2014 Arizona Basketball

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
9 points away from 3 final fours? So they lost the other 2 by negative 10? Xavier lost to UCLA by 19 in the Elite 8.

Getting to 4 Elite 8's is the sign of a terrific coach, one would assume he'll eventually get over the hump.

You're right. Going off of memory there.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're right. Going off of memory there.

I actually think there is some website somewhere that has that stat incorrectly because last year UA fans were citing it too, but just for the 3.

Side question, am I the only one who thinks UA might still be playing if they'd gotten Winslow instead of Stanley Johnson?

Stanley can play but Winslow does so many things, love that kid.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I actually think there is some website somewhere that has that stat incorrectly because last year UA fans were citing it too, but just for the 3.

Side question, am I the only one who thinks UA might still be playing if they'd gotten Winslow instead of Stanley Johnson?

Stanley can play but Winslow does so many things, love that kid.

Winslow's good but their FR class has been great as a whole. Okafor will go #1 or #2, Winslow will go Top 10 but Tyus Jones has also made an impact this year sharing the backcourt with Cook.

Besides York & Pitts (TJ is decent), UA is a poor outside shooting team. You really need to be able to shoot in the tournament as rebounding and defense (UA's calling cards) was not enough to get them into the Final Four.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stanley has dropped to #9 on Draftexpress. No way he's getting drafted before Winslow.

I would not be shocked if he falls like a brick in the draft. I think he is OK but no way a top 10 pick. He needs to stay one more year in college, IMO.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Winslow's good but their FR class has been great as a whole. Okafor will go #1 or #2, Winslow will go Top 10 but Tyus Jones has also made an impact this year sharing the backcourt with Cook.

Besides York & Pitts (TJ is decent), UA is a poor outside shooting team. You really need to be able to shoot in the tournament as rebounding and defense (UA's calling cards) was not enough to get them into the Final Four.

I actually think Winslow might go ahead of Stanley in the draft unless Stanley really works out well.

Not saying Stanley can't play, but Winslow is a better overall player IMO.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Izzo did such fantastic job coaching Michigan St. into the Final Four again this season. They faced a tougher road than au did and I have to tip my hat to the guy. It seems like he gets his teams to peak at the right time and play above their talent level. I'd take him over Miller.
I don't know if MSU had a tougher road. They would have lost to Wisconsin too. Izzo is the man though but the fact that this year and not last year's team of his made the Final Four is a testament to not only his coaching ability but the randomness of the Tournament.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Devastated by this loss. Mostly for TJ and Coach. They both deserved the legacy a Final 4 brings.

I knew Wisconsin was our worst matchup. Like Mark Titus said on Grantland I would have rather played Kentucky to get to Final 4 then Wisconsin.

We just have no answer for Kaminsky. And when we adjusted Dekker played out of his mind and had the best 20 miutes of his career.

I cant even be mad. Our very good wasnt enough for their flawless.

But damn poor TJ. Miller will get his but TJ deserved that Final 4 next to his name.

Now we will never know if we could have taken Kentucky. sigh.

And yes when factoring in age i wouldnt take ANY coach over Miller. Hes the best recruiter not named Calipari (excpet he does it the right way), a great in game coach, and most importantly the EXACT guy i want as the brand of my program.

Hell get there. But damn the f****** karma last 2 years. First Bash going down and then being in the same draw as the 2nd or 3rd best team in the nation depending on where you slot UA.

Terrible. Freaking terrible.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score

Trier and a Senior York should fix that.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I definitely teared up when McConnell came out crying. Aww man college athletics. Bleed for our program.

TJ

Reaction score
I actually think Winslow might go ahead of Stanley in the draft unless Stanley really works out well.

Not saying Stanley can't play, but Winslow is a better overall player IMO.

Stanley is a slightly better defender and is more well-rounded than Winslow, IMO.

I think Stanley will help himself in predraft workouts. Stanley is arguably Miller's best NBA product he's ever put in the league.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arizona sites reporting they're getting transfer Damion Lee from Drexel. Maryland sites reporting THEY are getting Lee, he's from the area and good friends with Romelo Trimble. And apparently Gonzaga thinks they are getting him. Will be interesting to see where he goes.

Johnson will be interesting, I think everyone assumed he was just looking for press when he said he was undecided but he still hasn't declared and now you gotta wonder is he going to be that rare lottery pick that comes back.

Rabb announces tomorrow, Cal still the favorite, some UA sites reporting Johnson is trying to recruit Rabb saying he'll stay if Rabb comes too.

Could be an interesting few days. UA will either really load up in a few days or not.

TJ

Reaction score
Arizona sites reporting they're getting transfer Damion Lee from Drexel. Maryland sites reporting THEY are getting Lee, he's from the area and good friends with Romelo Trimble. And apparently Gonzaga thinks they are getting him. Will be interesting to see where he goes.

Johnson will be interesting, I think everyone assumed he was just looking for press when he said he was undecided but he still hasn't declared and now you gotta wonder is he going to be that rare lottery pick that comes back.

Rabb announces tomorrow, Cal still the favorite, some UA sites reporting Johnson is trying to recruit Rabb saying he'll stay if Rabb comes too.

Could be an interesting few days. UA will either really load up in a few days or not.

The whole Lee thing just manifested over the weekend. He's planning on visiting UofA next weekend and Louisville the following week. Mark Tollefson, a 4 from San Francisco, is also visiting.

