2015 March Madness

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zebras will make sure UK wins.Its really amazing................every time UK plays the other teams best players get in foul trouble immediately and Kentucky ends up shooting more free throws.Since the refs refuse to call Kentucky for over the back or charging or basically anything it is mighty tough to win playing 5 on 8.The farce of pretending to be college athletes by the one-and-done player at Kentucky just shows the NCAA cares only about money and the sham that is Kentucky and John Callipari rolls on leaving a trail of slime behind itself like a slug.

I missed large chunks of the game but I didn't see it that way. ND played a style that cleared out the paint for drives. It worked, but as a result, UK wasn't going to get tons of fouls unless they were fouling the dribbler, and they didn't.

UK doesn't get in foul trouble because they play 9 guys. Their bench played 61 minutes against ND that's 4 guys off the bench averaging 15 Min each.

I hate UK, I don't want them to win, but the last few minutes they did everything right, and ND did everything wrong.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:bang:

The officiating has been poor again as usual.Usually certain teams get the NBA star treatment (Kentucky,Duke).It is really too bad the announcers don`t have the balls to say outloud what many fans are thinking.....Certain teams always always get the benfit of the call (the ref that called the foul on ND with 6 seconds left was almost a midcourt and the other refs where right there and did call blow the whistle.Kentucky players just drop the shoulder and plow into the other team and get free throws most of the time.Same with over the back.When ND got 4fouls called on them in a little over a minute starting the game that told me how this was going to end.Zebras all too often benefit Kentucky.NCAA knows Callipari is a scumbag cheater yet because of the big money the Kentucky sheeple bring to events the NCAA turns a blind eye (UK cheats so Cleveland state might be put on probation again).To show how big of a farce it is the NCAA makes a big deal about maintaining graduation rates yet gives exemption for 1 and done players. So a kid going to UK or wherever for one year only because he needs a bit more seasoning will not count against a schools graduation rate while a kid who quits school or transfers will penalize the school.You either stay 4 years or you don`t.Yet the NCAA doesn`t want to offend the cash cow.

I agree I don't like Calipari.

That said, that was in fact a block, the ND player was not there the replay made it clear as day.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
I missed large chunks of the game but I didn't see it that way. ND played a style that cleared out the paint for drives. It worked, but as a result, UK wasn't going to get tons of fouls unless they were fouling the dribbler, and they didn't.

UK doesn't get in foul trouble because they play 9 guys. Their bench played 61 minutes against ND that's 4 guys off the bench averaging 15 Min each.

I hate UK, I don't want them to win, but the last few minutes they did everything right, and ND did everything wrong.

UK doesn`t get in foul trouble because they get away with anything.You say ND plays to clear the paint yet nothing is said about UK lowering the shoulder or leading with the elbow or constant jumping into the defenders..................UK players constantly go over the back off oplayers and never get called for it.Every team that plays UK knows that their star player will probably get called for 2 fouls in the first few minutes.I guess you think its just coincidence that UK shoots 33 % more free throws than their opponets and when they play at home its even worse.Its not unusual to see the opponets get under 10-12 FTS while UK shoots 35-40 FTS.UK plays dribble and drive and very rarely gets a charging call against them.Yet the oponet clears the lane and gets called.Callipari whines and cries and the refs buy his line of garbage .

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
UK doesn`t get in foul trouble because they get away with anything.You say ND plays to clear the paint yet nothing is said about UK lowering the shoulder or leading with the elbow or constant jumping into the defenders..................UK players constantly go over the back off oplayers and never get called for it.Every team that plays UK knows that their star player will probably get called for 2 fouls in the first few minutes.I guess you think its just coincidence that UK shoots 33 % more free throws than their opponets and when they play at home its even worse.Its not unusual to see the opponets get under 10-12 FTS while UK shoots 35-40 FTS.UK plays dribble and drive and very rarely gets a charging call against them.Yet the oponet clears the lane and gets called.Callipari whines and cries and the refs buy his line of garbage .

UK 12 fouls, ND 14.

Over the back is not a foul if you don't make contact, UK is so big they're getting rebounds from behind without contact.

UK for the year shot 24.5 FT's per game, that was tied for 18th with Hampton. They don't foul that much because they have so much size in the back blocking and changing shots.

I hate UK, I want anybody but UK to win this year, I hate Calipari, I think he's terrible for the game. But I didn't see anything in the ND game that indicated the refs were favoring UK. At the end of the game UK executed, ND didn't.

If I"m reading the play by play right Cauley Stein missed a shot with just over 12 minutes left in the 2nd half, UK didn't miss another shot the rest of the half. They missed some FT's but in those 12 minutes they took 8 shots and made all 8 of them. ND didn't score in the last 2 and half minutes. If you can't make them miss, and can't make shots yourself, and you lose, you can't blame the refs.

ND blew the game. They should have subbed offense/defense to get Auguste off the court, he was just conceding shots to Townes,and why Brey never doubled is beyond me he hung his kid out to dry. And on offense they kept running clock and then chucking up bad shots. He coached brilliantly for much of the game then blew it at the end. even the UK kids said they had no idea why ND never adjusted on Townes.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As predictable as could be. Officiating was very consistent. The big name teams have to be in for the non fan to make the advertisers happy. If a ref crew wants to be a part and get the job($$$$$) he must follow the "rules" , which consist of a directive to call the game tight or loose. Please don't be naive enough to believe it doesn't happen. The brackets are set up to accommodate the final outcome.

i.e. Gonzaga didn't have a chance.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See ya Kentucky!

Just a great, great NCAA game.

I think it's going to be a real challenge for Wisconsin to get over such a great win fast enough to turn it around and do it again Monday. Sure hope they do though.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If they saw the same replays we did, how do you not see enough to change that call?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
35 minutes of great basketball and then 5 minutes of the refs making sure Duke didn't lose. Unreal.

clean block called a foul, Jones jumps in gets the ball, Jones flops gets the call. Winslow charges gets a 3 point play. Winslow steps out of bounds, hops one one foot and Duke scores. Winslow clearly touches the ball, they have a still frame of it, and the refs don't reverse the call.

Bo Ryan is a better man than me, I'd have been ejected if I were coaching and that happened.

Jones and Allen were terrific for Duke, but the refs ruined the game.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
35 minutes of great basketball and then 5 minutes of the refs making sure Duke didn't lose. Unreal.

clean block called a foul, Jones jumps in gets the ball, Jones flops gets the call. Winslow charges gets a 3 point play. Winslow steps out of bounds, hops one one foot and Duke scores. Winslow clearly touches the ball, they have a still frame of it, and the refs don't reverse the call.

Bo Ryan is a better man than me, I'd have been ejected if I were coaching and that happened.

No question. Jones and the refs defeated Wisconsin. Plus, Dekker not showing up hurt too. Unfortunately this fantastic tournament had to end like this with pathetic officials being part of the outcome. Seems to me that college officiating (football too) is getting worse every year. Is it because players are much faster that it is difficult for them to follow or what?

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
The starters for Wisconsin played heavy minutes. They only used 2 bench players.

For Duke only 2 of their starters played more than 30 minutes.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was pulling for Wisconsin, but felt that Grayson Allen played with more heart and passion in the second half than Kaminiski or anyone on Wisconsin. Who thought he'd put up 16? I thought he was the difference.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So now we have 2 eye witness accounts of that no reversal on the ball out of bounds.

Jerry Palm said he overheard 2 of the refs say we THINK it's out off Winslow but we can't be sure.

Dana O'Neill of ESPN said she heard the supervisor of officials, John Adams(?) clearly tell the refs not to make the final call until they looked at the last replay, which was the one that showed the ball touching Winslow's finger. So they said they weren't sure, their boss told them don't make the call until you see that replay, and they still made the wrong call?

There's another story out there of Bo Ryan being told by a ref that Winslow didn't step out of bounds he "hopped on one foot to stay inbounds." To which Ryan responded "and that's not a travel?"

Unreal

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Players do not need to shave points. The refs have that under control.

Reaction score

There should be an investigation into the officiating in that game! I had no dog in the fight, i.e. - didn't care which team won, but I was disgusted by the outcome of the game. The officials plainly gave the game to Duke. If I were Wisconsin's AD (Barry Alverez) I would certainly be making a stink about it.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There should be an investigation into the officiating in that game! I had no dog in the fight, i.e. - didn't care which team won, but I was disgusted by the outcome of the game. The officials plainly gave the game to Duke. If I were Wisconsin's AD (Barry Alverez) I would certainly be making a stink about it.

I think the concern for me is the game was called one way one half and then the other way the other half. apparently Coach K sarcastically saying we can't get them to foul us was all it took to get 13 fouls called on Wisconsin in the 2nd half. Wisconsin doesn't foul, their players literally concede shots to avoid getting in foul trouble.

Jones flops and gets the call, Winslow runs over guys on 2 separate plays and the result is one no call and one foul on Wisconsin. There's no consistency at all.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The good coaches figure out early in the game which way the refs will call a game and then make the adjustments. Big 10 ball is notorious for "letting them play", but this was not a Big 10 crew. Most likely it was a mixed league crew and that sucks for consistency. Of course there is always the possibility that blow outs are not allowed and the refs adjusted as instructed.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The good coaches figure out early in the game which way the refs will call a game and then make the adjustments. Big 10 ball is notorious for "letting them play", but this was not a Big 10 crew. Most likely it was a mixed league crew and that sucks for consistency. Of course there is always the possibility that blow outs are not allowed and the refs adjusted as instructed.

And the supervisor of refs has now admitted they did NOT see the replay before they made the call Duke ball. He said he saw it but the refs had already returned to the court, he had a chance to "buzz them back" and change the call but opted not to.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab...saw-what-everybody-saw-at-home-213242341.html

Seems John Adams doesn't get that their job is to get the call right.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Stupid that in 2015 they don't have every replay available to them. It's not a question of technology, or lack of resources.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score

The worst ref dominated game involving Duke was against Gonzaga. As I said earlier. Gonzaga did not have a chance.

Imagine the viewership if the Final involved a Wichita State/Gonzaga game for the championship.

Really fine article Russ. It ain't just foul calls that decide games it is more likely the non calls. Blowing through screens, subtle pushes on shots, over the back non calls, etc.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The worst ref dominated game involving Duke was against Gonzaga. As I said earlier. Gonzaga did not have a chance.

Imagine the viewership if the Final involved a Wichita State/Gonzaga game for the championship.

Really fine article Russ. It ain't just foul calls that decide games it is more likely the non calls. Blowing through screens, subtle pushes on shots, over the back non calls, etc.

A guy I know who's a Duke fan blasted the article and said that both of those videos are wrong, in both cases by the letter of the rule they made the right call. Wisconsin player is not in front of Jones so if Jones jumps into him when he's moving it's a defensive foul. Jones has position so the contact is a charge by the letter of the rule.

I then pointed out that if you want to go by letter of rule not how the game is normally called, then Jefferson set a moving screen prior to jones taking that shot. It's not even debatable he pivoted around trying to screen the Wisconsin player. He didn't touch him but the rule doesn't care because if you move, the defender has to go around you.

on the flop by Jones, if you watch that one, Jones has his hand on the hip of the Wisconsin player prior to the ball arriving, that is not allowed. The letter of the rule is quite clear on that.

But in real practice, they only call moving screens if you hit the defender, and often not even then. And they only call arm bars in the post, not hand checks.

he still hasn't responded to that, he insists letter of rule both calls were right he just wants to choose which part of the letter of the rule is enforced.