2014 Off Season Thread

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There will be bidding wars for both guys. Teams with deeper pockets will get them (CHC, BOS, LAA, TEX, etc)

Shields is old (will be 34 next year), I would rather they go after Edinson Volquez or Francisco Liriano, both would be cheaper and are younger.

Maeda, I've read wants to play for NYY or BOS, both are expected to bid once he's posted.

so he's gonna be a big ticket free agent. great. are they expecting a salary similar to tanaka's?

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
so he's gonna be a big ticket free agent. great. are they expecting a salary similar to tanaka's?

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/05/kenta-maeda-the-next-100-million-japanese-pitcher/

Article is a little over a month old but gives a little insight. Stewart has made it known he likes Maeda and ARZ will bid once he's posted but it will become a bidding war and with Tanaka already in NY, he may feel more comfortable playing with his fellow countryman.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/05/kenta-maeda-the-next-100-million-japanese-pitcher/

Article is a little over a month old but gives a little insight. Stewart has made it known he likes Maeda and ARZ will bid once he's posted but it will become a bidding war and with Tanaka already in NY, he may feel more comfortable playing with his fellow countryman.

Oh ok, in that case i don't want him anywhere near my team. we can't afford to lock up that kind of money anyways, but if we were to do something that drastic i'd want it to be on a known commodity

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thrilled to see us bring in an entire analytics department. We've made a lot of stupid moves the last few years that those kind of numbers would have screamed at us not to do.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thrilled to see us bring in an entire analytics department. We've made a lot of stupid moves the last few years that those kind of numbers would have screamed at us not to do.

It is a welcome sign

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You mean like the kind of numbers that tell you not to trade for a pitcher like Hellickson?

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You mean like the kind of numbers that tell you not to trade for a pitcher like Hellickson?

it's just me and you buddy, and we're up against a lot of people who think that was a good trade

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

it's just me and you buddy, and we're up against a lot of people who think that was a good trade

I am on the fence. Velazquez had a very impressive year in A ball I mean really impressive but Williams is the guy I feel will be a star, for a kid that just turned 19 he has the tools, knock on him was lack of power with only 5 HR's in 2 years but hitting .351 with an OBP of .401 is quite impressive even if it is A ball.

ARZ needed SP, I feel Hellickson is more of a #3 than a #2 but ARZ needs a couple of SP's as Corbin is going to be out until June or July and Bradley is really struggling as of late. I would have preferred signing a couple of SP's like Volquez and Liriano as stop gaps especially considering Hellickson is a Bora's client and Bora's will most likely demand more than ARZ is willing to pay in a couple of years when Hellickson becomes a FA. I am also concerned that Hellickson missed most of last year with elbow issues that required surgery.

The fact that ARZ is showing interest in Shields also concerns me as he is at best a #2 but will get paid like an ace and will be 33 years old. Also, if ARZ is interested in bringing in Chad Billingsley I am really questioning what the new regime is doing as he missed nearly 2 whole years because of TJ surgery and other injuries.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score

I wonder what the analytics dept will say about starting Mark Trumbo in right field.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Not only senior VP of baseball operations De Jon Watson but also GM Dave Stewart have been making the rounds internationally, tweets Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com, who notes that the Diamondbacks are hoping to “make waves” in the international market. On the domestic front, Didi Gregorius is drawing the most interest on the trade market among the team’s middle infielders, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports tweets.

I wonder what this means. The only internation player I'm aware of is Maeda and Yasmany Tomas.

Tomas is a R/R outfielder, 24 year old.

Upside: .275/.350/.480 with 25-30 homers, fringy defense & baserunning value in left field

Obviously we won't be pursuing outfielders, right?...right?

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
Dbacks add OF Socrates Brito, 2B/3B Brandon Drury, And pitchers Will Locante, Kevin Munson, and AJ Schugel to the 40 man roster and DFA Mike Bolsinger and Charles Brewer

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I'm not wild about that move, but its worth noting it took place before they created this new analytics department.

I do think the team needs to bring in some short term fixes at starter. They obviously are not going to compete for the playoffs next season but they cannot afford to be horrible again either. The fan base made a valliant showing by averaging 25k a game for that turd of a team, I don't think their faith is strong enough to sustain several years of basement play though.

But I don't think shipping off more guys from our depleted farm system is the answer. Hellickson has a pulse, but I think they could have gotten similar talent out of the bargain bin in free agency.
I wonder what the analytics dept will say about starting Mark Trumbo in right field.

Analytics say playing Mark Trumbo anywhere is a dubious move.

I wonder what this means. The only internation player I'm aware of is Maeda and Yasmany Tomas.

Tomas is a R/R outfielder, 24 year old.

Obviously we won't be pursuing outfielders, right?...right?

They need to bring in talent, regardless of position. We may have a lot of guys in the position but Pollack is the only OF that I feel pretty confident as a legit starting quality talent.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
We may have a lot of guys in the position but Pollack is the only OF that I feel pretty confident as a legit starting quality talent.
You don't feel that David Peralta has earned the right to hold his starting job?

I do.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I want to give Stewart a chance and kept quiet about that trade but in my opinion, Tampa won that trade.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You don't feel that David Peralta has earned the right to hold his starting job?

I do.

I'm not saying we should kick him to the curb, but do I feel that his talent precludes us from pursuing other quality outfielders or, even less, feel completely confident that he is a starting caliber player? No. I don't.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I'm not saying we should kick him to the curb, but do I feel that his talent precludes us from pursuing other quality outfielders or, even less, feel completely confident that he is a starting caliber player? No. I don't.
Fair enough. Thanks for your response. That would apply to alot of young OR marginal starting position players.

Although I would consider moving Mark Trumbo and Cody Ross as higher priorities. Trumbo to a team looking for a 1B or DH and Ross because he is marginal and blocking a roster spot.

Edit: I just saw that you made reference to the same thing in another thread.

Last edited:

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/5889/wade-miley

According to Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald, the Marlins have discussed the possibility of trading for LHP Wade Miley.
The Marlins are in the market for a veteran starter and could potentially trade Nathan Eovaldi (4.37 ERA in 199+ innings in 2014) or another pitching prospect. Last season with the Diamondbacks, Miley was 8-12 with a 4.34 ERA and a 183/75 K/BB ratio in 201+ innings. Nov 23 - 2:38 PM
Source: Miami Herald

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Fair enough. Thanks for your response. That would apply to alot of young OR marginal starting position players.

Although I would consider moving Mark Trumbo and Cody Ross as higher priorities. Trumbo to a team looking for a 1B or DH and Ross because he is marginal and blocking a roster spot.

Edit: I just saw that you made reference to the same thing in another thread.

Yeah, I'm down for cutting the fat for sure, but we also desperately need talent. First base is the only position that we can say, for sure, we have a premium talent at. Pollack and Goldy are keepers, we could and should be open to bringing in guys with potential everywhere else.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The Diamondbacks have “legit” interest in Yasmany Tomas, a league executive tells ESPN.com’s Jerry Crasnick (Twitter link). They are one of about a handful of clubs currently chasing the Cuban slugger.

from mlbtraderumors.com

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
Dbacks trade Mike Bolsinger to Dodgers for cash.

Dbacks trade Charles Brewer to Indians for cash.

Last edited:

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Diamondbacks have “legit” interest in Yasmany Tomas, a league executive tells ESPN.com’s Jerry Crasnick (Twitter link). They are one of about a handful of clubs currently chasing the Cuban slugger.

from mlbtraderumors.com

We won't get him