players stay longer, but thes tournament teams aren't what you say they are.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the A&M and Xavier games have been ridiculous.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MSU was a senior led team. Purdue was a senior led team. WVU has a team full of JRs who are not NBA talent.

I get what you're saying and would love to see players stay longer, but thes tournament teams aren't what you say they are.

In fact Gonzaga is the only mid major left in the sweet 16.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In fact Gonzaga is the only mid major left in the sweet 16.

In name only at this point too.

Really, the vast majority of power conference teams to make the tournament don't have teams of one-and-done players. Most don't even have one on their roster.

That being said, NCAA Champions always have NBA talent on their roster.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I was stunned by the Utes getting destroyed by Gonzaga.

My bracket is still not busted as I still have 3 of 4 teams in the Final four with Oregon and Kansas playing in the final with Kansas winning it all.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

My bracket is still not busted as I still have 3 of 4 teams in the Final four with Oregon and Kansas playing in the final with Kansas winning it all.

Oregon and Kansas cannot play in the final. They would meet in the FF. Might want to double check that.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Oregon and Kansas cannot play in the final. They would meet in the FF. Might want to double check that.

Yes oops, I was all confused, hadn't looked at my bracket since Saturday because I left it over at my dads house.

My final 4 is halfway busted, even worse than I thought! lol Turns out my pick was Kentucky vs Utah and Kansas vs Oregon, with Kansas winning the title over Utah.

In hindsight I dont remember why I had so much faith in Utah, lol #Bracketremorse

Oh well, go Kansas!!! :)

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah I mentioned elsewhere I do not understand what Larry K was thinking in that game. Poeltl gets foul #2 it's a 6 point lead for Gonzaga. He then sits him the rest of the half and it's 15 at the half.

Clearly Poeltl had a sore ankle and he was allegedly also sick, but why sit him that long in the first half and let the game get away like that, and then play him in the 2nd half? If he's too sick or hurt to play effectively don't play him at all, if he's able to play, why sit him that long because of 2 fouls you're supposed to try to win the game. Saving the guy for a 2nd half where you're now down that big a margin makes no sense to me.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Oklahoma upsets Oregon today.
I would be shocked if Villanova upsets KU.

Neither outcome in either of these games would be an upset. Villanova was ranked #1 for several weeks, so was Oklahoma.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Neither outcome in either of these games would be an upset. Villanova was ranked #1 for several weeks, so was Oklahoma.

For the NCAA Tournament, it would be an upset. Not a major upset in either case, but if #2 beats #1 - it is an upset. Period.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For the NCAA Tournament, it would be an upset. Not a major upset in either case, but if #2 beats #1 - it is an upset. Period.

Even if Vegas might have the 2 giving points?

I dont agree that single digit numbers make a difference.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha !! Coach K caught lying about his actions after the game. Comes clean a day later. "Responded incorrectly." Guess that's a new term for "I lied."

LMAO

Coach K apologizes to Altman for postgame chat with Brooks

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/coach-k-apologizes-altman-postgame-chat-brooks-195433563--ncaab.html

Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski says he has apologized to Oregon coach Dana Altman for his postgame conversation with Dillon Brooks.

In a statement issued Saturday, Krzyzewski said ''it is not my place to talk to another team's player'' and he hoped he ''did not create a distraction'' for the top-seeded Ducks.

They play Oklahoma on Saturday night in the West Regional final.

Brooks hit a long 3-pointer with the shot clock expiring in the final seconds of the Ducks' 82-68 victory over Duke on Thursday night. In the handshake line, Krzyzewski had a prolonged discussion with the Oregon guard - and video of it immediately went viral.

In the statement, Krzyzewski said that chat ''took the focus away from the terrific game that Dillon played.''

The Hall of Fame coach also apologized for responding ''incorrectly to a reporter's question about my comment to Dillon.''

Brooks said in the locker room after the game that Krzyzewski told him ''I'm too good of a player to be showing (off) at the end.''

In his news conference, Krzyzewski disputed Brooks' version of events and appeared angry when it was brought up.

''I didn't say that,'' Krzyzewski said. ''You can say whatever you want. Dillon Brooks is a hell of a player. I said, 'You're a terrific player.' And you can take whatever he said and go with it, all right?''

A day later, Altman defended his leading scorer, saying Krzyzewski should have approached him - not Brooks - and that he gave the order to shoot because the shot clock was winding down.

''I told Dillon to shoot it. So if anybody's got a problem with it, it should be directed at me,'' Altman said. ''He was acting on my orders. I told him to shoot it. I didn't think he'd make it. It was a 30-footer, but there was a five-, six-second difference there.''

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Buddy heild us amazing from three point land right now!

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well there goes my bracket had KU winning it all. Just a bad game for both of their 2 best players to have an off night although Selden did have a good 2nd half.

Very impressed with OU, I figured Oregon's athletes would be able to do ok against Hield but he was on fire.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to see Oklahoma vs UNC in the Finals. Mainly because I have a Vegas bet on both from the beginning of the tournament to win it all. It would be a win/win situation if they both ended up in the championship. Oklahoma would be a better payout though. Boomer Sooner!!