Stanley is still going pro, despite his alleged vacillations. Today, it was reported that Roc Nation is bidding to be his agent.

Rabb is likely going to Cal, but who knows. No one has been able to accurately predict this situation. He was supposed to commit twice and then balked. He was then looking to sell Swannigan and Brown on being a package deal, but Caleb went to Mich. St and Brown is likely going to UCLA. At this point, if Rabb is picking Cal, it is certainly not for basketball reasons, especially if Wallace declares for the draft. I hadn't read anything that said Stanley has been recruiting him, but Allonzo Trier certainly has.

More than likely, we only end of with Tollefson when everything is said and done. Even if we get none of Tollefson, Lee, Stanley returning, or Rabb, we'll be fine.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The whole Lee thing just manifested over the weekend. He's planning on visiting UofA next weekend and Louisville the following week. Mark Tollefson, a 4 from San Francisco, is also visiting.

Stanley is still going pro, despite his alleged vacillations. Today, it was reported that Roc Nation is bidding to be his agent.

Rabb is likely going to Cal, but who knows. No one has been able to accurately predict this situation. He was supposed to commit twice and then balked. He was then looking to sell Swannigan and Brown on being a package deal, but Caleb went to Mich. St and Brown is likely going to UCLA. At this point, if Rabb is picking Cal, it is certainly not for basketball reasons, especially if Wallace declares for the draft. I hadn't read anything that said Stanley has been recruiting him, but Allonzo Trier certainly has.

More than likely, we only end of with Tollefson when everything is said and done. Even if we get none of Tollefson, Lee, Stanley returning, or Rabb, we'll be fine.

Rabb said at the Hoop Summit that Trier had been recruiting him there and Stanley had been recruiting him back home.

Not sure what happened with Swanigan on the day he announced virtually everyone had him going to Cal. The claim is cal didn't know until he called and told them MSU. Stuff happens I guess.

You have to define what you mean by basketball reasons, not every kid is going to pick the best team. UA sites have been reporting the mom wants him at UA, Rabb and the mom have both publicly stated the opposite, that the mom wants him at Cal because she wants him around for the younger brother. Rabb wants to stay 2 years so it's a big deal for Cal if they get him and he's indicated he wants to be part of building something which works against UA where it's already built.

There's a lot of dominoes, Tollefsen is looking at Cal too, he wants to play a combo 3 and 4, Cal is telling him he will, Arizona is saying that, UCLA is trying to get in on him too but after Octeus it's going to be tough to convince grad transfers getting into UCLA is doable. If UA gets Lee they probably won't get Tollefsen, if Stanley stays they might not get either.

Lee is really good, 2 years ago UCLA and UA both played Drexel. UCLA beat them early, later in the OOC they had a good lead on UA and then Lee got hurt and had to sit and UA pulled even and then pulled ahead. I imagine both schools remember Lee from those games.

Forgot to mention I agree Stanley is probably gone, eventually one of these kids will be telling the truth when they say they're wavering but I doubt it's him. They are allowed to talk to agents as part of the process from what I gather, there's a certain amount of contact they can have so just because a kid is talkign to agents doesn't mean he's gone, but he probably is. He's also been linked to Rob Pelinka Kobe's agent.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the consensus is Rabb will announce for Cal in about 3 hours. So it would be a much bigger shock than Swanigan if he doesn't pick Cal.

ozzfloyd

The Carp
Reaction score
The best sites (in my own opinion of course) for UA sports are:

For the Insider Content

Wildcat Authority
arizona.scout.com/

For the conversation and in game discussion:

Bear Down Wildcats
beardownwildcats.com

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rabb to Cal, says he's trying to recruit Jaylen Brown to join him.

TJ

Reaction score
Rare benefit to not making the tournament. Cuonzo had nothing better to do than to recruit in his backyard.

Oh well.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rare benefit to not making the tournament. Cuonzo had nothing better to do than to recruit in his backyard.

Oh well.

Yeah because Rabb was going to ARizona before the tourney. It had nothing to do with that and everything to do wtih the mom wanting him home, and him wanting to play 2 years and play with his buddy Oscar Frayer in 2 years.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heard he has good info but a giant jerk. Even to his paying customers.

Apparently he rips Scout for stealing his info constantly.

An example was yesterday. They've been saying Rabb to Cal for awhile but for the most part they've been polite. Yesterday they started ripping the kid, called it a "********" decision. Then he committed and Ace on his stupid chat box congratulates the mom for making "a good business decision" ie he got paid. 2 minutes later he pulls down his comments but leaves up the responses so it now looks like they're talking about her restaurant, where the announcement was made, and not alleging Cal paid Rabb.

They're joking that he picked Cal so the Oakland crowd wouldn't burn down his moms' restaurant. Yeah that was why he didn't pick Arizona Ace.

They did the same thing with Jabari Bird, they paid his dad(who played at Cal).

TJ

Reaction score
Yeah because Rabb was going to ARizona before the tourney. It had nothing to do with that and everything to do wtih the mom wanting him home, and him wanting to play 2 years and play with his buddy Oscar Frayer in 2 years.

Rabb was a heavy Arizona lean for a while. The tides turned over the past month or two.

In the end, Rabb wanted to be home more than mom wanted him home. Mom was fine with him going to Tucson.

Obviously, Cuonzo had an advantage with not being in the tournament so he could seal the deal. It was 50/50 at that time, but then shifted quickly to Cal's favor.