2014 Off Season Thread

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
No Goldy, no Chris Owings, no A.J. Pollock....Marte isn't on the team anymore, where did that screenshot even come from?

It's from ESPN.COM. It must be what the depth chart was at the end of the season.

I am not so sure Owings or Pollock would make a difference.

Last edited:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's from ESPN.COM. It must be what the depth chart was at the end of the season.

I am not so sure Owings, Pollock would make a huge difference.

Yes, they would.

Pollock was putting together a nice season before he was hurt, Owings was as well.

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
Winter meetings start this week.

We won't be going after Scherzer Shields or Lester.

We have to upgrade our starting rotation.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Winter meetings start this week.

We won't be going after Scherzer Shields or Lester.

We have to upgrade our starting rotation.
I've read guys like Liriano, Santana, Volquez, Masterson & Billingsley are whom ARZ is interested in. If Montero is dealt they could look at Geovany Soto.

Japes

Reaction score
We should trade Montero. Love the guy but a solid hitting left handed hitter with a BIG contract just doesn't fit into the Diamondbacks plans right now. If you can get a #3/4 starter out of him and maybe a lower level prospect I think they should do it.

IMO, the only set position players in my opinion are Goldy (1B) Hill (2B), Pollock (CF), Peralta (RF/LF) Trumbo needs to accept platooning, or just trade him if you can get decent value for him (unlikely)

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Heard the Rays are trying to move Hellickson, the DBacks are being losely talked about as a potential trade candidate.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
We should trade Montero. Love the guy but a solid hitting left handed hitter with a BIG contract just doesn't fit into the Diamondbacks plans right now. If you can get a #3/4 starter out of him and maybe a lower level prospect I think they should do it.

IMO, the only set position players in my opinion are Goldy (1B) Hill (2B), Pollock (CF), Peralta (RF/LF) Trumbo needs to accept platooning, or just trade him if you can get decent value for him (unlikely)
I agree with you about trading Montero now, while his value is reasonably high after two disappointing seasons.

And I agree that a big contract doesn't fit into the D'backs plans.

But I believe, as I did before we got Trumbo, that a solid left handed cleanup hitter would best protect Goldy in the lineup. Hopefully we can find one. Montero took a nosedive when forced into that role.

I actually think the D'backs should consider moving Goldy to cleanup, putting less pressure on the lefty middle-of-the-order hitter I am suggesting to hit behind him.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
braves might be tyring to move evan gattis. if we moved miggy, he could easliy slide into that role for the next several years

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Heard the Rays are trying to move Hellickson, the DBacks are being losely talked about as a potential trade candidate.

braves might be tyring to move evan gattis. if we moved miggy, he could easliy slide into that role for the next several years

What would they cost ARZ in terms of prospects do you think? Stewart & La Russa seem reluctant to deal one of the Big 3 (Bradley, Shipley & Touissant), could Hellickson be had without giving one of them up...not sure. What would ATL want for Gattis, probably pitching, plus he is a lot like Trumbo, a DH who can't play anywhere because he's a terrible fielder.

I seriously think ARZ signs Billingsley and one of Liriano/Volquez/Santana (all have been given QO's but ARZ's #1 pick is protected so it makes sense rather than trading prospects unless someone on the big league roster can bring a SP or hitter.

Last edited:

Matt L

Reaction score
Well here's what I show for the lineup:

C - Montero
1B - Paul Goldschmidt/Mark Trumbo
2B - Aaron Hill
SS - Chris Owings/Didi Gregorius
3B - Jake Lamb
CF - AJ Pollock
RF - David Peralta
LF - Ender Enciarte

And here is what I can find for the Salaries for our roster:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/ARI/2014-payroll-salaries.shtml

C - If rumors are true, the front office is looking to trade Montero for salary relief and possibly a back end starting pitcher. It makes sense to move him to get the contract off of the books but there is not a lot of Catching depth in the system. Geovany Soto appears to be the best free agent catcher available, that may make his price more than the DBacks are willing to pay. Nick Hundley is another option but he really isn't much better than a backup. JP Arencibia is a Free Agent and has a lot of power, but I am thinking another team will overpay for those power numbers. Ultimately, if we really believe that the Catcher of the future is in the minor leagues, we should move Montero and sign one or two of the available free agents to a one to two year deals. I don't think it would be a bad idea to pay 2 guys $1-$2 million per year for 2 seasons and have them platoon as the while we develop our own guy in the minors.

1B - Goldschmidt is our MVP and hopefully will return to form from his injury. Mark Trumbo has a lot of pop and would be okay at 1B if Goldy gets hurt again.

2B - Aaron Hill had a terrible year and is owed $24 million over the next two years. I doubt another team wants to take on his salary let alone give up a potential player or two. I think it would be wise to hope he has a good first half and then see what a team might offer for him at the trade deadline. If he is traded, I wouldn't mind seeing the team sign Jed Lowrie for a couple years to fill in at 2B.

SS - I like Chris Owings. He has solid defense and can produce offensively. According to the rumor mill, Didi is drawing some interest at the GM Meetings. Hopefully somebody is willing to give up a young starting pitcher or two for him. Nick Ahmed didn't do anything that really jumped out but he may develop into what Cliff Pennington currently provides (backup shortstop/2B).

3B - Jake Lamb did not show much while up but is pretty young and has upside. He put some good numbers in the minor leagues so he may develop into a solid option at 3B. At one time, we had a lot of interest in Chase Headley. Chase is a free agent but the rumor mill indicates he will sign with the NY Yankees, the team he was traded to last season. I would applaud signing him but I think he may want to stay in New York and he may ask for more money than we are willing to spend. Brandon Drury is developing in the minors at 3B and may be a late season call up depending on how Jake Lamb plays.

OF - AJ Pollock is going to start in center field. He has great defense and was starting to put up some good number offensively before he got hurt. Peralta was a solid contributor last year and I hope he can start in one of the corners. I think Ender is a good 4th outfielder to have with his solid defense and speed on the bases. Mark Trumbo should not be playing in the outfield. His defense is a liability and what he brings offensively does not make up for the runs he gives up. Cody Ross is probably not going anywhere and will probably get some starts as a corner outfielder. One free agent that I wouldn't mind the team giving a shot at would be Mike Carp. He was once a highly touted prospect who never really lived up to his potential. In 2013 he had some good games for the Red Sox but this summer he reverted to his previous play. I don't think he would break the bank and he could be part of a platoon in one the corner outfield spots.

If we can somehow move Montero and Aaron Hill before the end of next season, we will have cleared the crappy contracts that the previous front office signed and be able to start over with Paul Goldschmidt in his prime.

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
Jeremy Hellickson traded to Dbacks for minor league prospects

This bolsters our starting rotation

Last edited:

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...re-jeremy-hellickson-tampa-bay-rays/19065685/

OF Justin Williams & SS Andrew Velazquez from A-ball go to TB. Williams could end up being a stud as he was ARZ's 2013 2nd round pick out of HS and has some major upside.

I like the move. Gotta give to get... And Williams and Velazquez are at least 4 years away from playing in the bigs... Hellickson was great his first two years in the bigs. At 27, he should be able to get back to that form.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt L

Reaction score
I like the move too. Hellickson is a risk but could pay off big for us for the next two seasons.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
hellickson sucks, lets be honest folks

Sucks? How can you say that a guy with a career ERA of 3.78, a career WHIP of 1.26, and a career average of 6.5 K's per 9 innings "sucks?" :shrug:

Is he an ace? Of course not. Did you expect that we were going to somehow grab a Kershaw via a trade?
Get real dude... He should be a solid #3, maybe even a #2 for us... Nobody is expecting anymore than that.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The only thing that concerns me is injuries. Hellickson missed some significant time last year and had elbow surgery last May. Plus the big thing is he is a Boras client so he most likely will only be here 2 years.

I think he definitely upgrades the rotation. Will ARZ bring in another SP? I know there are a lot of names out there other than Lester, Shields & Scherzer but I think ARZ goes FA route than another trade, probably Chad Billingsley who is being linked with ARZ because of Stewart. I am leery of Billingsley as he missed all last year and the year before with injuries. I would like Liriano but ARZ would have to give up their 2nd round pick for him which is the first pick in Round 2 so its valuable. I hope ARZ takes a look at Edinson Volquez as he had a really good year for PIT last season and was not QO'd so no compensation for signing him.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
The only thing that concerns me is injuries. Hellickson missed some significant time last year and had elbow surgery last May. Plus the big thing is he is a Boras client so he most likely will only be here 2 years.

I think he definitely upgrades the rotation. Will ARZ bring in another SP? I know there are a lot of names out there other than Lester, Shields & Scherzer but I think ARZ goes FA route than another trade, probably Chad Billingsley who is being linked with ARZ because of Stewart. I am leery of Billingsley as he missed all last year and the year before with injuries. I would like Liriano but ARZ would have to give up their 2nd round pick for him which is the first pick in Round 2 so its valuable. I hope ARZ takes a look at Edinson Volquez as he had a really good year for PIT last season and was not QO'd so no compensation for signing him.

Thought I read a quote from Stewart the other day where he specifically stated his intention is to add at least one more starter, if not two more...

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sucks? How can you say that a guy with a career ERA of 3.78, a career WHIP of 1.26, and a career average of 6.5 K's per 9 innings "sucks?" :shrug:

Is he an ace? Of course not. Did you expect that we were going to somehow grab a Kershaw via a trade?
Get real dude... He should be a solid #3, maybe even a #2 for us... Nobody is expecting anymore than that.

Look at his era over the last 2 years. He pitched 68 innings last year. He just had surgery on his arm. His fastball is 90 mph. He has no "out" pitches.

What's to like again?

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Look at his era over the last 2 years. He pitched 68 innings last year. He just had surgery on his arm. His fastball is 90 mph. He has no "out" pitches.

What's to like again?

You said he sucks. I said he doesn't... I said he's not an ace... Guess we'll see...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'd be shocked. I give this about a 0.1% chance of happening.

What about that Japanese player Kenta Maeda we've been linked to? any word?

There will be bidding wars for both guys. Teams with deeper pockets will get them (CHC, BOS, LAA, TEX, etc)

Shields is old (will be 34 next year), I would rather they go after Edinson Volquez or Francisco Liriano, both would be cheaper and are younger.

Maeda, I've read wants to play for NYY or BOS, both are expected to bid once he's posted.

Last edited: