2014 Arizona Basketball

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I don't think anybody is going to stop UK from getting the 9th title this year unless they have more injuries.

They're just loaded.

That was a ridiculous game though, talk about shell shocked.

I think Duke is the only team that has a chance only because they have a great big and they have a bunch of guys who can make 3's, but their depth isn't nearly what UK's is

I repsctfully disagree but well see. I like Cauley Stein as a star player inside but I dont think anyone on UK is the type of wing guys offensively and defnesively RHJ and Stanley are. And I think we have enough size to cause them trouble.

I want Kentucky bad. Hope we get our swing.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Rebounding definitely not what it was last year. Missing AG on that and him and Nick's athleticism in the open court. Not getting many easy looks.

We have a +8.3 rebound margin (23rd in the nation) this season going against some teams with good size. Hunter exposed us a bit last Friday, but I think more effort from Ashley would've mitigated some of his offensive boards. We certainly have room to improve in the area, particularly if Zeus can put forth a better effort on the glass.

TJ

Reaction score
I repsctfully disagree but well see. I like Cauley Stein as a star player inside but I dont think anyone on UK is the type of wing guys offensively and defnesively RHJ and Stanley are. And I think we have enough size to cause them trouble.

Hopefully we get our chance (of course, in the Final Four) :D

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think UCLA could of embarrassed themselves any more today. Thankfully Alford got an extension. :)

Isn't it funny how people who talk trash on message boards often get it put right back on them a few nights later?

UCLA beat UNLV 101-60 in the "secret scrimmage" on November 8th.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm not saying UA wouldn't fare better than UCLA, obviously they would, but UK is freakishly long, athletic and deep.

Stanley's selfish tendencies cost you the game tonight although to be fair Rondae's 4th foul was a horrible call and UA probably wins if he's not sitting on the bench the last 7 minutes.

TJ

Reaction score
Isn't it funny how people who talk trash on message boards often get it put right back on them a few nights later?

UCLA beat UNLV 101-60 in the "secret scrimmage" on November 8th.

Took you less than 2 minutes after the game to troll the board. Well done.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took you less than 2 minutes after the game to troll the board. Well done.

Hey Lefty is a big boy, he can dish it out he can take it too no?

TJ

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Sweet. Refs missed a goal tend on Ashley's 3 point shot. :bang:

I digress. We were lazy on the boards. That's the real reason we lost.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Sweet. Refs missed a goal tend on Ashley's 3 point shot. :bang:

I digress. We were lazy on the boards. That's the real reason we lost.

The still makes it look like the hand hits the ball. If you see the vine it makes it look like the hand hits the net not the ball.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2014/12/24/unlv-knocks-arizona-amidst-late-game-controversy

And of course on the replay Johnson shoves Kendrick with 2 hands clear as day prior to the goaltend, moved him literally several feet to under the basket, maybe the ref didn't call it because he knew Kendrick was fouled

TJ

Reaction score
The still makes it look like the hand hits the ball. If you see the vine it makes it look like the hand hits the net not the ball.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2014/12/24/unlv-knocks-arizona-amidst-late-game-controversy

And of course on the replay Johnson shoves Kendrick with 2 hands clear as day prior to the goaltend, moved him literally several feet to under the basket, maybe the ref didn't call it because he knew Kendrick was fouled

So it's still goal tending as the defender can't touch the net when the ball is in the cylinder.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it's still goal tending as the defender can't touch the net when the ball is in the cylinder.

of course, but if you want letter of the rule, Johnson fouled Kendrick before Kendrick goaltended. I agree it was a goaltend, but it wasn't the only missed call on the play.

I usually don't like gottlieb much but I thought he nailed Arizona pretty well last night. Miller has a dilemma, they're a much better offensive team with York in(when he's making shots) because he spaces the floor. They're a much worse defensive team for 2 reasons, one he's often in for Rondae, two he's not a very good defender, especially against kids with strength. So Miller has to play a juggling act of play York when hes' hot, sit when he's not.

Last night Rondae got into foul trouble, the 4th was a terrible call. When he was in, UNLV was going one and one and not getting good looks for the most part because Rondae could either shut off Vaughn, or shut off Wood. When he was out, UA struggled to guard either guy.

I was never quite sure why Miller wasn't starting Rondae, usually spark off the bench is offense not defense and rebounding, but Rondae does energize. I think the problem is starting with SDSU, with the exception of Gardner Webb, Rondae has struggled offensively in every game so Miller is still playing that game of do I need his defense or do I need York. I assumed early that Johnson would eventually be so good on offense they wouldn't need York and then Rondae would start. Rondae is only playing 25 MPG 5th on the team. IMO he's UA's best player.

They keep talking about McConnell having to make moer shots, obviously he does, but I again agree with Gottlieb, UA doesn't throw the ball in to Tarc often enough and it makes them easier to defend when they don't.

I think the pieces are there but it's interesting, UNLV has now played 4 teams in the conference. UCLA played an exhibition 6 weeks ago and hammered them. Stanford beat them by 29 on a neutral court, and ASU beat them by 22 at ASU, and Utah beat them by 12, without Loveridge, in Vegas. UNLV is obviously young and getting better(in spite of their coach), but sort of interesting that UNLV was more competitive with UA than any other team in teh conference.

I still think UA wins the conference, but unbeaten sure seems unlikely, and it sure looks like Utah and UW might give them a fight.

TJ

Reaction score
RHJ needs to start, and Zeus and Ashley need to put in more effort.

15-3 and a good run in the tourney gets us the #1 seed

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
of course, but if you want letter of the rule, Johnson fouled Kendrick before Kendrick goaltended. I agree it was a goaltend, but it wasn't the only missed call on the play.

I usually don't like gottlieb much but I thought he nailed Arizona pretty well last night. Miller has a dilemma, they're a much better offensive team with York in(when he's making shots) because he spaces the floor. They're a much worse defensive team for 2 reasons, one he's often in for Rondae, two he's not a very good defender, especially against kids with strength. So Miller has to play a juggling act of play York when hes' hot, sit when he's not.

Last night Rondae got into foul trouble, the 4th was a terrible call. When he was in, UNLV was going one and one and not getting good looks for the most part because Rondae could either shut off Vaughn, or shut off Wood. When he was out, UA struggled to guard either guy.

I was never quite sure why Miller wasn't starting Rondae, usually spark off the bench is offense not defense and rebounding, but Rondae does energize. I think the problem is starting with SDSU, with the exception of Gardner Webb, Rondae has struggled offensively in every game so Miller is still playing that game of do I need his defense or do I need York. I assumed early that Johnson would eventually be so good on offense they wouldn't need York and then Rondae would start. Rondae is only playing 25 MPG 5th on the team. IMO he's UA's best player.

They keep talking about McConnell having to make moer shots, obviously he does, but I again agree with Gottlieb, UA doesn't throw the ball in to Tarc often enough and it makes them easier to defend when they don't.

I think the pieces are there but it's interesting, UNLV has now played 4 teams in the conference. UCLA played an exhibition 6 weeks ago and hammered them. Stanford beat them by 29 on a neutral court, and ASU beat them by 22 at ASU, and Utah beat them by 12, without Loveridge, in Vegas. UNLV is obviously young and getting better(in spite of their coach), but sort of interesting that UNLV was more competitive with UA than any other team in teh conference.

I still think UA wins the conference, but unbeaten sure seems unlikely, and it sure looks like Utah and UW might give them a fight.
Points on RHJ are correct however the transitive property game is nonsense in sports.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Looking at the schedule I think 16-2 is quite doable, you only play UW once. You do play Stan and Cal twice but I just don't think they are going to be good enough.

I figure you lose at UW and at Utah and win the rest. #1 seed in the West with a very good shot at Miller's first Final 4.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Points on RHJ are correct however the transitive property game is nonsense in sports.

I agree its' just intriguing that they've played 4 real games and 5 overall against the Pac 12 and UA is not only the only team they've beaten, it's the only team they didn't lose by double digits too.

