2014 Arizona Basketball

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Not that he needs the recruiting help, but the exposure to these high profile kids and their parents is certainly s benefit.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
For some reason I can't embed on my phone but some new highlights of Simon in the dunk contest looks to be around 6'6". He could see time at SF with that length.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This Cal thing is getting VERY interesting. Swanigan just decommitted from Michigan State with rumors he's either going to Cal or UK although apparently another rumor has him going to Purdue with the promise of PF not C. If he goes to Cal they're absolutely loaded.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Honestly that guy is the biggest jackass on the internet and a liability to Arizona Athletics. Actually his band of sycophants are the biggest jackasses on the internet for hanging on his every word.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly that guy is the biggest jackass on the internet and a liability to Arizona Athletics. Actually his band of sycophants are the biggest jackasses on the internet for hanging on his every word.

one of these days they're going to get UA in trouble with the NCAA on that site. There's a story on there right now about Allonzo Trier where unless they changed the rules, they are directly quoting him admitting to an amateurism violation while in HS.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Yep, especially after hearing rumors of coach wanting the Pels job.

That was about the softest rumor I've ever heard, so much so that I doubt it was remotely true. He just took over USA U19, which makes it seem completely nonsensical.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was about the softest rumor I've ever heard, so much so that I doubt it was remotely true. He just took over USA U19, which makes it seem completely nonsensical.

other than Ben Howland, who wouldn't want to coach Jrue Holiday? And of course that guy with the unibrow :D

Agreed Miller doesn't strike me as the type of college coach that wants to be an NBA coach. I suspect there are a few jobs he might take if offered, elite jobs like UK or UNC, but he's probably quite happy where he is.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
other than Ben Howland, who wouldn't want to coach Jrue Holiday? And of course that guy with the unibrow :D

Agreed Miller doesn't strike me as the type of college coach that wants to be an NBA coach. I suspect there are a few jobs he might take if offered, elite jobs like UK or UNC, but he's probably quite happy where he is.

I dont think he leaves for a college job. Maybe Im crazy but I just dont see it at this point.

NBA? Whole different ball game. And had he made the Final Four he might be in the Pels job.

Ive always worried about the NBA with Miller. He needs to have some more success before it comes a reality.

And I dont blame him for wanting to take the Pels job if thats true. Thats Anthony freaking Davis.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont think he leaves for a college job. Maybe Im crazy but I just dont see it at this point.

NBA? Whole different ball game. And had he made the Final Four he might be in the Pels job.

Ive always worried about the NBA with Miller. He needs to have some more success before it comes a reality.

And I dont blame him for wanting to take the Pels job if thats true. Thats Anthony freaking Davis.

I guess you never know but he doesn't strike me as an NBA guy. He's basically been around coaches his whole life but always at the HS or college level.

I also think he'd have to RADICALLY change how he interacts with players to coach in the NBA. That screaming until your face turns pink and you look like you're going to explode doesn't get you very far in the NBA. Player coach in college means something totally different than what it means in the NBA, in the NBA it means a coach who understands he'll get fired long before the players are traded if they don't like him.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Miller is not going anywhere, he just got an extension and only needs ABOR to approve it. Plus, his one son goes to the UofA and is a manager for the team and his other son is in high school at Catalina Foothills, playing on the basketball team.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Miller is not going anywhere, he just got an extension and only needs ABOR to approve it. Plus, his one son goes to the UofA and is a manager for the team and his other son is in high school at Catalina Foothills, playing on the basketball team.

Yep I can't think of a single example in recent history where a coach left a job after signing an extension and having 1 son attending the college with another son on the way.

Happens fairly often, it just depends are there jobs Miller wants or is he happy at UA. I think he's happy there now, if UNC or UK came calling we'd found out HOW happy he is at UA.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

It probably was. I got a little paranoid when I first read it, but couldn't really blame him if the NBA gave him a shot, especially with AD as the franchise player.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It probably was. I got a little paranoid when I first read it, but couldn't really blame him if the NBA gave him a shot, especially with AD as the franchise player.

My guess is the source of the rumor was Calipari. Remember he turned down UA and then recommended Miller. My guess is he turned down the Pelicans and did the same thing.

Miller probably didn't even know.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
My guess is the source of the rumor was Calipari. Remember he turned down UA and then recommended Miller. My guess is he turned down the Pelicans and did the same thing.

Turned down is factual but only because he got Kentucky. Otherwise good chance he is in Tucson right now.

Pretty glad it went down the way it did. Now thats a guy with wanderlust.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I guess you never know but he doesn't strike me as an NBA guy. He's basically been around coaches his whole life but always at the HS or college level.

I also think he'd have to RADICALLY change how he interacts with players to coach in the NBA. That screaming until your face turns pink and you look like you're going to explode doesn't get you very far in the NBA. Player coach in college means something totally different than what it means in the NBA, in the NBA it means a coach who understands he'll get fired long before the players are traded if they don't like him.

Like Tom Thibedeau? Or Randy Wittman? Or Doc Rivers? or even Pop? Spolestra? Skiles?

Most of these guys have their moments and flash tempers. I dont see Miller as being anything different then the guys above. Mike Stoops he is not.

Then again UCLA gonna hate every chance they get!

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Who knows. What I read was from someone with a source inside the Pels front office, but as TJ said, it was a really soft rumor that's not worth discussing. I only mentioned it because the offseason is painful.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson