2014 Off Season Thread

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thats okay with me. In the MLB those kinds of guys are available constantly, whether through trade or FA, the team needs to take some time to evaluate where the holes really are before they spend a huge portion of the payroll on one position while the rest of the roster is still non-competitive. The team needs to fix its foundations before they make some swing for the fences moves.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats okay with me. In the MLB those kinds of guys are available constantly, whether through trade or FA, the team needs to take some time to evaluate where the holes really are before they spend a huge portion of the payroll on one position while the rest of the roster is still non-competitive. The team needs to fix its foundations before they make some swing for the fences moves.

Yup - we aren't going to break .500 with him this year, so no reason to hamper the future.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Yup - we aren't going to break .500 with him this year, so no reason to hamper the future.
If Yasmany Tomas can make the team and break into the starting lineup (especially at 3B), we might break .500 without a Shields.

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
This is our projected starting rotation

1. Josh Collmenter
2. Rubby De La Rosa
3. Jeremy Hellickson
4. Allen Webster
5. To be determined

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score

1. Josh Collmenter
2. Rubby De La Rosa
3. Jeremy Hellickson
4. Allen Webster
5. To be determined

La Rosa and Webster are real wild cards but we better have a really good offense and bullpen with that starting rotation.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
La Rosa and Webster are real wild cards but we better have a really good offense and bullpen with that starting rotation.

Problem is they don't. Other than Tomas, there wasn't a helpful piece brought in, mostly prospects that are a few years away. Tomas would have a ROY type season to help this offense.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score

1. Josh Collmenter
2. Rubby De La Rosa
3. Jeremy Hellickson
4. Allen Webster
5. To be determined

Not going to lie, that's pretty bad. Not sure on what planet Collmenter is a No.1 and our management is ok rolling into the season with him there. I know very little about most of the rest. Though De La Rosa doesn't look like a No. 2 to me.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Yasmany Tomas can make the team and break into the starting lineup (especially at 3B), we might break .500 without a Shields.

Hmm...

1. Josh Collmenter
2. Rubby De La Rosa
3. Jeremy Hellickson
4. Allen Webster
5. To be determined

Yeah... we're a lot further than a surprise breakout player at 3rd from being .500. If those are our starting pitchers then we'll be lucky to win 60 games. They desperately need some of our young pitching prospects to make a leap.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm...

Yeah... we're a lot further than a surprise breakout player at 3rd from being .500. If those are our starting pitchers then we'll be lucky to win 60 games. They desperately need some of our young pitching prospects to make a leap.

I am the ultimate homer and I think 60 wins is a stretch. But I also don't think those will be our starters, but are still going to be really bad.

NavyVet

Registered
Reaction score

1. Josh Collmenter
2. Rubby De La Rosa
3. Jeremy Hellickson
4. Allen Webster
5. To be determined

Are we discounting Patrick Corbin, Daniel Hudson, Bronson Arroyo, Chase Anderson, and Vidal Nuno as potential 2015 starters? I don't think we're that bad off and we have some rookie potential.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are we discounting Patrick Corbin, Daniel Hudson, Bronson Arroyo, Chase Anderson, and Vidal Nuno as potential 2015 starters? I don't think we're that bad off and we have some rookie potential.

Hudson's days are a starter are over based on what was said at the end of last season. Vidal Nuno and Chase Anderson are both in the opening day mix. Patrick Corbin and Bronson Arroyo are both All-Star break additions after coming back from Tommy John. Corbin maybe a bit ealier, but why rush him is the season is lost.

I could also see Andrew Chafin and Trevor Cahill getting chances in spring. And if Archie has a great spring, he could be in the mix too.

Side note, Chase Anderson had better numebrs than Wade did last season. Interesting.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As Bruce said, Huddy is done as a starter, I don't think we will see Corbin until July, at the earliest, and the others I'm not holding my breath on either their ability or health. Yes, some are better than the frightening list FArting posted earlier but, other than Corbin, its still a list a of #4 starters.

I wouldn't be surprised if Arroyo never pitches again, and assuming the Dbacks would get insurance to cover his contract, they'd probably be better off if he didnt.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
As Bruce said, Huddy is done as a starter, I don't think we will see Corbin until July, at the earliest, and the others I'm not holding my breath on either their ability or health. Yes, some are better than the frightening list FArting posted earlier but, other than Corbin, its still a list a of #4 starters.

I wouldn't be surprised if Arroyo never pitches again, and assuming the Dbacks would get insurance to cover his contract, they'd probably be better off if he didnt.

ThTs the worst starting 5 in the big leagues. Our weakness from last year got worse

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
Keith Law lists our top three pitching prospects in the top 50 prospects in the minors. One of those guys has to turn into a good starter. That must be the plan, hold down for the fort for the first year, have a bunch of guys that won't block our future starters and give Corbin a half season to get back in the game and then contend in 2016!

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
My guess for the opening day rotation is:

1) Hellickson
2) Collmentor
3) Cahill
4) Bradley
5) Anderson

Hellickson and Collmentor are what passes for established veterans atop the rotation. Cahill gets trotted out because of his salary. Archie Bradley goes fourth because the fifth starter is usually skipped over often in the first month of the season.

The D'backs have a dozen guys who can make a case for or against a spot in the rotation next spring. I wouldn't say any one is locked in or out of the rotation at this point in time.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
My guess for the opening day rotation is:

1) Hellickson
2) Collmentor
3) Cahill
4) Bradley
5) Anderson

Hellickson and Collmentor are what passes for established veterans atop the rotation. Cahill gets trotted out because of his salary. Archie Bradley goes fourth because the fifth starter is usually skipped over often in the first month of the season.

The D'backs have a dozen guys who can make a case for or against a spot in the rotation next spring. I wouldn't say any one is locked in or out of the rotation at this point in time.

Looking at that potential rotation, you have to think the #1 pick in the draft is going to be either Matuella or Kirby, an ace that will be ready for a big league roster in a year. They have potential in Yoan Lopez so no need to go after a HS kid that could take years before he makes the bigs.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I dont know much about next years draft crop, but if there is a college kid with a big big bat that would be my preference. Those guys have projected very well in recent years.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I dont know much about next years draft crop, but if there is a college kid with a big big bat that would be my preference. Those guys have projected very well in recent years.

There is no Kris Bryant type of college bat this year, in fact most mocks have ARZ taking HS SS Brendan Rogers #1. Not a big kid (6'1 190) but has power, a strong arm and is projected to stay at SS. I can't see ARZ taking him though as he will take a few years to get to the majors. Matuella is drawing criticism for lack of body work (really small amount of innings pitched) and injury concerns but he is 6'7 220 with a 4 pitch arsenal including a mid 90's fastball and the lack of innings means less miles on the arm so maybe that's a plus. Brady Aiken, if healthy would be #1 pick again but unlike other sports MLB teams do not have access to medical records so taking Aiken would be a gamble as he has not thrown a pitch in almost a year despite claiming to be injury free. He also has not picked a team (college or Independent League) to pitch for which only fuels speculation that HOU may have been wise not to sign him as they have the #2 & #5 picks this year because of that. Nathan Kirby may be the best college LHP but it would be a shock if he went #1.

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
This is what Doug Franz thinks

The starting rotation is unimpressive. The offense appears weak on paper. Defense looks good but has a hole depending on who starts.
La Russa didn't say any of those things. That's how I felt going into the conversation. After listening to La Russa, my opinion hasn't changed. I think the Diamondbacks are going to struggle to reach third place in the West. After listening to La Russa, I'm not concerned, either. Speaking to him during commercial breaks is even more eye-opening than on-air. No one matches humility and confidence better than La Russa.
I'm buying stock in the La Russa way. Over time, things will turn around for the Diamondbacks. My concern is La Russa's success has so much to do with his ability to communicate with players and out-think the opposing manager. Neither of those two skills will do him much good in his executive role. The issue is fitting those strengths into his current role.

http://arizonasports.com/58/1807224...k-Kevin-Guy-Tony-La-Russa-and-Andrew-Barroway

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

It's not so much how the offseason went for ARZ, I mean they didn't have a lot of talent to begin with so of course it was crazy to think they would turn it around next year. What upsets me is that TLR said we would not lose 100 games next year and that he expected ARZ to competitive next year, the moves that were made speak the opposite. TLR should have pulled a Theo Epstein and said this is a major rebuild and its going to take a few years to get this team out of the gutter.