My guess is without seeing several of those games, those other teams either played zone or a sagging man. Miller doesn't zone, you can't run all those clearouts against a zone and it doesn't work well against sagging man either.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Looking at the schedule I think 16-2 is quite doable, you only play UW once. You do play Stan and Cal twice but I just don't think they are going to be good enough.

I figure you lose at UW and at Utah and win the rest. #1 seed in the West with a very good shot at Miller's first Final 4.

Can't wait to get Hec'd in Seattle, it's been. While

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

RHJ comes off the bench by his own choice. He believes it's better for both him and the team.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RHJ comes off the bench by his own choice. He believes it's better for both him and the team.

I'm sure he says that but I suspect there's other reasons. York has been rumored to be transferring out since the day he set foot on campus. Johnson is if not the biggest recruit in UA history, tied with Gordon for the biggest. It was going to be very tough for Miller to not start those 2 and not ruffle feathers.

I suspect Rondae is just a good enough kid he said yes when Miller asked.

I think UA could beat lots of teams starting Ashley at the 5, Rondae the 4 and Johnson at the 3 but then you have to keep Tarc happy when he's not starting, and you have to keep Ashley happy playing the 5 which he doesn't want to do.

My guess is Miller simply felt of his top 6 players the only 2 kids who would handle not starting were Rondae or McConnell, and he needs TJ because he's the PG.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm sure he says that but I suspect there's other reasons. York has been rumored to be transferring out since the day he set foot on campus. Johnson is if not the biggest recruit in UA history, tied with Gordon for the biggest. It was going to be very tough for Miller to not start those 2 and not ruffle feathers.

I suspect Rondae is just a good enough kid he said yes when Miller asked.

I think UA could beat lots of teams starting Ashley at the 5, Rondae the 4 and Johnson at the 3 but then you have to keep Tarc happy when he's not starting, and you have to keep Ashley happy playing the 5 which he doesn't want to do.

My guess is Miller simply felt of his top 6 players the only 2 kids who would handle not starting were Rondae or McConnell, and he needs TJ because he's the PG.

After his 7 turnovers last night I think Johnson might need to swap with Rondae

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, it has to be York.

That would be my take too. I believe you always make the decision that gives you the chance to be the best over the course of the season. The upside on York is just not what it is with Johnson or Rondae. You become better defensively immediately, it improves your rebounding, and your long term potential gets better because you play Stanley and Rondae together more.

I've never quite got why York plays that much literally all he does is make open 3's. 1 RPG, 1.5 APG, doesn't get to the line very much etc. He's a nice role player but I think UA wins with their defense and they'd be a matchup nightmare for most teams with Johnson at the 2 and Rondae at the 3.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
York has been starting because his defense has been solid and because Miller is trying to get him a hot shooting hand early I think. It hasn't worked yet.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
York has been starting because his defense has been solid and because Miller is trying to get him a hot shooting hand early I think. It hasn't worked yet.

I don't think his defense is solid at all, UNLV was literally finding York and running clearouts for whoever he was guarding. And York doesn't rebound at all which is important if Rondae isn't on the floor.

I actually found an article where Miller stated that Rondae had "agreed" to be the 6th man so it clearly wasn't his idea just being a good teammate and agreed to it.

hard to say, I still think UA is the best team but I think Utah is right there and while I suspect UW is a bit overrated, hard to argue with results. Who would have thought that a guy nobody wanted not that long ago because of his off court bad habits, would wind up as possibly the key for them in Robert Upshaw. Didn't even bat an eye when they got him the kid was so immature and now he's been terrific for them. He and Poeltl have completely changed the outlook for the season for those 2 teams.

TJ

Reaction score

York's defense is ok, which on a Sean Miller coached team, is unacceptable. Having RHJ start instead of York would set the tone for the game early, which has been somewhat of an issue up to this point. York is your quintessential come off of the bench and hit a couple of threes when it's time to pick up the pace kind of guy.

I get that RHJ allegedly said that he'd gladly come off of th bench, but at this point, he needs to supplant York.

Last edited:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Not sure why York ever started in the first place. The spacing argument is nonsense, not like we were a great shooting team last year starting Gordon at the 3 and Johnson at the 2. But other teams literally couldn't score or rebound against us and we won our first 21 games.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard