2014 D'Backs Offseason

OP
OP
overseascardfan

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hearing Bloomquist is close to signing with the Mariners... bummer. He's a great guy. Hate to see him leave... :(

I honestly don't think ARZ will make any big moves (trades included) this offseason. I think Davidson & Owings will be the major additions to the big league roster. I'm okay with that because I worry Towers will try and make a big splash and end up getting taken to the cleaners in a trade.

Also, just saw in today's AZ Republic that Daniel Hudson was non tendered and is now a FA. Guess ARZ doesn't think he'll ever be the same.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I honestly don't think ARZ will make any big moves (trades included) this offseason. I think Davidson & Owings will be the major additions to the big league roster. I'm okay with that because I worry Towers will try and make a big splash and end up getting taken to the cleaners in a trade.

Also, just saw in today's AZ Republic that Daniel Hudson was non tendered and is now a FA. Guess ARZ doesn't think he'll ever be the same.

I liked Willie, but ok with not re-signing.

I think the Dbacks would like to re-sign Hudson, but not for a tender offer

OP
OP
overseascardfan

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I am really worried about what ARZ would have to pay for a bat and top of the rotation SP. I think Bradley & Davidson/Owings will help next year. ARZ will have to part with most of their farm system to land a bat & SP, so much for trades being the best option. I think they should go OAK and start bringing up young guys and see where they take the club.

The good thing is that ARZ really doesn't have any positions open in their lineup so they aren't desperate to fill spots. They could use a power hitter but it could be added later. Another SP would be nice but they have a surplus of SP's. I would just see where they are at the deadline with Bradley, Owings & Davidson in the big leagues, if they are contending and need a piece then maybe make a big move, if not then continue with the youth movement. Supposedly, ARZ is clearing cap for the 2015 offseason so maybe they wait, its not like they are going to challenge LA in terms of payroll so it will be hard to over take them in the division.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I am really worried about what ARZ would have to pay for a bat and top of the rotation SP. I think Bradley & Davidson/Owings will help next year. ARZ will have to part with most of their farm system to land a bat & SP, so much for trades being the best option. I think they should go OAK and start bringing up young guys and see where they take the club.

The good thing is that ARZ really doesn't have any positions open in their lineup so they aren't desperate to fill spots. They could use a power hitter but it could be added later. Another SP would be nice but they have a surplus of SP's. I would just see where they are at the deadline with Bradley, Owings & Davidson in the big leagues, if they are contending and need a piece then maybe make a big move, if not then continue with the youth movement. Supposedly, ARZ is clearing cap for the 2015 offseason so maybe they wait, its not like they are going to challenge LA in terms of payroll so it will be hard to over take them in the division.

In order to improve, the team will have to make additional moves other than unloading Heath Bell and watching Willie Bloomquist walk away...
Everyone knows - including KT, that they need a power-hitting corner outfielder. I have no clue how he will make that happen, or, if the conditions will conspire in such a way to allow it to happen. But the need to there and it's glaring.
Additionally, while it's fun to continue to chat-up Bradley, the chances of him seeing time in the bigs at all next year are stacked against him. Doesn't mean it won't happen, but, for a 21 year old kid who has had only 2 years in the minors - none at the AAA level, the odds are not in his favor. Which means we absolutely need to explore whatever options are available to grab a legit #1 or, at minimum a 2+. Again, have no idea how that might happen, or, if the conditions will set up to allow it to happen. But, the need is there...slightly less glaring than the power-hitting corner outfielder, but it's quite bright none the less...

KT is on record, saying his desire is to fill the above two slots, while also adding quality depth to the pen. I would be surprised if none of this is addressed and he takes a holding pattern approach to 2014.

OP
OP
overseascardfan

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
In order to improve, the team will have to make additional moves other than unloading Heath Bell and watching Willie Bloomquist walk away...
Everyone knows - including KT, that they need a power-hitting corner outfielder. I have no clue how he will make that happen, or, if the conditions will conspire in such a way to allow it to happen. But the need to there and it's glaring.
Additionally, while it's fun to continue to chat-up Bradley, the chances of him seeing time in the bigs at all next year are stacked against him. Doesn't mean it won't happen, but, for a 21 year old kid who has had only 2 years in the minors - none at the AAA level, the odds are not in his favor. Which means we absolutely need to explore whatever options are available to grab a legit #1 or, at minimum a 2+. Again, have no idea how that might happen, or, if the conditions will set up to allow it to happen. But, the need is there...slightly less glaring than the power-hitting corner outfielder, but it's quite bright none the less...

KT is on record, saying his desire is to fill the above two slots, while also adding quality depth to the pen. I would be surprised if none of this is addressed and he takes a holding pattern approach to 2014.

I think at some point this year Bradley will be called up. To get a legit #1 or #2 ARZ will have to trade him, Towers will not do that. So forget David Price who is the ONLY legit ACE available. Have you heard of the going rate for a hitter or SP is in terms of trade demands this offseason have been? ARZ will have to purge its farm system to fill the 2 needs Towers is looking to fill. Unless ARZ can find a team willing to settle for someone on the big league roster but only Pollock has been mentioned.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I think at some point this year Bradley will be called up. To get a legit #1 or #2 ARZ will have to trade him, Towers will not do that. So forget David Price who is the ONLY legit ACE available. Have you heard of the going rate for a hitter or SP is in terms of trade demands this offseason have been? ARZ will have to purge its farm system to fill the 2 needs Towers is looking to fill. Unless ARZ can find a team willing to settle for someone on the big league roster but only Pollock has been mentioned.

You're right of course... and the dilemma you illustrate here is not just this year... It's every year. Every year the Dbacks, and many other lower payroll teams face this same dilemma. They either have to empty their system to get themselves into position to go after top-tier talent, or, hope that their own drafting produces more Goldy's..., or, they take some chances on guys like Cody Ross, Heath Bell...
The Dbacks will never be in play for guys like Jacoby Ellsbury or Robinson Cano. And yet, many on this board consistently slam our GM for attempting to make the most of this dilemma. As if he's got the bank account of the Yankees, or, Red Sox, or Dodgers...

OP
OP
overseascardfan

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You're right of course... and the dilemma you illustrate here is not just this year... It's every year. Every year the Dbacks, and many other lower payroll teams face this same dilemma. They either have to empty their system to get themselves into position to go after top-tier talent, or, hope that their own drafting produces more Goldy's..., or, they take some chances on guys like Cody Ross, Heath Bell...
The Dbacks will never be in play for guys like Jacoby Ellsbury or Robinson Cano. And yet, many on this board consistently slam our GM for attempting to make the most of this dilemma. As if he's got the bank account of the Yankees, or, Red Sox, or Dodgers...

Me and you do see eye to eye. ARZ should really go with the OAK style of business. That is why I say stick with the farm, its what ARZ can afford, the problem is that ever since Mark Rizzo (whom I feel ARZ should have made its GM before he went to WAS) left, the farm system has really not been the same in terms of drafting talent. I personally would love to see what Bradley, Skaggs, Davidson, Owings, Barrett, Stites, Shipley, Trahan can do before dumping them for rentals and guys who will not help long term.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Me and you do see eye to eye. ARZ should really go with the OAK style of business. That is why I say stick with the farm, its what ARZ can afford, the problem is that ever since Mark Rizzo (whom I feel ARZ should have made its GM before he went to WAS) left, the farm system has really not been the same in terms of drafting talent. I personally would love to see what Bradley, Skaggs, Davidson, Owings, Barrett, Stites, Shipley, Trahan can do before dumping them for rentals and guys who will not help long term.

That sounds all well and good... however, in the real world, teams and fans are not nearly patient enough to simply draft players, let them ripen in the minors and then see what they produce in the bigs - if anything... Lord knows, most never reach a level that would allow them to stay in the bigs, if not entirely fail and drop out of baseball altogether...
The goal is to win championships, or, at least try hard toward that goal. For teams like the Dbacks, that goal can only be accomplished - realistically, by drafting exceedingly well and then using some of those draftees (or minor league up & coming talent acquired via trade), as an enticement to bring in quality free agents and/or upper tier talent via trade. That's just the way it is when you deal with a $100 million or so payroll...

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score

Bradley will probably be in the starting rotation next year. Why trade him and his cheap salary? We have 5 or more starting pitchers at next to nothing. I would rather see the $$ go towards bats and take our chances. We do not have the Doyers payroll. KT should not trade Bradley. IMO

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Strictly thinking aloud here, but I can't help but wonder if the near deal for Céspedes was just the beginning of talks for him and if something won't be done before long. God knows, it seems like Oakland and Arizona make a deal every off-season.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports spoke to a source who said the Diamondbacks are out on Shin-Soo Choo after acquiring Mark Trumbo and have now turned their focus to adding a front-line starting pitcher (Twitter link). Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports that the Diamondbacks have been in touch with Matt Garza's agent but notes that he also wouldn't rule out a trade centering around one of Arizona's young shortstops (Twitter links). Arizona is hesitant to sign pitchers to long-term deals, Piecoro adds.

I would be ok with Garza if he can stay healthy.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I would be ok with Garza if he can stay healthy.

Garza, if we can get him for a very reasonable price, would be nice IF his health holds up... Dude hasn't been healthy since 2011... It's a risk. But, if the price is right, I'd take a shot at him.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The way KT is handling the team is also an example of why having GMs on lame duck contracts is a terrible idea. The farm system is getting cleaned out as he feels he needs to "win now". Rather than attempt to build a sustainable roster he is mortgaging the future to try and preserve his job.

KT should have been fired at the end of last season when his grand vision of "grit" failed. Letting him stick around and change his philosophy on the fly is going to cause long term damage that will take years to repair after he is fired.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The way KT is handling the team is also an example of why having GMs on lame duck contracts is a terrible idea. The farm system is getting cleaned out as he feels he needs to "win now". Rather than attempt to build a sustainable roster he is mortgaging the future to try and preserve his job.
That is a good point. It sounds like what the Suns went through until this season with a lot of empty seats.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

KT should have been fired at the end of last season when his grand vision of "grit" failed. Letting him stick around and change his philosophy on the fly is going to cause long term damage that will take years to repair after he is fired.

LMAO... Got an early morning flight today... Thx for getting the day started with a smile! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
•ESPN's Jayson Stark hears that Matt Garza's camp is telling interested parties that he could sign within the next 24 to 48 hours (Twitter link). There's been a lot of Diamondbacks buzz, Stark adds.

If the deal is reasonable, I am ok with this. Then time to move on to the BP. There were some rumors that Davidson could go to the Royals for one of thier top Relievers.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WEDNESDAY: The Diamondbacks are getting interest in shortstops Didi Gregorius and Chris Owings and could still swing a trade for a starting pitcher, tweets Rosenthal.

GM Kevin Towers could include a current starter such as Trevor Cahill or Randall Delgado along with one of his shortstops in order to land a more established pitcher, Rosenthal adds. The Snakes have the depth to make that work, with Patrick Corbin, Wade Miley, Brandon McCarthy, Cahill and Delgado projected to fill out their 2014 rotation as it stands right now.

Who would you rather keep, Owings or Gregorius? Gregorius appears to be better defender, while Owings seems to be the better hitter.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Who would you rather keep, Owings or Gregorius? Gregorius appears to be better defender, while Owings seems to be the better hitter.

Man that's tough... I don't know if there is a clear choice. I guess as long as we have one of them, I'm cool...
Owings does seem to have greater potential at the plate, but man was he sketchy in the field... Was it just rookie jitters? Who knows. And DiDi is clearly one of the top fielding ss's in the game today. He hits just enough to earn his keep...
Tough call...

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man that's tough... I don't know if there is a clear choice. I guess as long as we have one of them, I'm cool...
Owings does seem to have greater potential at the plate, but man was he sketchy in the field... Was it just rookie jitters? Who knows. And DiDi is clearly one of the top fielding ss's in the game today. He hits just enough to earn his keep...
Tough call...

To me, solid D at SS is leading attribute

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
To me, solid D at SS is leading attribute

I tend to agree... I would much prefer the defense myself. But, like i said, not sure if the issues Owings had in the field last year were rookie jitters, or, is he simply sub-par defensively??

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Owings is considered a good defender, with much more offensive potential than Didi. I'd much rather keep Owings. (and completely expect Towers to do the opposite)